Switchbox rear illumination question.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Installing a switch box and wondering where the best place is to get the illumination feed from. On older vehicles I would typically grab it from the stereo if it didnt have a dimmer. I am concerned that the feed to the current radio runs through the BCM or similar and I dont want to stress those systems.

What do you have for suggestions to safely get illumination to the switch box or other info?

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
if it's a nextgen police vehicle-2011 forward, there should be a dimmer wire included in it's police interface harness, check the manufacturer's modifier guide.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Since you will already have a suitable power feed coming in to the switchbox, you could install a small relay inside of the switchbox. That way, the only draw on the illumination wire would be from the relay's coil.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
The LED illumination on most switch boxes is about 0.1 A or less. Nothing to worry about.

This is a good point!

In older switchboxes that use incandescent lamps for backlighting, the draw will be higher. For instance, the Federal Signal SW300 uses three small lamps, which draw 5 watts each. The total backlighting current requirement for an SW300 is just over one amp.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.