the newest warning lights arent for vehicles....

Discussion in 'Vehicle Media' started by Jarred J., Aug 8, 2017.

1. Jarred J.

Jarred J. Archive Expert Silver Level Member

if you live near this id like to hear how effective it really is...

Sparky_911 and Kendreth like this.
  2. Kendreth

Kendreth Member

that is pretty cool concept. +1 how effective?

3. Sparky_911

Sparky_911 Member Gold Level Member

Looks cool but I bet it's expensive. Concept seems to work like the old opticom, lights up as you approach and off as you pass. Would be perfect for blind corner/high accident intersections.
    Maybe have the white deactivate upon approach? Could be more confusing than not though.

4. #1texan

#1texan Registered Member

Neat idea, just have to educate the public

ff168577 likes this.
  5. JazzDad

JazzDad Just Another Faceless Member Silver Level Member

Right. Most people have their head so far up their --- that they won't even see them.

CrownVic97 likes this.
  6. Doyle257

Doyle257 Established Member

I feel like you prolly wouldnt be able to use this technology around an airport....

Bvfa23 likes this.
  7. pdk9

pdk9 Veteran Member

Good idea in theory, but I doubt it will be a substantial improvement b/c:
    1) some ppl will not know what the blinking streetlights mean no matter how many public education programs the city has for them
    2) some ppl don't care when they see EVs rolling code 3 and refuse to yield to them b/c they think they're more
    Important (until they're the ones that call 911, then they complain why we took so long)
    3) some ppl have their heads shoved so far up their rectums that all the lights/sirens/horns in the world won't do jack $hit to alert them

Honestly, aside from off-duty first responders in their POVs (who understand the important of yielding and the significance of these street lights), I doubt that many other ppl will react differently to responding EVs. Also, I'm sure that the city can utilize their $ more efficiently in other areas than streetlights (i.e. chevrons on vehicles, upgrading lighting packages/specs, etc)

CrownVic97 and jph2 like this.
  8. Skulldigger

Skulldigger Site Veteran

No large city is going to do the expense of installation and maintenance. It will never work right around Atlanta for sure. They still can't get the expensive traffic control systems to work here they installed 10 years ago.

Street lights within the City of Atlanta limits are divided into three categories:

1. Georgia Power Leased Street Lights (36,633) - Wooden Poles, Fiber Glass Poles and some Transformer Base Poles.

2. City of Atlanta’s owned Surface Street Lights (7,887) - Transformer Base Poles and the City of Atlanta’s type “A” and “C” street lights.

3. Freeway/Interstate Lights – (6,352) Cobra head lights with aluminum poles and Transformer Base Poles on the “freeway” on and off ramps.

9. JazzDad

JazzDad Just Another Faceless Member Silver Level Member

It didn't say in the story, but these might be useful on busy streets around fire stations.

Doyle257 likes this.
  10. jph2

jph2 Senior Member

Ditto. I couldn't think of a nice way to say this.

11. lenny77

lenny77 Site Veteran

cant wait for the first air tower radio chatter.. w.t.f is the runway doing over there!!!

Doyle257, ff168577 and Kendreth like this.
  12. pdk9

pdk9 Veteran Member

Lol. Well, some ppl don't even know when it's appropriate to call 911, so I doubt they'll figure these lights out

13. RescueWV

RescueWV Member

I actually think that this is a more useful application for the technology than trying to outfit an entire city with them the way they show in the video.

Kendreth and Doyle257 like this.
  14. LRGJr72

LRGJr72 Premium Member

I think there are tremendous possibilities with this concept. With some trial & error and an initial public service message informing the public to MOVE TO THE RIGHT and SLOW TO A STOP when they are engaged this could be huge.

Doyle257 likes this.
  15. cmb56

cmb56 Member

There are always people that do not understand that they shall give an emergency vehicle the "right of way".
    Some become scared of the siren so they crach.
    I learned from a friend in Montana Highway Patrol that they are forbidden to use sirens on the highways because of accidents when people become scared and crashed to their death instead of giving the right of way.

Here in Sweden all police vehicles has stop lamps to the front that flashes alternating red and blue with the red slowing down to steady red to give a stop signal to the vehicle in front of the police vehicle.
    This is to make it safer for the police not to need to bypass the vehicle they want to stop.
    How many people do you think know of this system after about 30 years of use?

I am not so sure that all people in this test city will understand it and it will be interesting to see how many surprised/confused persons that will cause an accident.

Michael

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM
  16. bluestinger90

bluestinger90 Member

The lights say nothing about which direction emergency services are coming from, AND they are mounted on top of a light pole.

Drivers already fail to see lights approaching at ground level - diverting drivers attention to flashing lights mounted 40 feet it the air is supposed to improve the situation?!

Why not road mounted signs with flashing lights - you know at eye level.