Support Tech issues with sales section, new format

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Please reply with tech issues or permissions problems reference the new one item per thread format in the sales sections.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Apparently, if someone has 40 items for sale, everyone else gets bumped to page 5 in 10 minutes...Doesn't really make any sense to me. Personally, I enjoyed seeing ads like Terry's where you scrolled the ad for items you wanted. There were more items available to see per page as well. This 1 item at a time is a bummer..

Upvote 0

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Apparently, if someone has 40 items for sale, everyone else gets bumped to page 5 in 10 minutes...Doesn't really make any sense to me. Personally, I enjoyed seeing ads like Terry's where you scrolled the ad for items you wanted. There were more items available to see per page as well. This 1 item at a time is a bummer..
Not particularly a tech issue, but...

As much as everyone here knows I HATE to agree with Steve, Going through 3+ pages of 'New Content' and ONLY seeing for sale ads from one member, is pretty tedious.

Upvote 0

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I wish I could like your post 40,000 more times....

this was my initial complaint and still is... after 1 friggin day I had to go through 3 pages to not find a post by the same person...

also if you "load more topics" by NOT going through the page method... EVERYTIME you leave a thread you have to hit "load more topics  " x amount of times'"to get BACK to the bottom of the list...

almost ALL amateur radio forums that have threaded sales sections are EXACTLY LIKE the old method. and its worked for them for DECADES

see qrz.com for example.. it is to ham radio as elightbars is to public safety

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Yup. Sales on here just took a nose dive. I find it very difficult to just "browse" the classifieds now. Seeing 20 new threads from Shawn L (sorry bud) is frustrating at best to weed through. 

From an "I know what I need, type it in the search bar and find it" viewpoint this is a great system, but for the many of us casually browsing it is a nightmare. Some new methods of grouping needs to happen ASAP. I think the first place to start would be each member having a subsection to post into. That way, if (not so)elite907 posts 10 things, I can see them if I go to his subsection but otherwise I can just bypass them.

I am very afraid that we are going to lose some of our most senior / most knowledgeable members due to this.

Upvote 0

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
is there a way to filter your own content to see threads ONLY with replies?

you guys can say my name, its all good, I'm 100% with you, I'm not a fan of the new style, and I'm an even more afraid of having to switch back...I'm having marketplace flash backs ...

I don't want to sound like a trouble maker, but I WANTED to flood the classifieds, because think of how bad it will be when you have LOTS of members doing it....

but as much as it pains me to admit it,  I have sold several items that were listed for quite a long time right after switching to the single item system.

quite honestly, when I would come to elightbars I would do the browse shopping style, ... it was never stuff I needed, more of a look , hey that's cool and I would buy it . I'm not sure that the new style is going to be good for that style of shopping.

I didnt put any tags in my sale items, maybe I should have?  like deck lights ect? I dont know, I dont tag things, never been on twitter, and as some of you know terry got my first "like " the other day.

I probably would have used the thumbs up and down a lot more if there was a middle finger... but there is not....

My suggestion is to hang in there and develop a system that works for you , I'm a computer retard and I was able to figure out a way to list my existing items, and then some.. and unfortunately I have a lot more to do , but in due time.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
Have to agree...made a new for sale post, usually get some hits after a few days (or right away)...but the next day, after Shawn's posts, it was back 3-4 pages.

Probably is better for future searches & what it was meant for, but, how often does anyone go past page 2 or 3 when they're just looking? Not very I don't think. I liked the grouped items / 1 thread per person we had before. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
yes it was a perk , but it was also a perk to be able to list a single "special item"  now that each item is required to be listed separately ....

how about an auto bump feature with a paid subscription?

Reactions: tsquale
Upvote 0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Tags have been added for item type. Grouping is still being looked at both within the sections and as new sections.  Features for paid subscribers are being rolled out and tested, as well as permissions level adjustments.  Bumping is not being enforced right now, that is being explored as well.  This is a work in progress, there will be hiccups as we transition.  

Upvote 0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
So, are the Wanted Ads supposed to be single item as well now...?
That's a good question. As of now the vast majority of threads in the wanted section are single items anyway, based on the nature of the requests and a few small changes made a few months ago.  Officially, the posts/threads in the wanted section can be formatted however the OP wishes.  The tags/prefixes will work best in a single item per thread format.  If people make a single big old wanted list with lots of items, they are only hurting their own chances of having the request seen by the right person.  That said, there is not prohibition on doing so at this time.

