Takedown / work light options

Fenn

May 28, 2010
Ocean County, NJ
I'm looking to put some more takedown lighting on one of our work trucks. The truck currently has a pinnacle interior lightbar and just doesn't offer too much takedown lighting. It does have a settina push bumper though for mounting but I'm stuck on what to mount on there.

I currently have 2 rigid industries spot lights that I was going to use that are great but I recently came across the feniex Titan xt's. Anyone have any experience with them? Curious how they do with heat after being on for a bit.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Titans are very nice and bright. Don't have experience with extended on times but I imagine you would be fine.

Mar 11, 2016
Denver, CO
Hi Fenn, as you are looking for options, just another to take a look at would be our 6" LED Light Pods.

Featuring CREE LEDs, they put out 2,400 lumens and sell for $64 (plus eLB members get an additional 5% off with code elb) and backed by our 30 day risk free returns as well as Lifetime Warranty and they ship free from Denver, CO.

Here's a pic:
aextremeledlightbars.com_content_images_thumbs_0000411_6_led_la7b1b13dad86ef735ce9aee3529ca940.jpeg

NASA actually uses these to look at moon rocks in their lab :) We made them a bit special for them without the powder coating, so any paint chips wouldn't contaminate the moon rock/dust samples.

If you have any questions I can answer, please don't hesitate to ask Fenn.

Last edited:

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
I have no experience with Extreme LED products, and I am in no way affiliated with Feniex nor do I sell their lights...however, I'd ask yourself:
1). Are Extreme LEDs made in the USA?
2). Are you able to find a business address listed on Extreme's website? I couldn't when I searched their website.
I always want to know the answer to those questions before I spend any money on a product.
Disclaimer: I've purchased 2 Feniex lights from FEVER & have been very happy with the lights. An oversight error occurred when I ordered, & Nic w/ Fever & Feniex worked together & shipped me the correct product via two-day shipping--without me even asking!! It was a small order too, so it wasn't like they were making much money off of me. I was very impressed to say the least, & will be a Feniex & FEVER fan for life!

Mar 11, 2016
Denver, CO
I am in no way bashing the Feniex lights. I am sure they are of excellent quality and it sounds like they have great customer service, which is a rarity in today's world, so hats off to Nick of FEVER. Fenn was looking for options, so I was just providing him another option to consider.

We use USA CREE LEDs in these lights and we are based out of Denver as listed on our website here: http://extremeledlightbars.com/shippinginfo.

We stand behind our quality with a risk free 30 day returns and a lifetime warranty (in both cases we pay for return shipping, so they really are risk free). We've sold thousands of these lights over the years and would be out of business if our products were not of the highest quality.

As I know we are newcomers to the site and as such people may be leery, so a couple of things for you:
  • See an example of one of our threads on TexasBowHunter.com
  • Check out our Testimonials page
  • Finally, we are willing to give one of these lights to an eLB member for free in exchange for an impartial review here on the site. bmd224, let me know if you'd be willing to try them out, and if not, anyone else can volunteer.
We look forward to earning your trust here on eLB in providing high quality products at a fair price and doing so with excellent customer service!

Chad

bmd224

Nov 3, 2011
NE Kansas
Chad,
Thank you for the prompt & factual reply. You represent your company well, and would likely be a great representative of any company you work for as you believe in the quality of your products, give references, & stayed factual which is a rarity in today's cut-throat business world.
I definitely don't want to cost Extreme LEDs any business, as those in business know it's already hard enough trying to establish new business in a new marketplace (eLB). In fact, a friend bought a new 2015 Ford F-150 & I think that's what his dealer installed on his truck.
Thank you kindly for the offer to test one of your lights--that's incredibly good will & I appreciate it. However, I don't feel I could do it justice as I mostly drive city streets lit with street lamps. You may try going with either 1) a cash strapped rural all-volunteer fire dept that runs a somewhat high call volume--especially grass/brush fires where they're driving over bumpy & dusty terrain, and could really use the lighting as they're too poor to buy new equipment; or 2) a mining operation where they drive over bumpy gravel all day. Plus, either operation would allow you many more word-of-mouth customers (I.e.- every volunteer firefighter will be asking their spouse for one at Christmas time for their personally owned vehicles after they see how great it works on their department's brush truck) that can help increase sales.
Again, than you kindly for the offer and for your civility in your reply--both are truly appreciated!
I wish you well on your sales.
Respectfully,
Paul

Reactions: ExtremeLED - Chad

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what light are you wanting us to review? i might do it just to donate to my SAR unit...

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
If he does not do it let me know. I work in the towing/repo industry and we may be interested however i would defer to a fire/ems agency or pd if they are interested.

Mar 11, 2016
Denver, CO
Thanks Paul, I appreciate your professional response as well!

