Talon fake or real? Now With pics!

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS

aebm

May 21, 2010
Dania Beach, Broward FL.
best way to know if it´s original is ask the seller to send you a real close up picture of the back of the led light it clearly says Whelen and also in the front plastic lens has some other whelen marks, oh yeah and also pricing, most used Talons will sell for 75 + shipping and up,regarding the flash shield been mate it seems like fake, do you have a link to see that Talon? ... well the rest is plain luck. :)

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Looks fake. I bought one off fleabay, knowing it was a knock off, to see the quality and brightness. It looked just like that one. Was so bad that the flashback shield warped in the heat. Good luck.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
RickLBZ said:
Looks fake. I bought one off fleabay, knowing it was a knock off, to see the quality and brightness. It looked just like that one. Was so bad that the flashback shield warped in the heat. Good luck.

Who did you buy it from?

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Fast LT1 said:
Im looking to buy a talon online but im question its authenticity. I noticed it has a matte black flashback shield, and i've never come across one that has that. Did whelen ever make ones that weren't the shiny black plastic on the inside?

[Broken External Image]:http://usera.ImageCave.com/FastLT1/wtalon.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://usera.ImageCave.com/FastLT1/wtalon3.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://usera.ImageCave.com/FastLT1/wtaon2.jpg

I'm pretty sure just from the plug that it is a fake. Whelen Talons (at least mine) came with a plug that had an led indicator on the plug to indicate when it is switched on. The cord should also have a NASCAR and warning label sticker wrapped around the cord close to the plug. Also, the optics in the lens of the LED look different. I also agree with the flash shield being matte is incorrect for a genuine Whelen dual Talon.

If you want a dual Talon, purchase one from a member here on the board. You will be much happier with a good used one over a new knockoff. If you can't find a dual Talon for sale in the combo you want, look for other new or used lights that are out there. Board members offer great deals to other members on new products and you can always find a good deal from a member on a used item (may not be exactly what you wanted, but sometimes you have to give and take some).

Hope this helps.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I think its fake. Ive seen so many fake ones on the market. When you try to mount them the screws strip. A lot of ppl in China make copies of the Talon.

Lightbar and moutning brackets on 2009 E-Z-Go ST Sport 2+2 Electric PDS 12-10-2009.jpg

2009 E-Z-Go ST Sport 2+2 Electric PDS 12-10-2009.jpg

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I'll pass it up, i got a heck of a deal on a dual avenger from another member on the board! Thanks for the input guys! :D

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Yea now that i've looked at a pic of a talon and this side by side, the talons light heads are more round on the ends.

tigers2007

May 24, 2010
Midwest
These are still bright. Not as bright as the real deal but still very bright. They'll blow away any Gen I or II any day of the week. I bought a fake Slimlighter from SLK probably four years ago just to see what the hype was all about. $29 later (including shipping), I got myself a R/R knockoff. It is very bright but the construction is horrible. With the amount of genuine used items available for sale today, I wouldn't even consider getting a knockoff. Four years ago it was difficult finding anything used at a good price (half off etc.). Now just like the other fellow said, you can pickup a good used Talon for probably the same price of the cheap ready-to-break knockoff. Hell I've been picking up Xtreme9 and Whelen Linear heads for the past few months and I've got them from $30 each to $40 each. I've seen them go for even cheaper on here. Just post in the "WTB" section if you are looking for something. People around here go above & beyond.

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
just chiming in on the knockoffs. I've gotten one from that "ledlightguy" and it was horrible. I'd say half of the visible output compared to a real Dual Talon. Also bought one from "flasherwarehouse" and it was a bit better, but still lacking. The last knockoff I picked up was from "mas1901" and I'd say it's as bright as a real model. All of them looked identical, matt housing, glossy flash shield, no indicator led on switch, etc. Here's the ebay link for referrence: http://stores.ebay.com/Mutual-Aid-Supplies-Inc If you google his ebay store name you should find his website with slightly cheaper prices.

Of course, the genuine product is usually better for a reason. :)

RickLBZ

Sep 9, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Fast LT1, I bought it off eBay about 4 years ago. Don't remember the sellers name though.

As a side note I purchased another led from xela2010 off eBay and good build quality, low brightness. Sold it for purchase price so no loss on my part.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.