Tail Light Flasher for 09 Charger

jdip

May 26, 2010
Mooresville , NC
Just curious to see what options I have for a 09 Charger Civilian model. What seems to be most popular (and ease of install). I was told I would have some difficulty with it being a civilian model...

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
there is no difference between the police and civilian charger aside from the engine options and the shifter location. any that works for the police model should work just fine for the civilian model. there is no police flasher for the charger, since the police interceptors have them built in. and there doesen't seem to be any tail light flashers available for the charger. headlight flashers are available though

cory y

May 21, 2010
you can put a normal TLF on a charger as long as its an isolated model. I know of 6 that have them

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
hitechrednex said:
there is no difference between the police and civilian charger aside from the engine options and the shifter location. any that works for the police model should work just fine for the civilian model. there is no police flasher for the charger, since the police interceptors have them built in. and there doesen't seem to be any tail light flashers available for the charger. headlight flashers are available though

I know for a fact that a school PD near me has a new charger with a TLF!

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
i was reading up on that and i saw where police models have TLF built in along with HLF, all you have to do is connect power to certain upfitter wires and presto pre-installed flashers.

cory y

May 21, 2010
well hes talking about Civi chargers

check out sound off... they are the Flasher kings

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
i know, i looked and could not find anything "plug and play" or vehicle specific. though, could always find a flasher you like and use a double relay to make it all work

cory y

May 21, 2010
there isnt a plug and play TLF for anything other than an impala currently made. However you just do what the instructions say and cut and splice it into the wires like you do for any other vehicle. you wouldnt need to use a double relay. all modern TLFs have everything you need built in

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
that is just it, everywhere i looked, there were instruction links for almost every vehicle under the sun, except for the tail lights of a civilian dadge charger. if you took a regular galls HLF i am sure you could cut and paste if you knew what wire was the power and what was the ground. just have to make sure you don't put it on the ground side and you are golden. will work if you are flashing stop and backup, not sure about left/right stop lights with all the electronics.

cory y

May 21, 2010
The Wiring and Brake lights for the civi charger are exactly the same as the PD chargers

Right Brake is White with Yellow Trace

Left Brake is White with Dark Green Trace

Reverse is White with light green trace

iltmt

Jul 27, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
I just installed a SoundOff ETFBSSN-P TLF in a 2008 civilian Charger without any problems. It works beautifully. The wire colors you need to look for are listed on SoundOff's vehicle compatibility charts.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
hitechrednex said:
that is just it, everywhere i looked, there were instruction links for almost every vehicle under the sun, except for the tail lights of a civilian dadge charger. if you took a regular galls HLF i am sure you could cut and paste if you knew what wire was the power and what was the ground. just have to make sure you don't put it on the ground side and you are golden. will work if you are flashing stop and backup, not sure about left/right stop lights with all the electronics.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you really shouldn't respond with advice like that if you have no idea what you are talking about. You really don't want to install a "regular galls HLF" as a tail light flasher on a Dodge Charger. Like many other vehicles out there today, the lighting is controlled by a body computer, which can be easily damaged if improper foreign electronics like a "regular galls HLF" are haphazardly introduced.

The proper response to the OPs question is to utilize a diode isolated tail light flasher designed to be compatible with vehicles that have their lighting controlled by computers, and not relays. Sound Off produces diode isolated tail light flashers (ETFBSSN-P) that will work on the civilian model Charger, as well as many other vehicles, without causing issues with the body computer.

If you're going to do it, do it right with the proper equipment.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
1. believe it or not, you do just sound like a dick. if you knew about a standard headlight flasher, they produce no back current on the line, and contain a relay system that acomplishes this. if you knew anything about electrical components, you would realize that this makes the flasher only work one way(no possable way to feed unwanted signal to the computer). basically galls HLF are darn near idiot proof if you follow the wiring diagram and apply it accordingly.

2. i only offered advice on the subject, i left it open for somebody with more experience than me in this area to chime in here

3. all i said is"everywhere i looked, there were instruction links for almost every vehicle under the sun, except for the tail lights of a civilian dadge charger" meaning I couldn't find one, doesen't say anywhere that i am the ultimate authority or that there isn't one out there, just that i couldn't find one.

4. like the origional post said, looking for options, all i did is give him one more weather or not you agree with it, i could honestly care less

colby4601

May 23, 2010
Southeastern Saskatchewan
hitechrednex said:
1. believe it or not, you do just sound like a dick. if you knew about a standard headlight flasher, they produce no back current on the line, and contain a relay system that acomplishes this. if you knew anything about electrical components, you would realize that this makes the flasher only work one way(no possable way to feed unwanted signal to the computer). basically galls HLF are darn near idiot proof if you follow the wiring diagram and apply it accordingly.
2. i only offered advice on the subject, i left it open for somebody with more experience than me in this area to chime in here

3. all i said is"everywhere i looked, there were instruction links for almost every vehicle under the sun, except for the tail lights of a civilian dadge charger" meaning I couldn't find one, doesen't say anywhere that i am the ultimate authority or that there isn't one out there, just that i couldn't find one.

4. like the origional post said, looking for options, all i did is give him one more weather or not you agree with it, i could honestly care less

You have made yourself look like a class A idiot. :roll:

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
and how might that be? all i did was defend what i posted, i believe it to be of relatively sound logic, i am sorry if this is not my best posting, but i took the general knowledge from about 5/6 complete installs and 2 complete vehicle re-wirings, and applied it here. i will admit, my method or idea was not the best in this scenereo, but it is still sound advice and observation, nothing more or less.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Seriously.... someone is fighting with Cajun on 'how to do an install'?? hitech, have you looked at any of his install threads? If not, take this moment and browse...

