Announcement The "RAM" in RAM4, In Memory of R.A. Marcson 1948-2022

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Some of you may have been around long enough to remember the first version of the eLightbars message board. It was an account named "RAM4" on a service called boardhost. The RAM4 was the username my father Robert Anthony Marcson got for the family on CompuServe and AOL (RAM1, 2 and 3 were taken even then) when those services came out. The initials stuck and I have used them in usernames and email addresses even to this day. One of the first questions I asked on AOL was to settle a $5 bet between my father and I about whether Pennsylvania State Police had rotating or strobe lights at the time they began moving to Visions (1994). The answers I got were less than totally accurate but some people (a few who later ended up using this site) did respond with the correct info and some close up pictures of the Commander PA5200 Whelen strobe beacon I collect. The beacons are obviously strobe and I gained $5 and appreciation for finding info about my interests online. Shortly after AOL became expensive and the internet became "free" is when I started the "RAM4" board. The firehouse.com forums were not a really meant for light questions, and I wanted to focus on collecting the equipment. Since then I have followed my passion for both the equipment and the professions they represent through various methods and I have worked continuously in emergency services since 1998.

On Aug 29th Tony "RAM4" Marcson died from natural causes under the care of his family and Hospice. My dad always supported my unusual hobbies and one way I tried to thank him was by keeping his original username part of my online life. He took that $5 bet knowing I was right but he wanted me to research the topic myself. His support and clever but caring methods of helping me follow my interests served me well. I hope everyone who has enjoyed this site and my various contributions to this hobby and related professions over the years can keep in their thoughts that the initial venture into the online world for this hobby was supported by "RAM".

obitedit2.jpg

obitonline.jpg

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
I'm sorry to hear of you and your family's loss. Thank you for sharing the story and may you find comfort in the memories like those

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Andy L.

Jun 16, 2010
Michigan
John,

It seems I don’t get on ELB nearly as much as use to…I don’t recall exactly when I first joined but it was near the beginning. Made some great contacts and friends over the years with ELB…it even lead to me starting my own business. I learned a lot from all the people you pulled together over the years.

Thank you for taking the time to share the “why”, something many don’t take the time to recognize these days. My sincere condolences on the passing of your father. It sounds like you two shared a very strong bond.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.