Sync'd rotator bars

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I'm putting together a list of all the rotator bars that have sync'd rotators and need help completing it. Please comment with lights I'm missing in the lists below.

I've divided the list into bars that have all their rotators sync'd together and bars that have smaller groups of rotators sync'd together (usually pairs), but don't have all the separate groups on the bar sync'd with each other (e. g. SDs and sealed beam XLs). I've only included US bars so far but I'm interested in adding European bars as well (e. g. belt Vistas).

:All:
Twin Beacon Rays
TwinSonics
Geared AeroDynics
AeroTwinSonics
Chain JetSonics

:Groups:
SD
Sealed beam XL
Advantedge OSC

Though I've owned a Vision Premium and several SLR bars, I'm not sure whether their rotators are sync'd electronically or if they just start in sync and are so closely speed matched that it takes a long time for them to appear out of sync.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
One that was synched, rarely seen today and somewhat obscure would be the Dietz Omni Chief, also sold as the Smith & Wesson 7700 bar. These bars used a rubber drive belt connecting the rotating shafts to a single motor.

Reactions: CrownVic97

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Was not very common, but here in Europe there was also a (in groups) syncronized version of the Code3 XL5000 and LP6000 Lightbars.

IMG_3695a.jpg
Not in top condition, but it still exists.

And from the federal signal VAMA Vista there was also a version with two sycronized halogen rotators per side.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Was not very common, but here in Europe there was also a (in groups) syncronized version of the Code3 XL5000 and LP6000 Lightbars.

View attachment 231221
Not in top condition, but it still exists.

And from the federal signal VAMA Vista there was also a version with two sycronized halogen rotators per side.
So did both motors run together and equal each other out or was one a slave, one was the master?

I'd take an XL I have in storage to try this idea out for sure :D

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
So did both motors run together and equal each other out or was one a slave, one was the master?

I'd take an XL I have in storage to try this idea out for sure :D
both motors run together.

first the rotator bases was rotated, then one motor was moved to the opposite side of the base and rotated by 180° (with a extra bracket) so that both motors can be connected with a hexagonal shaft. In order for both motors to turn in the same direction, also the polarity must be reversed on the moved/rotated motor.

I'll take pictures later without the reflectors, then you can see / recognize it better.

Reactions: CrownVic97

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

first the rotator bases was rotated, then one motor was moved to the opposite side of the base and rotated by 180° (with a extra bracket) so that both motors can be connected with a hexagonal shaft. In order for both motors to turn in the same direction, also the polarity must be reversed on the moved/rotated motor.

I'll take pictures later without the reflectors, then you can see / recognize it better.
Cool! Thanks, man! Yeah, now the question is how hard is it to find a hexagonal shaft? Hmmm...

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana

I remember a thread with photos of something very similar to what you're describing many years back, but I have been unable to find them again.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Yeah...hmmm...good question. Maybe I'll search around online for 3/16 hex stock.

I definitely do want to try this idea. Think I could make a cool, unique bar to put up for sale later!

Reactions: denko3

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Reactions: denko3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.