T3, T6 or Apollo intersection warning?

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
My dilemma: 99% of the time I have to pull out onto the crest of a hill with lots of shrubs to respond to station. Making it hard to see me. When I originally setup my lighting package, I was just using my cannons in the headlights (pointed sideways) for intersection. I've obviously found that it's not working during the day. So, I've come to the conclusion I need better intersection. I've got a Ranch Hand grille guard and that's where I'm going to mount my intersection. I'm doing ONLY a Feniex install. I'm debating on double T3's, a double T6 or a single (maybe double) Apollo's. I've tested pretty much each one and can't decide. They all have they're own advantages and disadvantages. I've taken some videos and still can't decide. Double T3's T6's are just freaking crazy awesome strait on, which helps. But I obviously start to lose it on the angles. Apollo's show from all extreme angles but seem slightly dimmer during the day with the linear optic. I'm afraid of the Apollo's washing out and not being visible enough during the day. I'd also like to keep a lower profile too. I don't want everything to look gawdy. And T3/T6 cab sync with my ufm8 also. Any thoughts, opinions, etc? Thanks in advance for replys!!

Last edited by a moderator:

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Dual T6 with one white and one color. Alternating NOT split

Reactions: PJD642
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I'll second 2 T-6s in a dual flange, alternating the white whole module against the colored module. Or ever if you did both the same colored module (2 reds or whatever color you can use) and flash them both together on a whole pattern (no split patterns).

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Just curious, since the general consensus is dual T6's as to why that over Apollos? I understand T3's have a small footprint. But, just curious. Thanks!!

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I vote for single color horizontally-mounted apollos for the sides of the PB. No doubt that the T3/T6 are bright head on, but I personally think that linear is the best way to go for intersection warning

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
My vote is for a T3 for head on punch, and an Apollo for off axis.
I was actually thinking about doing this.  If only the Apollo could work with a flasher, I wouldn't even question this and get the best of both worlds.  I just don't want to have the T3's flashing different from the Apollo's and look weird abd out of sync.  Maybe I can do a day/night setting and run them differently depending on the time of day. Just have them set to the same pattern and not run them on a flasher.  Hmmm.  Too many options!!!  :crazy: .   Need to think about that...

Thanks for all your help guys!!  More input is always welcome!!   :)

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
I was actually thinking about doing this. If only the Apollo could work with a flasher, I wouldn't even question this and get the best of both worlds. I just don't want to have the T3's flashing different from the Apollo's and look weird abd out of sync. Maybe I can do a day/night setting and run them differently depending on the time of day. Just have them set to the same pattern and not run them on a flasher. Hmmm. Too many options!!! :crazy: . Need to think about that...

Thanks for all your help guys!! More input is always welcome!! :)
ive have yet to use the flasher on my apollos, ive had them off numerous flashers without a hitch

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
ive have yet to use the flasher on my apollos, ive had them off numerous flashers without a hitch
I have a 2 apollos, one, a first release and the other, a newer release. I can't for the life of me seem get them to run off an external flasher. They usually end up dim with my UFM8. I've tried setting them to steady and single slow flash with no luck. It just seems the boot time is too slow. Any tips? Thanks!!

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
wish i did, are you grounded right where the head is? i know feniex products tend to be picky ie they need a really good, solid ground. other than that i couldnt tell you unfortunately

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
I've got a good ground. I'm a UFM8 and it's ground switched. So, not sure if that's the problem. But I haven't had any luck with Apollo's and UFM8. It just flickers and occasionally lights up.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
have you tried another flasher?

i know ive heard of issues with the newer firmware not playing nice with external flashers, im only pointing out that ive never had an issue

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Unfortunately I only have the one flasher at the moment to use. I may have to get a ulf44 and see how that works with them.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
My choice would be a dual stacked T6 with one white module and one warning color module. I'm not very impressed by the individual Apollos.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Without seeing a pic of your ride and the drive you speak of (toss pics up?)  I would dual some T6's.  As everyone else said 1 head white (if you can legally do so of course), 1 head color, and alt. flash each full head color-white-color-white. If you're on a budget dual T3's.  Again, without seeing the bumper/terrain its kind of a guess. 

