Talk Permit Tone (Motorola 3 Beeps on PTT) Question

dbono97

Oct 20, 2010
Washington State, USA
Does anyone here know if there is any way to enable (or emulate) the Motorola Talk Permit Tone on conventional radio systems?

For those who don't know what I am talking about, it is the 'chirp' that you hear when you key the mic on many digital Motorola system. Sounds like three quick beeps. I am not talking about MDTF tone, MDC signal, or QuickCall.

I am so used to my old agency's digital system with the radios having the TPT where as my new agency is still utilizing analog VHF. I just like to know when I key the mic on accident.

I heard (via BatBoards) that there may be some "hack" or trick used on the HT1000 via the MDC1200, but I just am uneducated on the subject.

My rig has an old Spectra High Power unit and I use a HT1000 for my portable.

If anyone has any knowledge on this concept, feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Drew

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
You can program a makeshift "talk permit tone" with the HT1000 using MDC1200. It is just a flat tone, not 3 beeps. The tones lasts about 1 full second, and then you talk. The person on the receiving end hears the famous MDC1200 identifier. I have my HT1000s set up this way and I'm just on an analog system. I did it so I won't cut myself off when I key up.

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
The HT1000 "hack" was to setup DTMF pre-PTTID and modify the digit length and interdigit spacing, resulting in the triple/quad/8 beep sidetone. It was something like 32 ms per digit - really short and typically not heard by the other users on the channel.

Google search first hit describes it:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=57021&highlight=ht1000+ani+dtmf

Ok a lot of discussion on this board has surrounded the Trunking Talk Permit Tone and if you can do it on conv. channels. The answer is YES. Some of you may have found this already, but to those who have not, here is how:
On the HT1000-

Read the radio as normal and get to the Signalling Options Menu (F7)

Then go to DTMF Phone List (F5) most HT1000s have this option some don't, if you do good if not your SOL.

After entering the screen scroll to DTMF Tx Pre-Time

set it to whatever you want

Then scroll to DTMF Digit Duration set it to 24.72

Then scroll to DTMF Inter-Digit Delay set it to 24.72

Then hit F2 (DTMF CONFIG)

Enter that screen and use the following setting

ACCESS/DE-ACCESS TYPE........AUTOMATIC

DTMF TONE TYPE...........CONTINOUS

USER PHONE LIST PROGRAMMING.........ENABLED

DTMF ANI TYPE.........KEY-UP

DTMF ANI CODE.........DELETE ALL NUMBERS SO FIELD IS BLANK THEN ENTER ANY 3 NUMBERS. (ONLY 3)

Then scroll to:

DTMF SIDETONE TYPE...........900HZ TONE (Change if needed)

Your done, write the radio and wal la Talk Permit Tone

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Slightly off topic, but I had messed with the MDC settings on my old MT2000, and slowed it down quite a bit. It made for a unique key-up (on the rx side, not the tx).

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
You can have a long beep or like I have a short beep for the talk permit tone. On my XTS2500 and XTL2500 Digital radio's I have the 3 short beeps . I think they only come in digital.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.