strobesnmore crescent VS feniex puck input

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
hello all, was wondering what you thought about the new strobesnmore Crescent that just became available and the preview of the feniex puck. Me personally i was never really a big fan of under mirror lights until i saw the feniex. When i was browsing the web the other day, I noticed that SNM came out with a new 180 light and it got me thinking should i buy the crescents for under the mirror. If i do which ones should i get, I currently have everything feniex in my vehicle, but before i had my system permanently installed i had a SNM light and it was fine for me. Im just curious and am asking for input.

• Haha
Reactions: tsquale

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
The Feniex product isn't even out of development yet, and judging from past experience, they'll miss the first two to three release dates. So, if you want something soon, don't bet on Feniex.

Reactions: Doyle257 and Tony P

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
As mentioned above, the Feniex puck hasn’t even been released yet (it’s still in R&D), so you won’t find any comparisons here for a while. The SNM crescent was only released about a week ago, so you’ll have to wait for someone to do a review on it.

That being said, if you’re budget-strapped, go with the SNM, because no other under the mirror light will be $50 and SNM’s line generally has decent quality/output. However, if you’re not in any rush and can afford a higher price point, then I’d wait for the Feniex one to come out; IMHO the Feniex price point will probably be somewhere in between the Crescent and the $150 price point of the Whelen & SOS equivalents. I don’t think there will be a major difference between the crescent and puck to the layman, but I think the Feniex version will be higher quality & slightly brighter. Also, I’m not impressed with the under the mirror mounting for the crescent....I didn’t see any mention of a flange to cover the “bail mount” type of bracket for under the mirror mounting (such as what you’d see with the intersectors to cover the wedge) so I don’t think it’ll look as clean

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
Awesome thanks for the input. Yes I am aware that feniex still has the puck in R&D. I’m a really big fan of feniex so what I might do is buy two and see what happens lol. C17LVFD please let me know, I am definitely interested. What colors did you get?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
At least you know the pucks will sync with the rest of your lighting...

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
At least you know the pucks will sync with the rest of your lighting...

I don't know about that. Given the puddle light and tri-color capability, I would say they'll have a different firmware. We all know what happens when feniex "updates" the firmware. It has never been backward compatible.

Reactions: Tony P

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Ummm k.... So here's what I've learned...

SNM Cobras: White. They'll go in my backup lights. They're cannon equivalents. Bright Bright Bright. I've put in cannons before. Looks just as bright to me. Do not work well on a Whelen UHF44 flasher. Made by 911 Signal. Good construction it appears.

SNM Cresents: R/W to compete with the pucks/other under mirror mounted lights. Bright. I'm seeing stars after this which usually doesn't happen so... Bright. Does not work well with the ULF44 on action flash. Maybe other patterns, didn't try. Made by 911 Signal. Mounting bracket for under mirror isn't as sleek as others but it does give the ability to level the light. Trade off at 1/3 the price of SOS Intersectors. You can also surface mount it which is probably the path I'd choose. Feels sturdy. If you're going under mirror, a little black spray paint on the bracket and screw and it would be barely noticeable.

SNM X8T: R/W/A. Bright again. After a QUICK couple min test of two colors on the ULF44's action flash it appears the X8T DOES work on the ULF44... Again this is only INITIAL testing. I'm being held liable if you melt some heads or jack up a flasher. Ion type mounting options. Feels sturdy.

I talked with SNM tech support about these lights before purchasing. They did remark they couldn't speculate on whether they'd work with external flashers or not but generally not recommended unless the lighthead is made for a external flasher.

I want to do a carbide type setup so trying to source other lightheads besides Whelen when reasonable.

I wasn't expecting them all to be made by 911 Signal, but they appear to be decent quality. I'm happy with the light output. For being a Whelen, FS, SOS guy the price point makes them very attractive. I think they'd be good for secondary warning at a minimum. Seems like they far outweigh STL and other cheap stuff, and I think they'll give Feniex a run for it's money when comparing.

Hope that helps.
Seth

Reactions: Skippy and pdk9

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
@tsquale I have there triple threat and its been pretty good. That was my temporary light in the past and is still currently used to this day.

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
The Feniex product isn't even out of development yet, and judging from past experience, they'll miss the first two to three release dates. So, if you want something soon, don't bet on Feniex.
As mentioned above, the Feniex puck hasn’t even been released yet (it’s still in R&D), so you won’t find any comparisons here for a while. The SNM crescent was only released about a week ago, so you’ll have to wait for someone to do a review on it.

