System install

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
And.......care to explain what it is your using this for? As a motorcycle rider myself, I don't understand why anyone would attempt to outfit their bikes with lights and/or respond to calls on it. (aside from PD, who are properly trained). They are dangerous enough just riding it for daily use.

I will also be popping a bag,,,

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I think it looks actually pretty cool. Very nice

I will take my popcorn with some spicy nacho cheese sauce on the side please.

topflight

May 22, 2010
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Also, what would you respond to with white, green, and amber? I don't see the need for a siren either since you not running emergency colors....... Yes the lights might be placed good Garza but I don't think this is a legit person with a legit reason to run any lights at all.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Maybe there is something in Canada we don't know......let's hear him out.

May I have caramel pop corn?

sojaes

May 25, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
HILO said:
Maybe there is something in Canada we don't know......let's hear him out.

May I have caramel pop corn?

In Ontario, Green and white are the colors volunteer FF's may use to respond, and unlike states that require the vehicle passing certifications to use the lights...anyone can put green/white/amber in any combo to respond...

however, because of the lack of records regarding who can and can't have the colors, you get many people just putting on lights for fun.

Blue in Ontario (by itself) is snow plow...I have 5 plows, and got a ticket for NOT having my blue on when I was salting...and then police are RED and BLUE...

Here's a little tid bit from the provincial highway traffic act...

----------------------------

Green flashing light restricted

(16) The following persons may carry on or in his or her vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light:

1. A firefighter, within the meaning of subsection 1 (1) of the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, 1997, while proceeding to a fire or other emergency.

2. A prescribed class of volunteer medical responder, while driving a prescribed class or type of vehicle or engaging in a prescribed activity or in prescribed conditions or circumstances. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (5).

--------------------------

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment

(31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.

------------------------

Restriction on use of flashing blue light

(32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except,

(a) a person operating a road service vehicle in the circumstances described in subsection (31); or

( B) a person operating a police department vehicle, together with a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of red light, as permitted by subsection (14.1). 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (8).

Canada is ass backwards in my opinion.....I feel weird plowing with blue, to me blue will always seem like an emergency color, regardless of law here in Ontario...I try to keep everything low key but when people are coming home from work, there's traffic, and it's not 4am and u can see when a cop goes by, you have to bite the bullet and turn on your blue...

As for the Audible warning...no body is allowed a siren...

-------------------------------------

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

EMT

May 22, 2010
NYC, NY
sojaes said:
As for the Audible warning...no body is allowed a siren...

-------------------------------------

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

But you're trying to install one???

This is a great setup for..... Getting hit by a car?

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
You might want to double check the laws on flashing red to the rear:

HTA Sec 62(14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14); 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (1).

motor1

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto, ON
BigWil said:
You might want to double check the laws on flashing red to the rear:

HTA Sec 62(14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14); 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (1).

Exactly, red to the rear could be considered 4-way flashers. Its not as easy to convince someone of that on a bike.... its not worth the argument so i mount amber.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
Ummm, no...it means that red to the rear is only ok if it's factory equipped 4-way flashers. If your vehicle has amber turnsignals to the rear, and then you install additional red lights, you can be charged...unless the additional red lights are STT lights.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
I am not sure how y'all " run code" up yonder but down here there is no way I'd be caught running code on a bike. When you mount lights in a vehicle especially a pov you open the door for bad drivers. I am allowed lights and siren to run to the station or to scene if need be, like tonight's structure fire, people will try to beat you to the intersection or race next to you , cut you off, you name it people will do it. Point blank I believe people are unpredictable and no matter what you wear you are never safe on a bike. Just my $.02

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
The best part is: green is a courtesy colour in Ontario.

motor1

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thats right, Green is

"Excuse me sir, i am attempting to get some where and you are blocking my path. Please move over and give me right of way, but if you don't want to, that is okay."

It is different outside of the city. In the city area that are very few volly people. In the country it is almost all volly and in some areas there is signs posted on the roadway telling drivers to watch for green and give way.

Exmaple.

Firefighters urge you to pull over for green flashing light - The Orillia Packet & Times - Ontario, CA

The only issue is they have only Firefighters on the sign. But thats fine. We don't double hat here in Ontario.... Not yet anyway.

