Suffolk County Police Ford Interceptor

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Not a fan of the Freedom bar on it, but hey, its not my vehicle!!

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Zapp Brannigan said:
Not a fan of the Freedom bar on it, but hey, its not my vehicle!!

They're using what they have available. If you noticed, one of them has an Edge Ultra on it, and I can tell that the Freedoms are used because the new ones have LED takedowns and alleys while those are halogen.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
bfd740 said:
They're using what they have available. If you noticed, one of them has an Edge Ultra on it, and I can tell that the Freedoms are used because the new ones have LED takedowns and alleys while those are halogen.

Oh, I understand, no need to explain, I know how things go during tough times for budgets. Was just throwing out my 2¢.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Beautiful. All of it. :thumbsup:

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Zapp Brannigan said:
Oh, I understand, no need to explain, I know how things go during tough times for budgets. Was just throwing out my 2¢.

It has nothing to do with tough times, that's just how this department does things. They were using Code3 LP lightbars almost exclusively until 2004. They still use Unitrol 80k sirens in everything (which is fine, because I love the way they sound and nobody else around uses them so you know it's PD without looking.)

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
What does it mean accredited agency. It says Police in big letters. I don't think a walker would drive around with Police.

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
being a suffolk county resident, seeing the new cars was a big surprise, the police department has been using old cars and old lightbars forever. they just started swtching over to the ones pictured, use to have clear lensed code 3 rotators and highway had red lensed. the biggest surprise was being so use to seeing " Suffolk Police" decals and now its just giant "POLICE". Im goign to miss knowing when police are speeding through my neighborhood just from the sound of the engines reving up in the crown vics. I also always wanted to know what "accredited agency" stood for because the CALEA database doesnt have the department listed and there is no info on SCPD website. what gets me annoyed is yes, they did switch to the definetly more noticable LED lightbars, but there is no uniformity among lightbars and lens color and pattern. some are all red/clear, others have one blue lens in rear, others have 2, some have amber and red to rear. they dont have any consitency.

what also surprised me is SCPD got control over highways fromt he sheriff dept again, and then i noticed a new F-350 (i think) highway patrol pickup truck slick top but lights up like a freaking ufo to the point of almost blinding. I dont see why highway patrol would need such a huge truck for when they should have fast manuverable cars.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
MetsFan2512 said:
being a suffolk county resident, seeing the new cars was a big surprise, the police department has been using old cars and old lightbars forever. they just started swtching over to the ones pictured, use to have clear lensed code 3 rotators and highway had red lensed. the biggest surprise was being so use to seeing " Suffolk Police" decals and now its just giant "POLICE". Im goign to miss knowing when police are speeding through my neighborhood just from the sound of the engines reving up in the crown vics. I also always wanted to know what "accredited agency" stood for because the CALEA database doesnt have the department listed and there is no info on SCPD website. what gets me annoyed is yes, they did switch to the definetly more noticable LED lightbars, but there is no uniformity among lightbars and lens color and pattern. some are all red/clear, others have one blue lens in rear, others have 2, some have amber and red to rear. they dont have any consitency.

what also surprised me is SCPD got control over highways fromt he sheriff dept again, and then i noticed a new F-350 (i think) highway patrol pickup truck slick top but lights up like a freaking ufo to the point of almost blinding. I dont see why highway patrol would need such a huge truck for when they should have fast manuverable cars.

The truck is a motor carrier safety unit.

As for the lightbars, the Freedom and Edge are nearly identical when turned on. They stopped using the Code 3 XL bars beginning in 2004, and Highway Patrol used to have red-lensed MX7000's until they got the Whelen Highriser bars which they have also been using for many years.

The Edge bars and Freedom bars are both R(TD)RWWR(TD)R to the front.

To the rear the edge bars are BRRAABRR (or BARRRBAR on some older ones. Before they had blue the ambers were further out)

The freedom bars are RBRAABRR the only difference is the first 2 lights are switched so that they don't have a half-blue corner. They used a mix of color and clear lenses over colored LED's so they would look somewhat the same as the Edge bars.

If you want to complain about non-conformity, look at the Sheriffs office because it seems that no two cars are set up the same. They use a combination of models from Code 3 and Whelen with no uniformity even on identical models. There are cars in service right now with Liberties, Freedoms, Edge bars from the 90's, Edge Ultras, MX7000's, and whatever the new Code 3 bars are. Sometimes they put the blues in the middle, sometimes they put them towards the end, and sometimes they use 3 or 4 blues. Some have amber in the back, some do not.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3on8t88Ej1rqvefao1_1280.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/5451689179_eb4222b9df.jpg

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Portals/sheriff/1topaward.jpg

http://blogs.kansascity.com/.a/6a00d83451b1b869e20120a8596687970b-400wi <-- this one was a HOV lane violator

Last edited by a moderator:

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
bfd740 said:

i was driving behind the truck the other day and i noticed 4 things about the truck: 1) there is a massive amount of stealth lighting on the truck ( except to the rear), 2) the decals have no red in it like every other suffolk county police vehicle, 3) theres is nothing marking its SCPD on the rear, its just a white tail gate with a tiny led arrow stick on the roof, 4) the truck has a regular commercial gold NYS license plate instead of the usual blue/ white scpd plates.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
MetsFan2512 said:
i was driving behind the truck the other day and i noticed 4 things about the truck: 1) there is a massive amount of stealth lighting on the truck ( except to the rear), 2) the decals have no red in it like every other suffolk county police vehicle, 3) theres is nothing marking its SCPD on the rear, its just a white tail gate with a tiny led arrow stick on the roof, 4) the truck has a regular commercial gold NYS license plate instead of the usual blue/ white scpd plates.