I roll a full Ranch Hand bumper (Sport Summit) myself, so I'd like to see what you are looking at doing.

EDIT: Just found your install video.  If you are leaving the cannons in the heads then just do color T6 heads and alt them with the cannons.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
He's the best pic of my brush guard I have at the moment. It's a ranch hand as well.

I'm thinking I'm going to move the cannons to the turn signal area and run the brights on the HLF.

Where I want to put intersection is circled in blue. I really like the Apollo there, cause it reflects off the chrome bumper. And you still get a hint on forward warning. But I'm afraid during the day it just won't be as effective. The dual T6 won't fit there due to a bolt for the brush guard. I think any lower may be too low. Even when I hopefully lift the truck a couple inches later this year. Any higher than that the guard angles out and will point the light down ward.

I'm actually considering doing a T3 stacked on top of an apollo. Put them on slow single flash and sync them and have them be the only ones not run off a flasher. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

2015-06-14 22.41.37.jpg

Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
That guard looks similar to the "Top Gun" style. (RH bought out Top Gun few years ago). Looks good.

If you do the Apollo I would do it in all white and the T3 in blue.  Even though the Apollo has the 180 optics the white should still get attention and the blue T3 will 'throw' real good.  Bonus....you could use one of the other Apollo modes as an alley/puddle type light.  If you're leaving the cannons in be sure and sync'em with whatever white you put on the bumper.  Or you could take the cannons and surface mount them to the guard, that is if they will fit.

My 2 cents here...Personally for the guard I would do stacked T3's if space allows....like this

<fore     aft>

O O O

O O O

OR

O O

O O

O O

BTW, Diggin the big mirrors...thought about doing that to my '07 Silvy...you do that or were they already on?

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Thanks. I put the mirrors on afterwards. I love them. I'm actually considering putting a blue T3 on the mirror too. Not sure yet, cause I don't know if I feel like ripping the mirror and door off again to wire up that light.

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
I'd recommend the Feniex Apollo dual color, white and your authorized color.

The white will catch attention while the color will signal authority.

With the 2 mode, you can also doouble it up as scene lighting once arrived.

I have dual colors mounted on my push bAR, no problems yet.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Well, Feniex just released the Apollo F12 and the new paperwork on the website is showing a revised flash pattern list.

So now, I'm considering Blue/White Apollo alternating quad flash, with secondary mode being white flood hooked to turn signals for nightime turning (if they're bright enough to see through my 5% tint). Maybe I'll still do a T3 on there too and run the flash as Blue Apollo, Blue T3, White Apollo, Blue T3 then repeat. If the Apollo and T3 sync on quad and the new 7x3 will have quad, I'll just sync all of those instead of using an external flasher. Now, I'm just hoping they bring quad flash to the T6 and I can sync all of them together!!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
If anything I would put the T3s on the brush guard and an Apollo on the mirrors.
I may consider the Apollos on the mirror, now that there is a F12, run blue/amber. Amber for turn/running lights (since GM decided to not make turn/run lights until the 2015 trucks), blue for warning.

But I don't like how big they are. I would love to see maybe a mini Apollo F6, about 1/2 size of the Apollo. Similar to how the T3 is the little brother to the T6.

Gears turning... thinking... lol

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
On my 2013 F-150 I also have a ranch hand bumper and I mounted HUGE Axixtech dual linear lightheads as intersection warning in both SOLID RED and they flash solid no silly pretty patterns. They look like Whelen 600s but with dual linear heads. They are so bright you can see the beam of light bounce off the pavement during the DAY!

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
On my 2013 F-150 I also have a ranch hand bumper and I mounted HUGE Axixtech dual linear lightheads as intersection warning in both SOLID RED and they flash solid no silly pretty patterns. They look like Whelen 600s but with dual linear heads. They are so bright you can see the beam of light bounce off the pavement during the DAY!
Just saw a video of yours with those, they look awesome!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.