FAIL!!!!

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
rwo978 said:
Seriously.... someone is fighting with Cajun on 'how to do an install'?? hitech, have you looked at any of his install threads? If not, take this moment and browse...

FAIL!!!!

LOL!

Homey got his knowledge from 5 or 6 complete installs and 2 complete rewiring jobs, so of course he knows what's up!

But then, if I knew anything about standard headlight flashers.....

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
i could really give a f*ck less if you like my methods bro, or my ideas. i really don't care what you think of me, if you have a problem with me or my ideas, or methods, try to muster up some manner of profesionalism, (i know that may be difficult), offer counter advice if nescessary, and simply PM me if you think i need to be corrected.

(by the way, i aint no "homey")

JaBradt85

May 23, 2010
Albany, NY
hitechrednex said:
i could really give a f*ck less if you like my methods bro, or my ideas. i really don't care what you think of me, if you have a problem with me or my ideas, or methods, try to muster up some manner of profesionalism, (i know that may be difficult), offer counter advice if nescessary, and simply PM me if you think i need to be corrected.

ai230.photobucket.com_albums_ee311_stik208_facepalm_1.jpg

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Your logic that a headlight flasher from galls with just "relays" is good enough, and that the diode isolated versions they designed becasue the Galls Versions wouldnt work and could damage the computer is flawed. Most People who have been around an install, know that galls is great for pictures and thats about it. H"e was trying to make a point that Sound Off would be the company that makes the better headlight flashers and has the best database when it comes to these issues.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
hitechrednex said:

OK, I'll respond to you this one time:

i could really give a f*ck less if you like my methods bro, or my ideas..... i really don't care what you think of me....
You do give a fuck less, because if you didn't you wouldn't have posted your tirade. I have no opinion of you as a person because I don't know you. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd guess you're a young volly and someone that likes to hang his hat on LED Outfitters products and regular Galls flashers. I'd guess you're someone that thinks looking up things on the internet makes you an expert at them. Am I close?

try to muster up some manner of profesionalism, (i know that may be difficult)
I can't understand what wasn't "profesional" about my post. I told you up front I wasn't trying to be a dick, but that wasn't good enough for you. Maybe if I would have started my post out with " hey dumbfuck clueless redneck asshat", then you could say I was unprofessional, but I didn't. And it wasn't difficult for me to muster, because unlike you, I am a professional in the vehicle upfit business. And I do know a thing or two about standard flashers. I know that if a regular Galls flasher was the be-all cure-all to every application, there would be no other specialized flashers manufactured for specific applications....we'd all be using regular Galls flashers for everything just like you.

I think tomorrow I'll call SoundOff and Whelen and tell their engineers you think they're wasting their time with diode isolated tail light flashers because you said we all can do anything with a regular Galls HLF "as long as you follow the wiring diagram and apply it accordingly....".

Maybe what you should do is offer to go over and "cut and paste if you knew what wire was the power and what was the ground" and install your regular Galls flasher with "no back current on the line" onto SuperProbies Charger tail lights, and see what happens.

After all, just like you stated, those Galls HLF are "darn near idiot proof" right? You'd be golden.

offer counter advice if nescessary
I guess you missed the part of my post where I say " The proper response to the OPs question is to utilize a diode isolated tail light flasher designed to be compatible with vehicles that have their lighting controlled by computers, and not relays. Sound Off produces diode isolated tail light flashers (ETFBSSN-P) that will work on the civilian model Charger, as well as many other vehicles, without causing issues with the body computer. If you're going to do it, do it right with the proper equipment."

And believe me, after all the incorrect info you posted, the counter advice was necessary.

You even doubt your own advice because you posted "will work if you are flashing stop and backup, not sure about left/right stop lights with all the electronics.

So what you're saying is "go ahead and follow my suggestion even though I'm not sure it will work and I've looked everywhere on the internet and couldn't find anything specific regarding this subject , but since I've done 5 or 6 installs and rewired a couple of cars, trust me"? Do I understand that right?

Have you ever done an install on a Charger? Do you even know anything about CANBUS?

simply PM me if you think i need to be corrected.
I don't believe posting my opinion in the thread was wrong, because anyone else reading about flashing tail lights on a civi Charger needed to know your advice is wreckless and they should not follow it. We're not in the fifth grade here, so taking you to the closet for a scolding wasn't warranted. When you give incorrect and wreckless advice on this board, everyone should know.

By the way, I ain't your "bro".

Look, I didn't post what I posted to get in a pissing match with you. I made that post to let you and the OP know what you're advising is wrong. I tried to do it without ruffling your feathers, but of course I can see that didn't work. Nevertheless, I am the professional upfitter here with 25 years in 12 volts, 10 of them in EVS installs, and you are not. Take a look at my install threads if you don't believe me. There are many Chargers in them.

This doesn't mean I know everything, but it does mean I know you shouldn't advise someone to install a relay driven "regular Galls headlight flasher" on the computer controlled tail lights of a Charger. Plain and simple.

It's a shame you viewed my post with your ass instead of your head, because I believe you could learn a thing or two about upfitting from me.

Then again "as long as you follow the wiring diagram and apply it accordingly...."

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
man, i'm done, i do know when it itt time to quit. (just maybe a few posts too late, but oh well)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.