SCPD does not put any markings on the rear of slicktops and uses passenger (or in this case, commercial) plates so they blend in from the rear.

crazynova

Mar 25, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
MetsFan2512 said:

Our highway patrol uses pickup trucks for commercial enforcement. They keep big rig scales in the back along with other items related to commercial vehicle enforcement.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Lights on an NGPI that aren't LEDs? :yes:

harry425

Aug 17, 2012
new york united states
bfd740 said:

As for the lightbars, the Freedom and Edge are nearly identical when turned on. They stopped using the Code 3 XL bars beginning in 2004, and Highway Patrol used to have red-lensed MX7000's until they got the Whelen Highriser bars which they have also been using for many years.

The Edge bars and Freedom bars are both R(TD)RWWR(TD)R to the front.

To the rear the edge bars are BRRAABRR (or BARRRBAR on some older ones. Before they had blue the ambers were further out)

The freedom bars are RBRAABRR the only difference is the first 2 lights are switched so that they don't have a half-blue corner. They used a mix of color and clear lenses over colored LED's so they would look somewhat the same as the Edge bars.

If you want to complain about non-conformity, look at the Sheriffs office because it seems that no two cars are set up the same. They use a combination of models from Code 3 and Whelen with no uniformity even on identical models. There are cars in service right now with Liberties, Freedoms, Edge bars from the 90's, Edge Ultras, MX7000's, and whatever the new Code 3 bars are. Sometimes they put the blues in the middle, sometimes they put them towards the end, and sometimes they use 3 or 4 blues. Some have amber in the back, some do not.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3on8t88Ej1rqvefao1_1280.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/5451689179_eb4222b9df.jpg

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Portals/sheriff/1topaward.jpg

http://blogs.kansascity.com/.a/6a00d83451b1b869e20120a8596687970b-400wi <-- this one was a HOV lane violator

sems to me light setup,layout,color means nothing what matters is !. they are very well seen when lights are running.2,the new ford cars can handle any,all weather getting anywhere they have to and they do handle MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD CROWN VIC BOATS.only draw backs are a lot smaller than the vic's.which means not much room for storage.but you know what I would rather have my taurus,knowing I will not slip,slide in bad weather

MetsFan2512

Jan 14, 2013
Long Island, NY
i just posted a similar post in the NYSP thread, being a suffolk resident, does SCPD have any unual police vehicles that the public doesnt see every day like trucks, suvs, hummers, ambulances, mobile cmand centers, buses, sem trucks, atvs, offroad trucks, boats, different ermgency service units, ect? i remeber seeign a picture of a highway patrol ford bronco that looked AWSOME, and im a bronco driver myself so i loved it.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
truckingeskimo said:
WTF is with the Streethawk on the pick up in the background?!

Just an old Suburban... the Hawk was probably new when it was installed, or at least lightly-used then swapped when they got the Burb.

mr. awesome

Dec 27, 2010
Queens, NY
Testing.... ?

dd5ee43cc847e6f2fa4ce69ef848e3e5.jpg

I also saw an NGPI with the Whelen HiWay System... (no pics on google yet!)

I suppose they are not looking to give those up.

cnpca4554-vi.jpg

whelenhiriser.gif

I don't even think anyone aside from FDNY, Nassau or Suffolk ever bought them.

I found a timeline of photos in a random folder:

HPIM2333a (Custom).JPG

image.JPG

cnpca4621a-vi.jpg

suffolkny1.jpg

Suffolk_police_car2.jpg

5535224271_b67d6fd641_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Some Fire Departments in Florida have the Hi-Way bar and I think a county has 1 or 2 on deputies vehicles, I think the Sheriff was from NYC.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I guess my definition of "new" is different from yours, but I've seen worse. :thumbsup:

Jun 4, 2010
new york
Whats with the cobra? It doesnt appear to have any lights in it and it has a highway patrol tag assigned to motor carrier safety unit. Does it do any highway work at all or is it solely for the police museum/recruitment drives?

Jun 4, 2010
new york
So I have answered my own question. I met the officer that this vehicle is assigned to. He is the only officer in the dept qualified to drive the car and he has no intention on letting anyone else get qualified on it.. lol Its assigned to the Lieutenant of Highway Patrol, and according to him, he plans on using it for patrol starting next week. He just get it from the Light shop where they installed the lights and for some unknown reason, changed the rims. Long Island Expressway watch out!

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://imageshack.us/a/img39/2517/qecn.jpg[/URL]

w1zg.jpg

expu.jpg

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
I like the car... not my favorite lightbar of course but doesn't look bad... there's still something that looks good about the old bars that still have red and blue LENSES rather than the new clear ones, especially since the red and blue match the scheme of the car!

I don't however like the "Accredited Agency" on it... CALEA stickers are one thing... but think that it looks tacky as is...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.