In Toronto if you are in the Bathurst and Lawrence area you might see Hazolah . Jewish Medical Response. They are also allowed to run green.

mjmath

Oct 30, 2010
Michigan
Okay, you got transportation, the 'emergency/courtesy lights'....oh wait, don't medics or FF or even first responders need some sort of equipment? Or is someone bringing that for you?

motor1

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto, ON
mjmath said:
Okay, you got transportation, the 'emergency/courtesy lights'....oh wait, don't medics or FF or even first responders need some sort of equipment? Or is someone bringing that for you?

Its funny... I was waiting for someone to ask that question :p

I do have equipment. It can be in pack form, or a standard trauma kit will also fit on the tail. Since this is my personal vehicle i dont always carry my trauma kit with me. (That would be a massive pain) So there is another gear under the tail section to help sustain someone while a ambulance arrives.

Just remember, we are not dispatched out to a scene normally. Usually we are called into the station and from there take an ambulance or PRU (red\whites, some with green). We are used as disaster response, back EMS, and other such services. So POV to the station.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewstang

May 25, 2010
Louisville, KY
Can I get some of the popcorn you guys are making?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
fedsig7 said:
I'd be suprised if anyone actually pulled over for that...

Do they have wal marts in canada?

motor1

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto, ON
fedsig7 said:
I'd be suprised if anyone actually pulled over for that...

In the city it is far less effective. In the country it is very much respected. Honestly, i think the Amber to the rear is the most useful.

sojaes

May 25, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
TheGatekeeper said:
Didn't Ontario go to blue/red for police lately ?

Yes they did, and the law states that Blue is only police when it is accompanied with RED...Just Blue on it's own, or with white, or amber is a snow plow...just red is fire/ems..police is blue AND red together...

sojaes

May 25, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
EMT said:
But you're trying to install one???

This is a great setup for..... Getting hit by a car?

Sorry for the confusion, I am not the one with the bike...I hope the "you're" is for the original poster...I'd never mickey mouse a bike with equipment that's not allowed or needed.

motor1

Jun 22, 2010
Toronto, ON
sojaes said:
Sorry for the confusion, I am not the one with the bike...I hope the "you're" is for the original poster...I'd never mickey mouse a bike with equipment that's not allowed or needed.

Actually i will tell you for a fact that my dual tone airhorn has saved me a few times. I know many riders that have equipped bikes with such a horn. I was considering going the electronic air horn route but cannot find space for all the items required. (Amp, Speaker, so on)

Here is an example of WHY you use an airhorn on a motorcycle. (Not me or my bike, random video)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2010
Miami FL
motor1 said:
So this is the start of the bike. I have done a little bit of lighting. AS for audable warning... still trying to find a box small enough and a place to mount a speaker. Right now i have an 120db dual tone air horn that seems to do the trick.

2 x Amber 911EP TIR4 - On DadCo customer place mount

2 x White Whelen TIR3 (I wanted LIN but was unavailable)

1 x Green SPEC8 (Modified for Motorcycle use and mounting)

simple, easy. I have some more ideas and am working towards some more gear, and perhaps a new bike.

ai83.photobucket.com_albums_j316_djzave_th_StrobePack.jpg

EDIT

I enjoy Chocolate Carmel covered popcorn but it is a little on the pricy side.

Can you post more pics of how the installation is going???

sojaes

May 25, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
When speaking of an air horn, please specify it's not an electronic air horn or siren...as I'm sure I am not the only one that thought of you putting an electronic one on...I completely agree, a true physical air horn is fine...I have a dual tone on my cruiser, bought and installed at Bike Week...but never would I put on an electronic one to sound like a cop or someone.

catfish

May 24, 2010
Ontario Canada
motor1 said:
Actually i will tell you for a fact that my dual tone airhorn has saved me a few times. I know many riders that have equipped bikes with such a horn. I was considering going the electronic air horn route but cannot find space for all the items required. (Amp, Speaker, so on)
I am from Ontario aswell and I just hope that you know any type of electronic air horn horn (siren air horn) is illigal in Ontario, and if a police officer ever heard it, he/she would definately fine you for impersonating an emergency vehicle.

Trisdisp57

Jun 4, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hatzola in NY doesnt care if follow the rules of the road... in my personal experience. But thats in NY.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.