That being said, if you’re budget-strapped, go with the SNM, because no other under the mirror light will be $50 and SNM’s line generally has decent quality/output. However, if you’re not in any rush and can afford a higher price point, then I’d wait for the Feniex one to come out; IMHO the Feniex price point will probably be somewhere in between the Crescent and the $150 price point of the Whelen & SOS equivalents. I don’t think there will be a major difference between the crescent and puck to the layman, but I think the Feniex version will be higher quality & slightly brighter. Also, I’m not impressed with the under the mirror mounting for the crescent....I didn’t see any mention of a flange to cover the “bail mount” type of bracket for under the mirror mounting (such as what you’d see with the intersectors to cover the wedge) so I don’t think it’ll look as clean
The Crecents

The Crescents are actually made by 911 Signal (China equivalent of Whelen or Fed Sig) and are GREAT. They are actually a bit brighter than the pucks, they have 3 modes, and have a dedicated low power (cruise 50%) wire - which I think is great if your not using the external flasher on say a CantrolWC for them, but still want to be able to cruise them with the rest of the vehicle. The lack of flange is annoying, but a Whelen V2 flange will do the trick pretty well (approx the same dimensions as the Crescents). They don’t have a puddle light function, but for literally 25-30% of the price of Pucks and Intersectors- it’s kinda a no brainer. **Only reason the buy pucks is they have a Trio version...Cresents only go to Duo. **BTW - 911 Signal also makes this light for Federal Signal - BUT Fed Sig versions are two less LED’s (inside is V shaped while Crescent is like a cross between a U and a V (three flat sides) and FS ones don’t make a dual color one....they also don’t have a flange (but do have the same “surface recess mount flange.”)

O2Warnings

Jul 14, 2020
CT
Ummm k.... So here's what I've learned...

SNM Cobras: White. They'll go in my backup lights. They're cannon equivalents. Bright Bright Bright. I've put in cannons before. Looks just as bright to me. Do not work well on a Whelen UHF44 flasher. Made by 911 Signal. Good construction it appears.

SNM Cresents: R/W to compete with the pucks/other under mirror mounted lights. Bright. I'm seeing stars after this which usually doesn't happen so... Bright. Does not work well with the ULF44 on action flash. Maybe other patterns, didn't try. Made by 911 Signal. Mounting bracket for under mirror isn't as sleek as others but it does give the ability to level the light. Trade off at 1/3 the price of SOS Intersectors. You can also surface mount it which is probably the path I'd choose. Feels sturdy. If you're going under mirror, a little black spray paint on the bracket and screw and it would be barely noticeable.

SNM X8T: R/W/A. Bright again. After a QUICK couple min test of two colors on the ULF44's action flash it appears the X8T DOES work on the ULF44... Again this is only INITIAL testing. I'm being held liable if you melt some heads or jack up a flasher. Ion type mounting options. Feels sturdy.

I talked with SNM tech support about these lights before purchasing. They did remark they couldn't speculate on whether they'd work with external flashers or not but generally not recommended unless the lighthead is made for a external flasher.

I want to do a carbide type setup so trying to source other lightheads besides Whelen when reasonable.

I wasn't expecting them all to be made by 911 Signal, but they appear to be decent quality. I'm happy with the light output. For being a Whelen, FS, SOS guy the price point makes them very attractive. I think they'd be good for secondary warning at a minimum. Seems like they far outweigh STL and other cheap stuff, and I think they'll give Feniex a run for it's money when comparing.

Hope that helps.
Seth
911 Signal is actually the Chinese equivalent of Whelen or Fed Sig in Asia...so price points for performance are insane (hence why they make several Fed Sig and SOS products - but with their actual branding rather than just as “white label” / distributer like SNM. Brighter than most class 1 lights out there - Crescents too. Glad to see someone else finally agree about this

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
911 Signal is actually the Chinese equivalent of Whelen or Fed Sig in Asia...so price points for performance are insane (hence why they make several Fed Sig and SOS products - but with their actual branding rather than just as “white label” / distributer like SNM. Brighter than most class 1 lights out there - Crescents too. Glad to see someone else finally agree about this
What does 911 signal make for SOS?
I was only aware of FedSig & Code 3 outsourcing asian products

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.