Suggestions on visor lights with full scene lights

jayzce

Jun 1, 2010
Philippines/Manila
I currently have the older Code3 Supervisor SL on my 2010 Expedition. I'm looking at upgrading i guess to a red/blue with white scene lights and take downs. I would like to hear your thoughts, opinions and recommendations on what would be the best choice in terms of brightness of course which is the most important and the rest includes, flash patterns and what would work on my application.

The Supervisor SL is a good slim visor lights however due to an older version light I'm stuck with the random flash pattern. Since this also needs to be set individually if you wanted to change it's pattern. :(

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Feniex Cobra ILB with TDs, plenty of color and the TDs will light up a car interior at 50-75ft. Or an Apollo if you really need the full flood option, it doesn't throw the white as far but gives full frontal 180deg.

jayzce

Jun 1, 2010
Philippines/Manila
I've been checkin out videos on you tube and yeah i think Feniex is bright.

Can the Cobra run dual colors? Because on the website if you configure the interior light there's only white available for takedown, no dual options.

What are the pros and cons of the Cobra and Apollo? based on the looks of the Cobra they are more on the spot type focused output compared to the Apollo's which i think more on the off axis focus output.

Can anyone enlighten me on these?

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I've been checkin out videos on you tube and yeah i think Feniex is bright.

Can the Cobra run dual colors? Because on the website if you configure the interior light there's only white available for takedown, no dual options.

What are the pros and cons of the Cobra and Apollo? based on the looks of the Cobra they are more on the spot type focused output compared to the Apollo's which i think more on the off axis focus output.

Can anyone enlighten me on these?

The Cobra is single-color only, with standard TIR optics (70-degre spread) on the lenses. The Apollo can be single- or dual-color, with 180-degree spread lenses.

Both use the same LEDs that are the same brightness, so the lumens are the same - the Apollo is just more diffused due to the wider angle lenses. If you REALLY want to light things up, get an Apollo with R/W & B/W dual color heads, and FOUR takedowns. You'd still have three R or B heads on either side for warning, and could set the white pattern to steady-on for a flood effect and link that trigger wire to your TD trigger wire, giving you white flood with all 4 takedowns.

I also know of a guy who purchased a Cobra interior bar with nothing but takedowns - he didn't want an exterior bar on his truck, but wanted to drive cross-country in the desert at night.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I think the FedSig spectralux ILB is hands down the brightest ILB on the market today. Bright flashing colors & IMO the brightest flood lighting.

The newest whelen duo with the linear 6 head modules is my 2nd vote in terms of brightness.

The Feniex ILB isn't bad at all, but they're more of a mid-level product, while the whelen and FedSig options are more of a premium product. If I was gonna go with an option a slight step down from the whelen and FedSig bars, I would go with the nforce ILB multi color; very bright and slim, but I don't think their intensity matches the spectralux

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I second the FedSig SpectraLux ILB. You can get it in TRIO with red/blue/flood. Like pdk9, it's hands down the brightest I've seen.

Second is the SOS nForce, also can be purchased as a TRIO. This bar actually has the cleanest tightest interior fit I've seen to date. The FedSig ILB has open spots along the headliner.

Then would come the Whelen Inner Edge XLP and Feniex Cobra.

jayzce

Jun 1, 2010
Philippines/Manila
Been a while since i have heard people mention Federal signal lighting products. I've been hearing Feniex for a long time. I have seen Fedsig's pattern video and yeah i think it's bright as you guys mentioned. But they cost a lot. Might have to save more in the coming month's. Good thing they have the Expedition application.

Does this units come with control box? or just the typical wires and user supplied switches?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Been a while since i have heard people mention Federal signal lighting products. I've been hearing Feniex for a long time. I have seen Fedsig's pattern video and yeah i think it's bright as you guys mentioned. But they cost a lot. Might have to save more in the coming month's. Good thing they have the Expedition application.

Does this units come with control box? or just the typical wires and user supplied switches?

Yes, they've grown a lot since their inception...I remember not too long ago their website release kept on getting pushed back and ppl were talking shit about them as if they were gonna be another STL. They're reliable, quality products in the budget-friendly range and they have good customer service b/c they're still a relatively small company. Feniex recently converted their apollos from 6 diodes to 12 diodes, so products using the Apollo definitely won't disappoint in terms of brightness (I'm just not a fan of their flash patterns).

The spectralux doesn't come with controls, but you can wire it yourself or utilize the simple "plug and play" with some of the FedSig sirens (i.e. Smart siren, PA300-CN, etc). As I mentioned above, consider the nforce series.

Another option is the new Star phantom ILB Lineum. I've never been very impressed with their 5mm or Gen 4 LEDs, but the new lineum optics & dual color option looks promising at a lower price point than the whelen & FedSig options.

Please don't even consider using C3 in the future b/c Code 3 is overprice junk.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.