test box

kerryco91

Aug 17, 2010
Georgia
This is a 12 volt test box i built using a small pelican case i had in the shop. I bought a dee cycle battery from Batteries. Plus and added a cig. Plug , gator clips, and speaker level inputs. It works great for setting flash patterns while installing lights and showing customers different flash patterns. I use it at most of the shows we go to for demonstration if lights and to charge my cell phone (when 120v isn't avail.).

2011-10-11_16-19-25_940.jpg

2011-10-11_16-19-57_290.jpg

2011-10-11_16-20-18_111.jpg

2011-10-11_16-19-41_867.jpg

2011-10-11_16-19-14_650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jjustham

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just a reminder:

If you like a tip or trick hit "like". The only replies that are allowed are questions and answers about the OP. I have removed a lot of "awesome", "well done", and "I built one of these and my mom used it to go to the lake and I think yours is good and mine is too I have no point but......" type replies recently. This isn't an open discussion section.

Thanks

OP knows this is thing is awesome......... we all know this thing is awesome.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
I think it might be a fan you are referring to? And for the OP is the battery you have in that case is what is powering all the connections? As in you are not hooking up different and/or multiple batteries?

kerryco91

Aug 17, 2010
Georgia
Mrlunchbox said:
I think it might be a fan you are referring to? And for the OP is the battery you have in that case is what is powering all the connections? As in you are not hooking up different and/or multiple batteries?

The speaker level inputs are used for providing power to single light heads (red + and black -). I like using speaker level inputs because they hold the wire securely while programming lights or displaying them. The fan provides cooling for the battery and exhaust the air out of the box, it was really overkill but I had it laying around so I installed it and put it on a switch. The battery provides power to the cig. plug, speaker inputs, and gator clips, it gives about 4-6 hours of run time depending on how many light heads are plugged in.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
no circuit protection?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Jarred J. said:
no circuit protection?

It could use a high quality manual reset breaker. Is there a fuse hiding omewhere we don't see?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
kerryco91 said:
In line fuse supplying the positive bus bar.

That's what I figured.

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
I just noticed you have a 12V GelCell battery like you would find in a UPS or emergency Exit light. How much run time do you get out of it?

You might consider a mower battery something like these if they'll fit in the box:

5-1/4 in. x 7-3/4 in. Lawn and Garden Battery-SP-35 at The Home Depot

5-1/4 in. x 7-3/4 in. Interstate Battery-SP-18 at The Home Depot

Shop Magna Power 12-Volt Mowers Battery at Lowes.com

They'll handle a lot more load and give you more runtime between charges.

Use something like this to keep it charged between shows:

1.5 Amp Three Stage Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
BackYardSales said:
I just noticed you have a 12V GelCell battery like you would find in a UPS or emergency Exit light. How much run time do you get out of it?

You might consider a mower battery something like these if they'll fit in the box:

5-1/4 in. x 7-3/4 in. Lawn and Garden Battery-SP-35 at The Home Depot

5-1/4 in. x 7-3/4 in. Interstate Battery-SP-18 at The Home Depot

Shop Magna Power 12-Volt Mowers Battery at Lowes.com

They'll handle a lot more load and give you more runtime between charges.

Use something like this to keep it charged between shows:

1.5 Amp Three Stage Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer

If you use a vehicle battery indoors, you are going to have a bad time.....

I only use batteries that are designed to be used or charged indoors. Vehicle batteries are susceptible to leaking, gas emission, inversion damage and other things that will ruin your day. A battery designed to be used or charged inside will be safer in several ways from cell type to housing. Car jumper battery kits have internal sealed batteries that are designed to be charged in the home. 12V exit sign and flood light batteries are another good idea..... as are modified computer supplies and 12v regulated radio power supplies for the cord-using light user....

I don't always use batteries as a 12v testing method,

...but when I do I prefer ones that are safe for indoor use.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
using outdoor battery indoors without proper ventilation = your going to have a bad time. if your in a super large arena im sure your not realy going to feel the affects the emissions of the battery could produce if you had the case open. using a fan that could spark the "explossive gases" in a battery, your going to have a bad time.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Jarred J. said:
using outdoor battery indoors without proper ventilation = your going to have a bad time. if your in a super large arena im sure your not realy going to feel the affects the emissions of the battery could produce if you had the case open. using a fan that could spark the "explossive gases" in a battery, your going to have a bad time.

Adding a tractor battery (like suggested by a user) is defiantly not a good idea. The way OP has it (sealed indoor battery) is the prefect type of power source for testing LEDs and modern lightheads.

kerryco91

Aug 17, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:
Adding a tractor battery is definatly not a good idea. The way OP has it, while it may not power a twinsonic for long, is the prefect type of power source for testing LEDs and modern lightheads.
Just to clear up any confusion: The battery "I" use and that is pictured is a SEALED 12V battery like the ones used as a backup power supply in alarm systems.

crazyems

Jan 30, 2012
england
its a very nice and looks to be a very well put together bit of kit, how do you charge it though the outputs or remove the battery or is their a charge port

do you have a wiring diagram

thanks CrazyEms

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
Have you ever thought of producing these for resale?

Tiller245

Jun 29, 2012
Chester County,PA
kerryco91 said:
I have, just wondered how many people would actually be interested. Its handy and has alot of uses

i would be vary interested if the prices where right:yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.