Chad,
Thank you for the prompt & factual reply. You represent your company well, and would likely be a great representative of any company you work for as you believe in the quality of your products, give references, & stayed factual which is a rarity in today's cut-throat business world.
I definitely don't want to cost Extreme LEDs any business, as those in business know it's already hard enough trying to establish new business in a new marketplace (eLB). In fact, a friend bought a new 2015 Ford F-150 & I think that's what his dealer installed on his truck.
Thank you kindly for the offer to test one of your lights--that's incredibly good will & I appreciate it. However, I don't feel I could do it justice as I mostly drive city streets lit with street lamps. You may try going with either 1) a cash strapped rural all-volunteer fire dept that runs a somewhat high call volume--especially grass/brush fires where they're driving over bumpy & dusty terrain, and could really use the lighting as they're too poor to buy new equipment; or 2) a mining operation where they drive over bumpy gravel all day. Plus, either operation would allow you many more word-of-mouth customers (I.e.- every volunteer firefighter will be asking their spouse for one at Christmas time for their personally owned vehicles after they see how great it works on their department's brush truck) that can help increase sales.
Again, than you kindly for the offer and for your civility in your reply--both are truly appreciated!
I wish you well on your sales.
Respectfully,
Paul

Mar 11, 2016
Denver, CO
For those of you following at home, Jarred has graciously offered to review these lights. We're shipping them out to him and look forward to his review in the near future!

Thanks again Jarred!

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
One issue that a number of our customers have had with Rigid-lookalikes is that some brands generate an awful lot of radio frequency interference (RFI). If not carefully controlled and filtered, the RFI can get very bad and cause whine on your radio, etc.

The Rigids are awesome lights, have a ton of different beam pattern options, and a lifetime warranty. They also have the new Radiance series which is MUCH lower cost and a bit of a drop in performance but still are nice and bright - they would be more than adequate for takedown lighting but if you were doing off-road racing you would probably want the actual Rigid main lighting line rather than the Radiance. http://www.rigidindustriesradiance.com/ . Rigid made the Radiance light to compete better against the offshore-made lights. They also have a cool backlit housing/surround (switchable separately) and you can choose your colour.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i will do some rf experimenting as well, since im a HAM.

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
Willing volunteer here.. I live and work in very rural areas and would give the best workout I can for your product. And ofcorse a proper Wright up. Thank you in advance Lenny

Mar 11, 2016
Denver, CO
Yes, very true of cheaper lights. Ours are shielded, and we've never had a complaint about them. We'll see what Jarred comes up with in his testing.

One issue that a number of our customers have had with Rigid-lookalikes is that some brands generate an awful lot of radio frequency interference (RFI). If not carefully controlled and filtered, the RFI can get very bad and cause whine on your radio, etc.

The Rigids are awesome lights, have a ton of different beam pattern options, and a lifetime warranty. They also have the new Radiance series which is MUCH lower cost and a bit of a drop in performance but still are nice and bright - they would be more than adequate for takedown lighting but if you were doing off-road racing you would probably want the actual Rigid main lighting line rather than the Radiance. http://www.rigidindustriesradiance.com/ . Rigid made the Radiance light to compete better against the offshore-made lights. They also have a cool backlit housing/surround (switchable separately) and you can choose your colour.

jhook

May 23, 2010
Saskatchewan Canada
Just ordered a set of the 6 " 2400 lumen LEDs from Chad! Excellent service and helpful in picking the right lights for my suv ordered late on a Friday afternoon and within 20 min had a tracking number and confirmed shipping,wasn't expecting anything till Monday at the earliest but Extreme LEDs came through and made the FedEx cut off before quitting time! Thank you Chad

Reactions: ExtremeLED - Chad

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
One other option would be the Star Microstar model DLITE - 6, 4-watt LEDs, 15-degree spot optics, VERY thin.... I'm probably going to be swapping out my Titans with the 20-degree spot lenses for these, as the Titan LEDs have started to burn out after several years of use and Feniex isn't making the 20-degree spot models any more, just the floods. (I use 'em in the grille for supplemental takedown lights)

Microstar

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
There are a number of 'work' lights out there that might be appealing, too. We have had very good success with TecNiq lights, and they have recently released their new "Steel Head" series. These are available in 2, 4, and 6 LED versions (2 and 6 are in-line, 4 is square). I just received an assortment and they are well built, totally waterproof, and I couldn't detect any RFI. They are made in Michigan and sold through various distributors.

The ''flood" pattern is a pretty wide beam with a bit of a center hot-spot. The "spot" versions are a really nice 10-15 degree wide spot light. Even the 4-LED version lit up from one end of our office to the other (about 75'). The mounting hardware is rugged and uses stainless fasteners.

I haven't yet had a chance to leave them on for long periods of time, but they have a very large heat-sink so should be fine (though I'll test them anyway!). They are available with black or white powder coating.

http://tecniqinc.com/pages/P02-P04-P06-Steelhead-Work-Tough-Spot-Flood-DurableLED-Light.php

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
One other option would be the Star Microstar model DLITE - 6, 4-watt LEDs, 15-degree spot optics, VERY thin.... I'm probably going to be swapping out my Titans with the 20-degree spot lenses for these, as the Titan LEDs have started to burn out after several years of use and Feniex isn't making the 20-degree spot models any more, just the floods. (I use 'em in the grille for supplemental takedown lights)

Microstar

That star svp microstar seems too thin/small to be used a work light. There isn't a lot of metal to absorb the heat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.