The Mars Light Bug

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
Very nice. That ones a keeper for sure! One of these days I'll get mine restored. One of these days. . .

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Another Mars Aurora Borealis light bar saved. Gotta like that!
I have one that is quite OK but sadly with a crack in the lens.
The oscillating arms are a little worn so the lamp holders are leaning some so there are a little short circuit when I have tried it.
It is at least a good show piece.

Michael

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
The typical AB setup was red to rear, front center bulbs clear, and end/side bulbs red. Mine has the end clear and center red...there are so many possibilities.... Welcome to the club! Instead of patches, we have bling!

That is the way I had mine set up!

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Yeah its got the Maytag sound alright!! I just updated it and dubbed in a nice tune that at least some will recall. The sticker is really neat! It says "Manufactured by Mars Signal Light Company" "Patent Applied For" And on the front plate it does have a patent number stamped in by hand it appears and is serial 530 so I guess its an early one, but I don't know if it can be dated... As for the GSD, well Liberty does not care too much about it, just as long as she can be around when Dad starts fussing with these light things...

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I found a NOS SW-2 on ebay with original box and warranty registration card.
For less than 70 bucks.
Great find and you seems to have got the SW-2 with the mid sized base.
That version seems to be a little rarer than the more common low based version.
I changed to a red lens on my own because it look much better that way, in my opinion.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Thanks.
The base has a high of 7cm or 2.75"

What are the different high measures of the SW-2 bases?
I am not sure of the different sizes at the moment and I do not have any possibility to measure either just now.

I posted these measures at ELB for some years ago. Maybe on the old platform pre 2010.

If the base is only 7 cm high it is the low base and not the mid base, I will think.

I have the original high base, the mid base and the low base versions in my collection.
The mid base was made in mid 80s and about the time Mars moved from Florida and was bought by Tri-Lite.

Michael

Last edited:

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I saw them, but were sold by the time I got to it. They did not last long, but I do not know who bought them.

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
I actually bought them off his Buy It Now and paid for them, but seller reneged on the sale. Said he made a mistake listing them so he tried to hit me up for more money. Then he relisted them and raised the price atleast 3 more times that I saw. He kept playing the "price changing" game. I hate to give out negative feedback to anyone but this guy deserved it. Hopefully they went to someone who will appreciate them.

Reactions: Tony P

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
Fry his azz! Even fleabay will kick him off for that crap!
Actually I checked into that. Ebay allows sellers to cancel the transaction and refund payment back to the buyer. Its considered a verbal contract which is allowed to be broken on the sellers part. And all the seller has to say is that the item was improperly listed or damaged so the sale was cancelled to protect the buyer (which is all BS).

Reactions: southpaw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.