The Original Federal Enterprises FB-1

May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
Very Rare. This is a prototype of what Federal Enterprises originally envisioned as their “Fireball” warning light. Note the sleek fin design of that art-deco era for this roof mounted light. Using a 6VDC Par 46 bulb and a "split/folded" rotating reflector, it provides dual beams from the downfacing light source. Most of Federal's unique innovations were lead by their Chief Engineer Earl Gosswiller (his name was on dozens of patents), from these lights to the Beacon Ray series, all the way thru the Twin-Beacon Rays, Twinsonic (he came up with that idea after watching the Twin beacon Rays light beams reflect off the chrome center mounted CP-25 speaker) , Aero-Dynic, JetSonic and others-all came from Earl & his team. If anyone has any paperwork on this light, I'd love for you to share it. I am only aware of two of these in existence. Enjoy. Billy G (PS-I have a video of it but unsure how to post it on here-if an admin can email me at chgold151@gmail.com -- I'll send it to whoever can post it here-thanks)
IMG_6190.jpgIMG_6194.jpgIMG_6195.jpg

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
First of all.... HOLY SMOKES! I have never heard of these before. Second, I sent you an email so we can get a video to folks :)

GREAT piece to share.

Reactions: Billy Goldfeder
May 28, 2010
Loveland, Ohio
Great comments. I had heard for years there was at least one out there-and now it's confirmed at least two exist.

I had a very unique opportunity in the late 80's to spent a few days as the guest of Federal (with the late Jerry Williams who was their national fire/police/EMS leader) - and as part of that-I spent hours photo copying old paperwork, but even since then, have not been able to find anything on these FB-1's. Trippe produced a similar shaped light known as the "Hi-Ball" (photos of Trippe's HB-2 attached) which uses a simple mechanism of a rotating reflector around a bulb (similar to early teardrop shaped Fireballs, Vitalites etc etc) - and that's what I thought this one was when I heard about it.

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics and video-it really is a cool piece of the history we enjoy. Billy

Attachments

• IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 7

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello!
Nice piece you have there! Definitely beyond rare item there. I have seen the other one in existence in person. I can confirm with yours now, that there are still two examples out there!
Enjoy!

Reactions: dmathieu

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
wow impressive , thank you for sharing .

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Cool light. Worked like Pyle Light that you would find on trains. I have seen an old airplane belly light that used a similar set up. The FS pioneer 27S light was similar accept the single reflector. None are as cool as that one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.