Incandescent or Strobe?

• Incandescent

• Strobe

• Mix (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
So right now, I have a 10-segment arrowstik on the rear and an MX7000 on the front of the roof. I have halogen flashers on the front bumper. I can go two ways on the sides, and this is where I need votes.

Option 1 would be four Weldon 7" round incandescent flashers. I have 3 red and 1 blue. One would go in each corner, behind the front doors, with the blue on the passenger rear. Flash pattern would be diagonal wig-wag (if viewed from top).

Option 2 would be four whelen pedestal strobes. They are dual heads with split red/blue filters. They would be mounted in the same four corners, facing sideways, but bolted to the roof.

The biggest advantage of the first one is the simplicity. It would take one flasher to run all four. Since there are 8 bulbs in the strobe option, and the power supplies i have handle 4 or 6, i have to run 2 power supplies. Advantage of the strobes is that roof mounting would mean the side door could open without moving a light. I'm leaning toward the simple Weldon incandescent option. Those lights with 1196 bulbs can be seen for miles and then I'll have even more strobes to stack on my next project. Which option would you go with?
20180305_140721.jpg20180305_140704.jpg

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Yes, I have a few vehicles, so I like having a marked unit because it looks cool in my front yard. XD

Decided to go incandescent, but may still toss a strobe in. I already had a pair R/B on hand and had ordered a pair of red to go with. Supplier only had one, so I am gonna do two reds on driver's side and the one blue on the passenger rear. This leaves me open for how to work around the sliding door. I mounted the rears. Just waiting for the other red to show up. The LED floods above are for scene lighting.
20180306_182719.jpg20180306_172333.jpg

Reactions: kitn1mcc and FCV96

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
It depend on the color and what range you want them to be seen.
Strobe is better in blue than in red and they are usually short range.
Incandecent/halogen is best in red but blue is also quite good. They work much better in long range.
All is depending in what optics the lights have.
I should suggest you to use a mix.

Michael

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
If you're trying to make it look legit AND giving yourself some nighttime protection, get a roll of 4 or 6 inch reflective red tape and do a beltline stripe all around. put some white reflective FIRE letters on the tape stripe on each side, and call it a day. You already have 360 degree lighting and extra rear protection when the engine's running, but I've always found that having a decent reflective package helps tremendously when you're parked at night at a scene.

Reactions: Doyle257 and FCV96

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
+1 on what NPS Ranger said. I do love this generation of Econoline van though. Glad you're keeping it classic with the lighting as well.

Reactions: Wolfie

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
Well it wound up being a mix. Two 7" red incandescent on the left. One 7" blue incandescent on the right-rear. Because those 7" Weldon lights aren't the most common in blue, and because the door would pose issues, I went with a R/B strobe on the roof above that area. I want to make the most of my power supplies, so now I am thinking of sticking a couple of hide-a-way strobes in the tail lights.
20180309_182012.jpg
20180310_152219.jpg

Wolfie

Jul 3, 2016
Arrey, NM
I do love this generation of Econoline van though.
It has been a money pit in the year I have owned it, though nothing too major. The whole reason I bought it is it has a straight 6 and them motors are like impossible to kill.
Glad you're keeping it classic with the lighting as well.
This may be my first vehicle that I can claim even close to "period correct" lighting on.

Reactions: kitn1mcc and FCV96

jmamrak

Jul 17, 2014
Lagrange KY
I like the setup and I am a fan of using a mix of lights. For close and far away protection.
My dad worked at the econoline plant in Ohio from 1973-2000 and then at the truck plant from 2000-2003. I wonder if he was there when that one went down the line?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.