Taser, taser, taser

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Well, took my 5 second ride today. It was something I will not do again, haha. I was proud that I didn't scream, becoming the first person from the department to do so. It's not that I'm overly manly, though; I tried to scream, it just wouldn't come out. The worst part was the top probe hit my spine and bled kinda a lot for a taser hit. Anyone have any cool stories for their trip?

Oh, and yes I do have the video. I may post it if you guys want to see it.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
A fellow sergeant bragged he could count to 5 during his ride. He started yelling "five, five five" and then his dentures fell out! Everyone started calling him "Arby" after that. (five for five special) He never did get the 1,2,3, or 4 out.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
ouch.....+1 for the videos...On our dept. 2 of our probies got the special treatment.. one of them got tasered which he took it pretty well until he fell to his knees and the other got peppered sprayed which he cryed cause he didnt think it would be that bad but oh well we told him about the effects plus he got some of it in his mouth which he then blew chunkes..I think we have video somewhere if i find it ill have to pull it up.as for me i wont do either one ill stick to puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff....

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
RMBROWN said:
ouch.....+1 for the videos...On our dept. 2 of our probies got the special treatment.. one of them got tasered which he took it pretty well until he fell to his knees and the other got peppered sprayed which he cryed cause he didnt think it would be that bad but oh well we told him about the effects plus he got some of it in his mouth which he then blew chunkes..I think we have video somewhere if i find it ill have to pull it up.as for me i wont do either one ill stick to puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff....

This a PD? Wouldn't you all get sprayed at least?

At the DOC academy we got OC, CS, EBID and Stun Shield. The EBID was like the old stun-guns from the 80's and 90's, nothing like the taser. We had to do it to ourselves on the thigh. They shut off automatically after 15-seconds. I think five of us, myself included, held on for all 15 seconds, wasn't that bad. Maybe eventually we'll switch to the tasers, I'd like to see what it's like to get hit, not that we'd actually carry it anyway, everyone's surprised when they find out we don't carry a taser, baton, or even mace. The commonwealth prefers us unarmed.....

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga

And no making fun of how small I am, I've been sick

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I only took about 3 seconds with the clips. I think I just groaned a lot then yelled FUCK when it stopped LOL. Sucks doesn't it!

Good on you for taking the darts! We're not required to take the hit at all, and if we do we usually use the training cartridge with the clips, because a couple years ago the Sheriff's Office had a deputy get hit in the back of the neck right on the spine with a dart and he lost consciousness and stopped breathing (he lived, after CPR).

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Ben E. said:
I only took about 3 seconds with the clips. I think I just groaned a lot then yelled FUCK when it stopped LOL. Sucks doesn't it!

Good on you for taking the darts! We're not required to take the hit at all, and if we do we usually use the training cartridge with the clips, because a couple years ago the Sheriff's Office had a deputy get hit in the back of the neck right on the spine with a dart and he lost consciousness and stopped breathing (he lived, after CPR).

Exactly why I want to opt out...I have a fear of electricity (not so pleasant encounter with an electrified horse fence as a kid).

ParkPiggy

May 21, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Took the ride with clips. And, that was back before all the major controversy started. I think everyone who carrys a taser, should do the ride-I just don't see why anyone needs to get hit with the barbs.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I got it with the wires taped to my leg. Was a second or 2. I'd take that over getting sprayed again. Got that in the academy 8 years ago, and still not enough time has passed to do it again. Took me over 45 mins to decon myself in the showers to the point I could open my eyes and see to walk. Afterwards, it looked like I had the sunburn from hell.

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Whether you scream or not is not anything you have any control over. It's just a matter of were you inhaling or exhaling at the moment you get hit - are your lungs full or empty...

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
No its all fd...it was for who ever wanted to get sprayed/taser and the cadets wanted to do it..We werent going to stop them like i said before ill stick to puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff......but we sure got a f*ckin kick out of it

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
ParkPiggy said:
Took the ride with clips. And, that was back before all the major controversy started. I think everyone who carrys a taser, should do the ride-I just don't see why anyone needs to get hit with the barbs.
I hear that a lot, that they need to feel what its like, but you all have guns and don't get shot, to see what it feels like? I don't get defibed so I know what it feels like.

With that being said, I would like to try it myself though.

ISU_Cyclone

May 21, 2010
SE Wisconsin, USA
Bigassfireman said:
I hear that a lot, that they need to feel what its like, but you all have guns and don't get shot, to see what it feels like? I don't get defibed so I know what it feels like.
With that being said, I would like to try it myself though.

Amen. If I get hit with a taser out in the field, then I learn what it feels like at that time. Getting zapped ahead of time won't make me "immune" to the effects...either way I'm hitting the deck for 5+ seconds.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
ParkPiggy said:

Agree 100% with this.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ive always wondered why it is....

You wanna carry mace? you get sprayed

you wanna carry a taser? you get tased

BUT

You wanna carry a gun? you dont get shot.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Jarred J. said:

BUT

Well, guns kill. You give a responsible person a gun, they won't use it unless necessary. Everyone knows that a gun can kill. I would guess the mace and taser is to show people that just because it isn't lethal doesn't mean it won't hurt. So that they don't abuse it possibly?

