Texas Highway Patrol HLF

medicop88

Apr 11, 2011
Rhome, Texas
Was wondering if anyone knows who makes the HLF in the Texas Highway Patrol cars. State's using Whelen Liberty's and Freedoms now, but the HLF has been the same since they were using Tomar rotators.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
They like to use the Random HLFs that flash all the diffrent patterns double single slow fast double single slow fast.... etc i dont really know which ones they use by name though.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
HLF's are pretty random. Also, keep in mind that different reigions have been known to run different lights. I've never seen tomar lights up here in DFW, nor did I ever see an Edge bar, but know they used them out west.

Most recently, like in the past 5 years, I know DPS has bought Whelen, Fed Sig, and Code 3 bars. Each are also offered on the State contract for agencies that purchase off that. I did a series of cars for an agency that bought off the state contract and had Liberties and DPS Freedoms. The HLF was factory Dodge.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
Not sure the exact model, but the Sound Off Select-a-Pattern HLF has the pattern that they use.

HPD84

May 16, 2010
City of Houston,Texas
Texas DPS contract is Sound Off "Q-Switch" and an exclusive model just for TXDPS "ETQSSSTX" 3 Pattern with MN Star Harness. They have been using them since 2000 and current. I have a pallet of about 1500+ of these,exclusively from them. If any one wants to buy them,let me know.

ai47.photobucket.com_albums_f196_m3rican_2010_20Police_20Equipment_20Sales_fd48e40a.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
medicop88 said:
Was wondering if anyone knows who makes the HLF in the Texas Highway Patrol cars. State's using Whelen Liberty's and Freedoms now, but the HLF has been the same since they were using Tomar rotators.
Uh.
medicop88 said:
the HLF has been the same since they were using Tomar rotators.
Hmm.
medicop88 said:
Tomar rotators.
You sure about that?

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
To echo what nerdy_dood is trying to illustrate, the Texas DPS has never used a Tomar anything on their cars. I'm not going to go as far back as I can, but the Texas DPS primarily used a combination of speaker MX7000's and all-light MX7000's all the way up to the LED change. They also used some JetSonics, since I have a Texas DPS JetSonic in my collection, but that came off of a Driver License Lumina, not a Highway Patrol Crown Victoria.

Before that, the Texas DPS used clear LP6000's as well, but there wasn't any Tomar lights on DPS cars.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
dg0223 said:
To echo what nerdy_dood is trying to illustrate, the Texas DPS has never used a Tomar anything on their cars. I'm not going to go as far back as I can, but the Texas DPS primarily used a combination of speaker MX7000's and all-light MX7000's all the way up to the LED change. They also used some JetSonics, since I have a Texas DPS JetSonic in my collection, but that came off of a Driver License Lumina, not a Highway Patrol Crown Victoria.

Before that, the Texas DPS used clear LP6000's as well, but there wasn't any Tomar lights on DPS cars.

Plus I'm pretty certain that TOMAR has never made any rotating lights, which was the main point of the post.

medicop88

Apr 11, 2011
Rhome, Texas
dg0223 said:

Somebody told me they were Tomar at one point. Thinking back however, I do remember the bars looking a lot like the Code 3s. I do know that they were (and some still are) using Motorola Spectras for the siren function. Anyone know what they are using now?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
medicop88 said:
Somebody told me they were Tomar at one point. Thinking back however, I do remember the bars looking a lot like the Code 3s. I do know that they were (and some still are) using Motorola Spectras for the siren function. Anyone know what they are using now?

Prob still using the Spectra. Ga State Patrol was still using them until very very recently, when they switched from Whelen to Code 3 products and started using mastercoms. Previously, it was Spectra's with a Whelen control box with a pursuit switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.