Suction Cup Issues

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
So I've been having some issues installing the cobra 1x with suction cup mounts. No matter how well I clean the windshield and the suction cups I cannot get the light to stay put for more than a few days. Anyone have any suggestions on getting them to stick to the windshield more effectively?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
So I've been having some issues installing the cobra 1x with suction cup mounts. No matter how well I clean the windshield and the suction cups I cannot get the light to stay put for more than a few days. Anyone have any suggestions on getting them to stick to the windshield more effectively?
depends on the version 1x you have.

i've heard of people doing everything from dabbing some beer on the suction cups, to boiling them, to just simply putting a dab of silicone on them.

Mrbaxter

Oct 16, 2013
Connecticut
depends on the version 1x you have.

i've heard of people doing everything from dabbing some beer on the suction cups, to boiling them, to just simply putting a dab of silicone on them.

They are the newest version of the 1x

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Suction cups won't last forever, but here's what's worked best for me. Make sure the cups and windshield are clean and the cups are somewhat flexible (e.g., not hard because it's cold in Michigan). Wipe the cups with a wet paper towel so there's some moisture on the cups. Press the unit into place with pressure on all the cups and hold it in place for about 30-60 seconds.

I've gone anywhere from days to 6+ months with a two-suction cup MicroMan bar in the upper rear window of my SUV with this technique. The trick is to get the suction cups to seat and create a vacuum inside them so they hold, so a good seal around the edge is critical.

bobnash78

May 1, 2011
Bloomingdale, Oh
Suction cups won't last forever, but here's what's worked best for me. Make sure the cups and windshield are clean and the cups are somewhat flexible (e.g., not hard because it's cold in Michigan). Wipe the cups with a wet paper towel so there's some moisture on the cups. Press the unit into place with pressure on all the cups and hold it in place for about 30-60 seconds.

I've gone anywhere from days to 6+ months with a two-suction cup MicroMan bar in the upper rear window of my SUV with this technique. The trick is to get the suction cups to seat and create a vacuum inside them so they hold, so a good seal around the edge is critical.

I cut 1/2" metal bars from lowes into 6" pieces. Drilled a hole in one end. Bent the bar a little. Screwed on end onto the microstar mount and shoved the bars up into my headliner. I didn't used the suction cups. Lightbar is solid and doesn't rattle. Unscrew your sunvisor screws to give the headliner some room to move.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.