The cost of a siren... in 1978

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So last night I was looking for info on the Dunbar-Nunn Corporation, and quite by chance I happened upon something very interesting. I found microfiche of the minutes entry of the Board of County Supervisors of Roanoke meeting on June 13, 1978. Here's the entry I found interesting (typos courtesy of the original author and transcribing software):

"RESOLUTION NO. 2075 AUTHORIZING PURCHASE OF ELECTRONIC SIREN UNITS TO BE USED BY THE ROANOKE COUNTY SHERIFF1S DEPARTMENT

WHEREAS, the Roanoke County Sheriff1s Department has heretofore purchase
new patrol vehicles, which vehilces were not equipped with siren units; and
WHEREAS, the Roanoke County Sheriff's Department, in a report to the
Board dated June 13, 1978, recommended that said vehicles be so equipped; and
WHEREAS, funds for this item are included in the 1977-78 budget.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of County Supervisors of
Roanoke County that the purchase of fifteen (15) electronic siren units with
attendant high wattage speakers, Unitrol 800Y/SCM from Dunbar-Nunn Corporation,
Anaheim, California, be, and the same is hereby, authorized at a cost of $256.6~
per siren and $103.50 per speaker."

So I looked up what one dollar in 1978 would be worth today: $4.55! In today's currency, that Unitrol 800Y would cost $1167.53, and the "attendant high wattage speaker" would be $470.93... kinda makes any of those ~$600 siren and light controllers available today seem like a bargain!

Footnotes: The day this meeting took place I wasn't quite 5 months old yet. And of those 15 Unitrol 800Y sirens mentioned at the meeting, 11 of them are sitting on the shelf in the next room from me. Such a strange coincidence that I found those meeting minutes!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That is very cool. I wonder what was being used before? Mechanical or some crappy electronic units...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.