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
As a former trainer, I agree with being Tased and sprayed. Why? Because the first time being sprayed with OC, for example, many people panic or completely shut down. You CAN'T shut down in real life while in a fight! It shows you can still function. Being sprayed the first time in a controlled environment allows the trainer and trainee to evaluate how the trainee will react in a real situation. I've seen 300 pound gorillas over-react and collapse, (not to mention whine) and 95 pound females suck it up and fight on like a champ. Better, and safer to know this in training instead of on the street. Yes, it sucks, but as veteran cops will tell you, it gets easier each time you are exposed. And wou WILL BE exposed.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
Jarred J. said:

BUT

It's easy to teach the effects of less-than-lethal tactics and equipment to officers because they cause no long lasting or severe injuries. Kinda hard to get shot and take a shower to wash it off or walk away from it like a Taser. I'd also have to guess that the rate of usage of Taser/OC is probably hundreds, if not thousands of times higher than than the use of a firearm in the line of duty. Makes sense to make officers know what it feels like when they're handing down a swift ass beating in the name of the law.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
OC spray/ Freeze plus isnt ANYWHERE near as bad as a gas chamber with no mask on.

After my initial exposure in the chamber in basic, it was no longer required in permanet duty to take your mask off anymore. I always volunteered cause a face full of oc cs clears out your sinusus in a way no pill could ever do. LOL

I always thought it was funny, i always had sgts and other soldiers who thought they were so hard core, but when it came time to "train to fight" they didnt want to to do a little PT in a room full of gas. Go figure :roll:

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
crescentstar69 said:
As a former trainer, I agree with being Tased and sprayed. Why? Because the first time being sprayed with OC, for example, many people panic or completely shut down. You CAN'T shut down in real life while in a fight! It shows you can still function. Being sprayed the first time in a controlled environment allows the trainer and trainee to evaluate how the trainee will react in a real situation. I've seen 300 pound gorillas over-react and collapse, (not to mention whine) and 95 pound females suck it up and fight on like a champ. Better, and safer to know this in training instead of on the street. Yes, it sucks, but as veteran cops will tell you, it gets easier each time you are exposed. And wou WILL BE exposed.
I guess I undestand stand that. You don't want it to come as a surprise while rolling on the ground with the bad guys and let them get the upper hand.

surf_kat

May 28, 2010
SE AZ
RL1 said:
Well, took my 5 second ride today. It was something I will not do again, haha. I was proud that I didn't scream, becoming the first person from the department to do so. It's not that I'm overly manly, though; I tried to scream, it just wouldn't come out. The worst part was the top probe hit my spine and bled kinda a lot for a taser hit. Anyone have any cool stories for their trip?

Oh, and yes I do have the video. I may post it if you guys want to see it.

I dislocated my left shoulder during my ECD (TASER X26) exposure. It was a prone, placed probe exposure aka 'full body ride'(one at the base of the neck, one at the ankle). The best explaination that we came up with is that the muscles of the shoulder had such a violent contraction that it just popped the shoulder out of place (I swim and row, so my shoulders are pretty muscular).

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
surf_kat...your instructer did something wrong if that happened to you...either no spotters or improper positioning and restraint by spotters. Obviously I wasn't there, but the chances of a shoulder dislocation during properly conducted training are all but nil.

As for screaming...this is why, as an instructor, I tell the person about to take an exposure to take a deep breath and blow it out before I hit them. Eliminate the screams and needless ridicule that results. If students think they are going to be needlessly embarrassed then it becomes one more reason in their minds to decline an exposure. It also adds to the negative hype surrounding the Taser when the "training" videos inevitably hit the internet.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
It felt like I really messed my back up ever since I got popped, almost like I had pulled every muscle in my back but not as painful as a true pulled muscle. Went to my chiro yesterday (who also saw the video) and it was the first time I was ever in pain from an adjustment, to the point I went 'ugh' out loud. Few hours later, though, felt amazing.

Do any of you guy's departments make you get re-tazed if you transfer in and already have you cert? I found out one near me does. They say the want to make sure the training is up to their standards and you have to take the ride again, but they use clips and only zap you for 2 seconds

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
C2Installs said:
As for screaming...this is why, as an instructor, I tell the person about to take an exposure to take a deep breath and blow it out before I hit them. Eliminate the screams and needless ridicule that results.
Whoa whoa whoa... why ruin the fun there, teach? Isn't 95% of the reason we blast eachother with Tazers to make fun of eachother for all the stupid shit we do whilst being Tazed?

:D

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Havent been tazed but im sure a little droplet of pee might come out if i do get tazed :)

pvfdham

Jun 15, 2010
morehouse missouri
i took a five second ride got shot in the back with the barbs! it only felt like my whole body was asleep. only regret was not having the pull it again! i would do it again.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
Took the ride... worst experience of my life, but I'd still do it over getting OC. At least when the Taser is over, it's over and done with.

As far as being required to take the ride, I am thankful for the experience.

Not only do I have an appreciation for what a suspect may be experiencing, but I can say for a fact that I will be incapacitated if I am tased... and thus articulate why I would draw down on someone with my firearm if they point at a taser at me.

I think by-far the worst part of the whole experience is that split second between hearing the *pop* of the barbs deploying and the sensation of the electricity.

It's a moment that just hangs in the air for an eternity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.