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
Upvote 0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Completed/Updated

• The premium classifieds have been converted into a member store section where each member gets one "home sale thread", or "member store".  Silver level and above may post as many items as they like in that single thread.
  • Prefixes have been added to the sales sections for all users.  You can search for items by Prefix by clicking on any prefix tag you see.
  • Prefixes have been added to the wanted section for Silver level members and above.  Standard members will default to the generic "wanted" prefix.
  • Several attention getting (different colored) global prefixes are available for use by Silver level and above.  These can be used to run promotions on items or denote a lowered price.
  • Feedback prefixes have been added for all members to label and sort deals by type and rating.

In process

• The volumes are still being studied.
  • Additional prefixes and sorting features are being considered and developed.
  • Google search will be added to the forum.
  • Additional sections/categories are being discussed.
  • Item/post promotion features are now possible and being researched.  
  • Feedback improvements and grouping options are in early planning stages.

What users can do to help

• Use prefixes when available.  This will help sort the items and makes your item easier to locate.
  • Group multiples of the same item into one thread, i.e. six identical power strobe heads should be one thread.  See the 
  • Please continue to report problems and concerns.
  • Please be patient.  There is flexibility built in to this transition, don't be afraid to ask for help or accommodations. 

Upvote 0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
It's amazing what simple, non-bitching, polite and intelligent commentary can make. I sincerely appreciate the staff reading the comments and responding in kind with quality solutions.
Good observations.  Thanks for pointing this out.  The staff here is working really hard to make the site work best for everyone.  If a suggestion is readable and not vulgar or rude, we are trying hard to take it into consideration.  There is a lot of built in flexibility with the forum based sales system.  It is being built around observations and feedback from staff and users.  Between prefixes and section permissions, I am confident we can make system that best serves the most people.

There are little changes happening all the time.  New prefixes and sections for example.  

• Parts often cross the boundaries of the existing sections, so an "all types" of parts section was added to both the sales and wanted sections.  Prefixes have been adjusted to reflect this.  
  • A dealer / factory direct "member storefront" section has been added.  Members of silver level or higher that are dealers or manufacturers can make a home thread for their business.
  • Prefixes have been added and adjusted to only show up in the places where they should be used.  Default prefixes have been changed in some places as well.

This transition is dynamic.  Your feedback and suggestions shape it.  The member storefronts are the direct result of several members approaching staff with well thought out points explaining a problem/opportunity/need.  As emtanderson points out, it's amazing what we can make when we work together.  

John

Upvote 0

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I definitely think it has helped by getting rid of the known trolls. There seems to be a higher level of "maturity" across the board with both staff and members. Observations are important whereas bitching and moaning gets you nowhere. Site looks good. It's nice to be able to see the ring again lol

Upvote 0

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
So, random question. Didn't see an answer anywhere else.

Are the member storefronts going to be like the premium for sale threads were and only be accessible by upper level members?

I know that I don't have a paid subscription so would non-subscribed members be able to shop around the storefront section or be restricted?

Upvote 0

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
So, random question. Didn't see an answer anywhere else.

Are the member storefronts going to be like the premium for sale threads were and only be accessible by upper level members?

I know that I don't have a paid subscription so would non-subscribed members be able to shop around the storefront section or be restricted?
I believe you're correct. If you access them on a computer (not the mobile site) you can see a banner at the top of the storefront section stating a silver membership or higher is required.

It's really a nominal fee for all of the great info on the site

Upvote 0

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
I believe you're correct. If you access them on a computer (not the mobile site) you can see a banner at the top of the storefront section stating a silver membership or hire is required.

It's really a nominal fee for all of the great info on the site
Ok. I figured so but wasn't sure. Tapatalk lets me browse the storefronts but doesn't say anything else.

Upvote 0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
All registered members can read and reply to posts in the storefront sections, only paid members may post new threads.  If there are any browsers or platforms where that is not true, please submit a support ticket.  Thanks for helping us iron out the little issues.

Upvote 0

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
Now I am trying to log in in my pc and I forget my password, I try to recovery the password with my nick name and/or with my mail and the mail from the site dosent show up... [emoji31][emoji31][emoji31][emoji31]
Changchung,

Please use the link in my Signature for a Support Ticket for further assistance.

Upvote 0

Chris W

Mar 27, 2014
NJ
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.