Syncing TIR-6 SlimLighters?

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I know this has been done, but I forget who did it the right way, and who did it the easy way. Anyhow, how can I sync the flashers of two TIR-6 SlimLighters? It looks like there are about 4 unused holes on the flasher that are labeled J1 for example. I bet one of these is a sync terminal.

Does anybody else know what I am talking about, or shall I try different things and see for myself? Has anyone done this successfully?

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
If you want to do it right... the TIR6 heads are passive... extend the wires and put all four light heads on a ULF44 and call it a day.

Seth

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
shues said:
I know this has been done, but I forget who did it the right way

egriggs did it, and this picture was made at that time. The text of the instructions however, are long gone.

ai93.photobucket.com_albums_l41_Pimpala03_SlimlighterSynchronization.jpg

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Thanks for the info Pimp and Seth!

So egriggs is using the outputs from one flasher to flash one lighthead on each SlimLighter? That's what I called the easy way, above. This method would not scale well, and would probably not work with more than 2 SlimLighters without burning up the flasher. Besides, four wires are overkill. All he needs to run is three wires: one positive and a ground from each output on the flasher.

Perhaps I will have to burn a few of these up to learn what the other terminals on the flasher are for.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
shues said:
Thanks for the info Pimp and Seth!

So egriggs is using the outputs from one flasher to flash one lighthead on each SlimLighter? That's what I called the easy way, above. This method would not scale well, and would probably not work with more than 2 SlimLighters without burning up the flasher. Besides, four wires are overkill. All he needs to run is three wires: one positive and a ground from each output on the flasher.

Perhaps I will have to burn a few of these up to learn what the other terminals on the flasher are for.

That will be quite an expensive educational experience! Good luck i am curious to see how it turns out.

rescue52

May 23, 2010
New York
I have done several of these. It's very easy.

I use one flasher for both Slimlighters, take 4 conductor strobe cable ann put as much wire as the space you need, then small loom and it look like a clean finish.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
I understand that this can be done by using one flasher to drive both SlimLighters. That's actually not what I was looking for.

I was looking to sync the two built-in flashers (one in each SlimLighter) so that the SlimLighters could be on different patterns, but still maintain sync. I guess that this may not be possible because some patterns take longer to run through than others. I guess it's not like a TIR-3 where each pattern has an A phase and a B phase, and all of the patterns last the same amount of time.

rsqemt911

May 25, 2010
Naugatuck Ct
i did it with 2 talons a while ago. it would work the same with 2 slimlighters. my method will also keep the flashers from burning up. i had 2 talons. 1 green/green and 1 amber/amber. i crossed the heads so i had a green/amber and an amber/green. open them both up and cut out a head on each. get a 4 wire cable to run between the 2 and connect them "criss-crossed". you end up with both independently controlled 1 talon controls the 2 ambers and 1 talon controls the 2 greens. set them to the same pattern and they go in and out of phase with each other. personally i think it looks better than straight synchonized as well as allows you to control each pair/color individually. you can even set each pair up to have a different pattern. i was even toying with the idea of throwing a third talon in the middle that would run on it's own also set to the same pattern.

does that make sense? sorry that i don't have any pictures. i no longer have the setup operational

egriggs

Jun 1, 2010
Hamilton, NJ USA
I know this post is older, but if anyone needs assistance performing a talon or slimlighter sync, let me know, I will help as much as possible. I had a 2 slimlighters sync for a while in my old truck and I must say, they are much more impressive when they flash together.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.