That's not a real light....

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Note sure if I will get a "Cool !" response or told to delete it. Lol.. I found this Swiss Beacon labeled by Swiss Harmony Co., Chicago. These were made in the 1960's as attention getters for businesses. They spin and have 4 colored glass lens. Blue, Red, Yellow and Green. They have since been replaced by giant gorillas and the dancing tube people. Trippe Light also marketed these and they called them Trippe Welcome Beacons. I suspect this to be a rebranded Trippe but it could be the other way around. This is the first one I have seen in the wild and the lady gave me a really good deal on it so I bought it as a curiosity.

DSC_0098.JPG DSC_0103.JPG DSC_0106.JPG DSC_0102.JPG

This is a page from the 1959 Trippe Catalog dmatheiu posted. I need to find out what type of bulb it uses as th eone in it is to short and the lights shine downward as a good angle.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

goldenswissbeacon1.jpg
This is not my video but you can see what it looks like powered up.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
Yes! Very cool. The town I serve has a full-service privately owned NAPA auto parts store and he uses one of these Swiss lights. I once asked if it was a industrial warning beacon and he explained the attention getter idea. Very cool.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
There are a number of different designs, versions, and manufacturers of this type light, including: Swiss Harmony, Trippe/Tripp, Mars, as well as others. They were also called "Bird" lights. Other color combinations were also used.

Reactions: kitn1mcc
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I see these pop up from time to time. Neat light

Reactions: southpaw

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Where I live, a clothing store used those beacons at every cashier back in the 1970s.

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Speaking of a bird light. Check this out. Strobe light inside a Mars Skybolt dome and base. You can buy replacement domes and red and blue inserts on their website

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 10

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.