Tell some tales on the New-Tech Lightstorm lightbar

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
When I was a kid, the guy who cut my hair, for some reason, had an off-road accessory catalog in his barbershop. In the catalog, there was a lightbar that was being offered as an off-road accessory. I saw one or two of them installed on some big 4x4 trucks. In the description, it said there were also colored filters available for the lightbar for law-enforcement (or other emergency vehicle) use.

Until a few years ago, I never knew New-Tech actually manufactured the Lightstorm with halogen rotators for emergency vehicle use. I know tsquale has one in his collection, and I know someone else gutted one and installed some Code3 rotators and auxiliary lights in one.

My question and/or topic of discussion is — were these lightbars ever widely used, or were they just a lightbar an off-road lightbar company decided to try out in order to get into the police car business? The shape didn't really seem like it was too effective at throwing out light, particularly to the rear. Were they available with all kinds of bells and whistles, or were they just a basic layout lightbar? Were they ever offered with colored lenses, or were they just JetSonic style clear lenses with colored inserts?

Any stories and/or anecdotes about this peculiar lightbar are welcome.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Alright, here is the history as I know it.

Creative Technology Inc. (sometimes shortened to Creative Tech Inc.) came along first, bringing to market the Stealth lightbar in both full-size and miniature rotators. The full-size was not widely used or popular and both were pretty durable and known to get brittle due to the sun. The mini-bar was picked up design wise by Sho-Me who made the widely popular tri-strobe Stealth and later produced an LED version.

New-Technology Inc. (more often shortened to New-Tech Inc.) then came to be a full lineup of bars. The Lightstorm was their rotator / emergency lightbar that came in several sizes. The Trailblazer was the same trapezoidal shape but had the stationary / off-road lights. This also came in a variety of sizes. They also, even more briefly, produced the Night-Hawk which was a brick style off-road lightbar as well as the Light Force, which was a mini-rotator bar. Sho-Me also picked up the Light Force name, tweaked the design and made it a tri-strobe bar and later an LED version as well. My full-size Trailblazer has the company listed as Centerline / New-Tech. I believe (but can not verify) that this was towards the end of the line for the company as I have not found a trace of them or that name combination.

Unfortunately, I can not find the literature that @7d9_z28 once posted on these. Hopefully he will come around to repost them.

Below are photos that I have saved over time

Lightstorm with rotators, PA speaker, alley lights
ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_storm4.jpgai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_storm5.jpg

Mini-Lightstorm

New-Tech Trailblazer

Trailblazer advertisement

lightbar.jpg

New-Tech Light Force

lightforce1.jpglightforce3.jpg

New-Tech Night-Hawk

s-l1600 (1) (1).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

Creative Tech Stealth

stealthf.jpg

Attachments

• new tech lightstorm pat.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 14
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I have only seen 1 full size Stealth bar in my travels.. and someone on here bought it.. I wonder who that was? ;)

From what I remember of it, it was halogen with rotators up top, and flashers and takedowns on the bottom. I believe it also had strobe modules, but needed a power supply in order to function.

I have a youtube video of it, found it..

Last edited:

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
That really is one of the things I miss about halogen rotator lightbars. There was a uniqueness to certain designs that really isn't seen nowadays. With the exception of some of the Federal Signal designs like the SLR and the Valor, most lightbars are just rectangular strips with LED stuffed in them. That Stealth bar looks nice.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
^this. I miss the MX7000 and those trying to compete with it. As a 17 year Leo, I also miss the “wirr wirr wirr” from the roof when it was on.
Now days, I’m a Federal Signal fanboy over the SLR and Valor. Everything else is an overly bright flasher module...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.