Sync Wires & Pattern Change Wires

fenwayfrankee

Sep 24, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm going to be installing 2 Whelen Vertex and 2 Whelen 400 series LED lights to my front and 4 Whelen Vertex to my rear. 

My question is where do you connect your sync wires too? Do you uses a central terminal block or do you link them together out at the lights? If out at the links what technique to you use to connect 4 wires together?

Also, what do you do with the pattern change wire? Do you run them all back to a terminal block for easy accessibility and easy change of patterns? If you don't what do you then do with that wire? How do you protect and secure the bare end?

Thanks.

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I have moved your thread to a section I believe will be more beneficial to refer to in the future.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I'm going to be installing 2 Whelen Vertex and 2 Whelen 400 series LED lights to my front and 4 Whelen Vertex to my rear. 

My question is where do you connect your sync wires too? Do you uses a central terminal block or do you link them together out at the lights? If out at the links what technique to you use to connect 4 wires together?

Also, what do you do with the pattern change wire? Do you run them all back to a terminal block for easy accessibility and easy change of patterns? If you don't what do you then do with that wire? How do you protect and secure the bare end?
I have always connected the sync wires directly to each other. Any lightheads close enough each other (such as multiple HAWs in a tail light) it is just easier to wire them together. If I have to run a wire to connect sync from front to back, may as well just run one wire to the light head, instead of 1 wire from the fronts (assuming you wired the fronts directly to each other) to a terminal, and the each back light to the terminal. Less wires make it easier to diagnose an issue.

Connecting them together, I solder and heat shrink.

Only one of my pattern change wires do I use "on the fly", and it is wired directly into my Feniex 4200. The other lights I typically just "set and forget". I will either cut the pattern change wire short, and heat shrink the end to prevent it from making any erroneous contact and changing itself (especially the (-) switched patt change wires). They are still accessible, but I really REALLY have to want to go digging to change them, so I make sure I like my patterns first.

Reactions: Chris W

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
It really depends on how you want to set up your lights. 

If you just want to sync the front and the rear seperate just connect the lights together that are close to each other. 

If you want to sync the front with the rear and the side you can either do it like Zapp and use less wire or run them all to a terminal block like I do. 

Reason for that is that I want to have the lights installed as separate as possible to make replacements easy. 

I even use connectors to easily unplug them and use different wire colors. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.