Suggestions how to light up a Polaris

srulir

Feb 16, 2014
New York
I work in a summer camp for children with special needs and we got this Polaris as a fly car for the medics and in case of a search and need to put lights and sirens on it. I am looking for suggestions of what to do. We put a SnM e66 red/blue in the front. But we need some more lights and a siren. I'm looking for suggestions.

uploadfromtaptalk1395756857876.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395756874229.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395756892470.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What is the intended purpose of the lights? Ease of identification (ie finding it in the field on a call by staff or patients)? Clearing the way in at a packed event? There are a few reasons to light these up, but why you are lighting it changes what best suits it.

srulir

Feb 16, 2014
New York
JohnMarcson said:
What is the intended purpose of the lights? Ease of identification (ie finding it in the field on a call by staff or patients)? Clearing the way in at a packed event? There are a few reasons to light these up, but why you are lighting it changes what best suits it.

We need it for identification and warning when we drive around the camp on a call and we go out on public roads every now and then for emergencies near the camp

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
But seriously like John said what's if being primarily used for?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
srulir said:
We need it for identification and warning when we drive around the camp on a call and we go out on public roads every now and then for emergencies near the camp
If you drive that thing on public roadways, blue to the front is not allowed in NY State. The only exception is authorized volunteer firefighters. In fact, come to think of it, unless it is an authorized emergency vehicle of some kind, red and white are not allowed at all, at least on public roads. Same for a siren.

That said, you could put LAWs in the lights, or add a few light heads. I'd suggest at least two levels of lighting; one down low at the body level, and one up on top of the roll frame.

Some 360 amber at two levels plus a loud horn would be plenty for that UTV.

srulir

Feb 16, 2014
New York
Steve0625 said:
If you drive that thing on public roadways, blue to the front is not allowed in NY State. The only exception is authorized volunteer firefighters. In fact, come to think of it, unless it is an authorized emergency vehicle of some kind, red and white are not allowed at all, at least on public roads. Same for a siren.

That said, you could put LAWs in the lights, or add a few light heads. I'd suggest at least two levels of lighting; one down low at the body level, and one up on top of the roll frame.

Some 360 amber at two levels plus a loud horn would be plenty for that UTV.

Our camp is actually out in the Poconos. And it is used in Jersey during the year where they can have red/blue in the front. Any suggestions on a waterproof siren?

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
Honestly, do you really need THAT much lighting on an ATV?

You're not blocking off roads, you're not driving long distances (or high speeds) on most roadways, and it's just a waste of money to overload that thing.

Strobe beacon on top. MAYBE a set of grille lights front and back.

My department has an ATV and all we need is a beacon on top. And siren? Really? You're not pulling people over. You're not running codes through red lights..

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Unless you enjoy deafness or not being able to hear your radio or people around you yelling at you, lose the siren. A decent beacon on top, like a Whelen 800 so it can be seen from the air. Maybe a couple of TIR's in the grill or wiring a HLF to the headlights. You'll notice that the real working ATV's & Gators from real agencies often have minimal lights, maybe just responding with 4 way flashers. Remember your vehicle is not highway legal or an emergency vehicle in NY, NJ or PA.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I'll re-post what I said on the other thread the OP started before it was deleted.

This is an ATV used primarily on private property, there's no reason to go overboard given it's stated purpose: campus medic fly-car and woodland search and rescue vehicle.

All that's needed is a roll bar-mounted rotating beacon of whatever color is appropriate for 360 degree recognition and Whelen's 30 watt self-contained siren/pa speaker.

Installing a 100 watt siren would tax the motorcycle battery that runs a typical ATV.

Anything more is just stupid.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'd be more concerned with adding led scene or flood lights to the sides if this is going to be used for any type of woodland sar

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
CHIEFOPS said:
I'll re-post what I said on the other thread the OP started before it was deleted.
This is an ATV used primarily on private property, there's no reason to go overboard given it's stated purpose: campus medic fly-car and woodland search and rescue vehicle.

All that's needed is a roll bar-mounted rotating beacon of whatever color is appropriate for 360 degree recognition and Whelen's 30 watt self-contained siren/pa speaker.

Installing a 100 watt siren would tax the motorcycle battery that runs a typical ATV.

Anything more is just stupid.

So putting a strobe beacon on top would be enough than?

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Whatever beacon, minibar, lights, etc you put on it, you need to consider keeping them from being ripped off of the unit by tree limbs since you stated you'd be using it in the woods. Proper guards, mounting below the roll cage, and/or telescoping / retractable poles are a must. Ditch the siren unless wearing hearing protection.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
MESDA6 said:
Whatever beacon, minibar, lights, etc you put on it, you need to consider keeping them from being ripped off of the unit by tree limbs since you stated you'd be using it in the woods. Proper guards, mounting below the roll cage, and/or telescoping / retractable poles are a must. Ditch the siren unless wearing hearing protection.

And you can always have someone build a brush guard for it.

Little bit round steal and some welding and you've got a brush guard.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Last edited by a moderator:

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
In earlier posts along similar lines I wrote about the whelen mini siren WSSC 30 Watt.

Its too loud ! Dont dpo it

Polaris Horn and a mini beacon such as 11 inch or 16 inch Century more than adequate

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
srulir said:
I work in a summer camp for children with special needs and we got this Polaris as a fly car for the medics and in case of a search and need to put lights and sirens on it. I am looking for suggestions of what to do. We put a SnM e66 red/blue in the front. But we need some more lights and a siren. I'm looking for suggestions.

I'd look at the Whelen Ion V series for the front bumper and rear roof mounts, (the amperage requirements are perfect for a UTV which typically has a 10% electrical system cushion). The have a 3-in-1 light along with 180 degree Class 1 coverage.

I'd also install a simple wig-wag HLF on the roll bar mounted aux front facing lights.

I'd mount the Whelen 30W siren on the front bar if you want to save your hearing.

I'd also install a secondary battery w/isolator because "as-is" your charging system is already operating on a deficient.

RJ

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
srulir said:
I work in a summer camp for children with special needs and we got this Polaris as a fly car for the medics and in case of a search and want to put lights and sirens on it. I am looking for suggestions of what to do. We put a SnM e66 red/blue in the front. But we need some more lights and a siren. I'm looking for suggestions.

Fixed it for you.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
My agency has a Polaris Ranger. It has a mini liberty on the roof (red/blue). 4- 5mm 500 series lights to the rear in amber (2 on the back of the headrests, 2 on the tailgate). Whelen Pioneer Plus to the front (replaced the high beams). 2 40w Chinese LED Flood lights on the roof (aimable). And a 45w siren (we use the airhorn primarily for clearing people in a crowd)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.