The official where to buy wire and wiring accessories thread.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Consider this the official thread regarding where to buy wire. This is a common question, it seems like it gets asked every few months. I have merged several similar threads created over the years, and this is the result. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Looking for the best website that carries wiring products, such as wire, wire connectors etc... And preferably accepts paypal.

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
who you guys going through to get your wire and supplied? specifically Im looking for 16 gauge 4 conductor cable in a single jacket ..

something to make wiring led heads accross the vehicle.

also needing wire loom install hardware etc etc

ive googled but im not looking to pay retail and not looking to buy 100000000000 ft of wire.

grantnet10

May 28, 2010
Westchester County, NY
shott8283 said:
who you guys going through to get your wire and supplied? specifically Im looking for 16 gauge 4 conductor cable in a single jacket ..

something to make wiring led heads accross the vehicle.

also needing wire loom install hardware etc etc

ive googled but im not looking to pay retail and not looking to buy 100000000000 ft of wire.

How about this... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-728

They have wire loom, black screws, abs plastic, etc too.

Last edited by a moderator:

emt322636

May 22, 2010
Watertown, NY
I don't mean to thread-jack, but I have a really dumb question that I didn't want to waste an entire new thread on. I may be installing my first siren soon, can I use regular electrical wire for the speakers, or will I need speaker wire?

grantnet10

May 28, 2010
Westchester County, NY
emt322636 said:
I don't mean to thread-jack, but I have a really dumb question that I didn't want to waste an entire new thread on. I may be installing my first siren soon, can I use regular electrical wire for the speakers, or will I need speaker wire?

Copper is Copper in siren speaker installations. Just make sure you get automotive wire, which will withstand the harsh road conditions.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox
May 22, 2010
Central WV
emt322636 said:

You use electrical wire. DO NOT use regular speaker wire like you find on surround sound systems on an install.

shott8283

Jun 2, 2010
Western NY
911 said:
if you look in the for sale area all your questions might get answered with 1 seller
:hissyfit:

i know the post your referencing but i didnt see some of the stuff i was interested in.. ill pm that seller just for giggles to see what the details are

wd97tj

Jan 5, 2011
ny
I went to HOME DEPOT and was ablt to find some on the wire by the foot rack.

google "security wire" 4 conductor wire is comonly used in security system instals. I got 150 feet for next to nothing.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Dont laugh but I found a really simple solution was to go to the local irrigation shop and buy the Toro wiring- ok for low amps etc on leds. Very handy for triggering relays etc. The other extreme is trailer cable 7 core and a separate ground return

jarthur

May 24, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I am about to do an install in my car and was wondering if anyone had good sources for wire at a decent price. I did some quick internet searches and only found like 500' rolls at decent prices which is way more than I need.

Anyone have any tips?

Jon

LawMan902

Mar 29, 2011
FL, USA
I can get pretty much anything I need from my local Radio Shack or Napa auto parts. Different colors, sizes, lengths, etc.... Not the fanciest stuff in the world, but it works and has never failed me.

If you really wanna get fancy though, go to ProWireUSA.com and check out their selection of Mil-Spec and Aircraft Grade wiring. I've used this on race cars, and the wide variety of colors makes it a breeze to figure out what's what. Comes in all popular sizes and is sold by the foot. They also have a great selection of heat shrink tube and boots, relays, breakers, you name it!

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
I use Waytek or MCMElectronics. Have used Mouser if I'm looking for something specific.

depending on how many installs you're doing, the 100ft or 250ft spools are nice!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
RobK said:
I use Waytek or MCMElectronics. Have used Mouser if I'm looking for something specific.

depending on how many installs you're doing, the 100ft or 250ft spools are nice!

How are their shipping fees?

I've seen a lot of decent prices for wire on the net, but then the shipping fees get rather gruesome. :(

RobK

May 23, 2010
Tolland County, CT
MCM seems to be the worst. I'm not sure if it has changed but they didn't even tell you what the fee was. They calculated it when it was going out the door.

I think the others were reasonable. I usually tried to get a decent order together and not just order one item

Steve0625 said:
How are their shipping fees?

I've seen a lot of decent prices for wire on the net, but then the shipping fees get rather gruesome. :(

/

Dec 15, 2010
Midwest USA
jarthur said:
I am about to do an install in my car and was wondering if anyone had good sources for wire at a decent price. I did some quick internet searches and only found like 500' rolls at decent prices which is way more than I need.

Anyone have any tips?

Jon

What are you getting ready to install ? Have alot of left over wire from a install on alot of emergency equip. This is some really good weather proof wire. Let me know how much and what size . Email best

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Where are some good places (with good prices) to purchase bulk/wholesale supplies? For example:

wire

loom

connectors

switches

relays

etc....

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
thanks for the sites but do you have any that you dont need an account or a buisness to order from?

most seem that you might need a tax id or something

i have a side job that i do car audio video security and pov installs

this could help me out alot

thanks

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
carguy411 said:
thanks for the sites but do you have any that you dont need an account or a buisness to order from?
most seem that you might need a tax id or something

i have a side job that i do car audio video security and pov installs

this could help me out alot

thanks

Waytek and Tessco will let you order. You can get blue sea systems from Amazon.

Waytek will get you wire, connectors, switches, loom, breakers, etc...

Tessco for any RF-related supplies.... Coax, antennas, etc...

carguy411

Oct 25, 2011
ny
k thanks ill check them out

ryanm said:
Waytek and Tessco will let you order. You can get blue sea systems from Amazon.

Waytek will get you wire, connectors, switches, loom, breakers, etc...

Tessco for any RF-related supplies.... Coax, antennas, etc...

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I really like Talley Communications for radio antenna supplies.

Way-Tek and Del-City for wiring supplies.

Terminal Supply Company for AMP connectors.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I use Motorola Online for my antennas because they have always been cheaper and they are the major brands we buy everywhere else but, you will need to have an account to be able to buy from them. If you are a fire,leo, or ems department you might want to check into getting an account and you can look up your parts with ease. There is also Hutton Communications for communication supplies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.