Switch box wiring help

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
I need to rewire a switch box but not really sure how to go about it does anyone have a picture of the inside of a switch box that they can post ive googled and cant find anything at all

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
If you have to ask, you'll never know.... Seriously though, there's hundreds of different switch boxes out there, not including all the one offs people make to suit their needs. We may be able to guide you through what you want but to generically ask for a picture of a switchbox won't get you anywhere. How about some more info. Manufacturer, model number, number of switches, all toggle? Pursuit slide? Etc

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
Its a 4 switch i cant find no model number its a pretty old one i found laying around the station and they had no use for it. Its pretty much gonna be wiring a lightbar and 2 grill lights to it

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I assume your looking for a diagram on what the inputs/outputs are. Does it have screw terminals or just a harness hanging out. Posting a picture of the wires we might be able to deductively figure it out.

Your heavier red wire will be power in, then just you an ohm meter to figure out what switch does what wire.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
No offense, you might be a little in over your head here. So it has a quick connect on the back. I'm guessing you don't know what style it is. Does it have 9 spots for wires? If so it would mean 4 are inputs, 4 are outputs, 1 would be a ground. Are your switches backlit or are they just switches. Better off figuring out what the connector is and make a new pigtail harness instead of trying to rewire the insides of the box

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
Yea i just talked some other peopel pretty much im just gonna cut it and use the box and switches and redo the insides would be easier from what i was told

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
Yea theres no markings on it at all just a black box with 4 switches so thats why im just gonna gut it and redo it

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
If they're illuminated switches, each switch will have three terminals. One terminal is power in, one is power out, and one is ground for the light. There's often a marking on the switch body that identifies what is what.

Typically, all the power in terminals will be tied together and to a fused +12V source. The ground terminals will be tied to ground. Each power out goes to a load.

This manual is for a Fed Sig SW300, but the diagram will give you a general idea: http://www.fedsig.com/docs/256A568.pdf

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidey1234

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.