The lighting ideas thread

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
I was thinking about some things, and I thought it might be fun to have a thread with all of our lighting ideas in it. You know when you're daydreaming and you think "It would be cool if......." - that's the idea.

MSP has their new LED version of the Unity Beacons. I remember years ago I saw a Racine PD squad with two big 4 bulb rotator units on a crossbar, old school style. I think it would be neat to have that with those new LED beacons. You could even have the speaker in the middle, the can lights next to it, all LED, it would be bright and awesome I think.

So, what are your pie in the sky ideas?

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Something like an Opticom receiver in a car that would beep the radio and turn off the music for a few seconds whenever an emergency vehicle running code is near it.

Daniel

May 21, 2010
Leiden, the Netherlands
RL1 said:
Something like an Opticom receiver in a car that would beep the radio and turn off the music for a few seconds whenever an emergency vehicle running code is near it.

We tried that overhere, last year. It was a system sending a sound and an RDS message to on FM radio band, so your radio produced a sirensound and the display showed Alarm or so something.

there is a (dutch) video about it here:

http://www.nuvideo.nl/algemeen/32174/po ... radio.html

From 1:20 it shows the system working.

The test has been finished and it made no difference in response times, so the ministry of the interior will not issue permits to install/use the system.

Regards, Daniël

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Daniel said:
We tried that overhere, last year. It was a system sending a sound and an RDS message to on FM radio band, so your radio produced a sirensound and the display showed Alarm or so something.

there is a (dutch) video about it here:

http://www.nuvideo.nl/algemeen/32174/po ... radio.html

From 1:20 it shows the system working.

The test has been finished and it made no difference in response times, so the ministry of the interior will not issue permits to install/use the system.

Regards, Daniël

Well, that is pretty nifty.

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
We were involved in a test of a similar product here in Central PA. This was in the mid 80. A antenna and a transmitter box was mounted in our rigs and it was suppose to affect the radio in vehicles around us. After testing which we were not privy about the results we never heard a thing about them. Best part about the whole thing was the box the transmitter was in. GUt the junk inside and you could use it for a enclosed mounting bos for radios, sirens, switchbox. I only assume that the company died a slow quiet death as it did not set the world on fire.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
id be careful what ideas you posted cause we do have people from all the big companys that lurk and your idea might get stolen.

TJW

May 20, 2010
MB, Canada
SSgt Elmer said:
I was thinking about some things, and I thought it might be fun to have a thread with all of our lighting ideas in it. You know when you're daydreaming and you think "It would be cool if......." - that's the idea.

MSP has their new LED version of the Unity Beacons. I remember years ago I saw a Racine PD squad with two big 4 bulb rotator units on a crossbar, old school style. I think it would be neat to have that with those new LED beacons. You could even have the speaker in the middle, the can lights next to it, all LED, it would be bright and awesome I think.

So, what are your pie in the sky ideas?

I take it you've never operated an emergency vehicle with a siren speaker above your head? This would be a bad move, taking three steps backwards. I'm quite glad not to have a speaker blaring above my head, it's bad enough sittting in front of you for your long term hearing. I'd certainly hope that no OH&S committee would give that suggestion approval.

While I like the reat of your idea, the siren speaker thing doesn't have merit IMHO.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Okay okay okay get this a "Lightbar with Lasers in it" i know i know it blinds people and hurts them and blah blah blah but it would be cool :cool:

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
TJW said:
I take it you've never operated an emergency vehicle with a siren speaker above your head? This would be a bad move, taking three steps backwards. I'm quite glad not to have a speaker blaring above my head, it's bad enough sittting in front of you for your long term hearing. I'd certainly hope that no OH&S committee would give that suggestion approval.

While I like the reat of your idea, the siren speaker thing doesn't have merit IMHO.
I think in some state, pretty sure Ohio being one of them, they outlawed mounting the speakers up above due to potential ear injuries caused by the noise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.