Think i have an IMPERSONATOR calling me! Never mind

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Okay, Friday night and Saturday night about 12am a person claiming to be an Officer Riviera has called my house twice about an application i "supposedly" filled out on November 21st 2008. I don't recall ever filling out any applications other than 1, which i got the position with. I can't remember if he said which department he was with when he called the first time, and when he called the second time i asked him which department he was with and the phone either got disconnected or he hung up. I called 911 dispatch and they said they couldn't find an officer Riviera on the computer. I did call case desk and i made a report, i also alerted my department that someone was possibly impersonating an officer. His number is coming up as unknown so i can't call it back. Any other ideas as to what i should do other than call 911 if he calls again?

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Unfortunately that is about all you can do, especially with their number being restricted. Only other thing you can really do is get a recording of the conversation and then turn it into the PD and have them fill out a supplementary report.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
DaveCN5 said:
. Only other thing you can really do is get a recording of the conversation and then turn it into the PD and have them fill out a supplementary report.

Huh, i never thought of a recording, if he calls again i sure will!

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Fast LT1 said:
Huh, i never thought of a recording, if he calls again i sure will!

Depending on where you live, it could be illegal to record them without their consent, but because the person is claiming to be an officer, I don't think the PD would do anything.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Dial *57 after the call next time. This will trace the call, and keep a log at the phone company. It usually costs a little to use, but at least you can track it down.

D

Donslockkey

Actually that would fall under a type of harrassment and prank phone calls. Have the phone company tag your line for awhile tell them someone has been calling your house in the middle of the night and back trace the incoming call in that time period. I also agree record the phone calls. It may be illegal but there are circumstances invovled where this can negated, but work with the local law on this because if he is saying he is with a dept he is probably impersonating.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
ISU_Cyclone said:
I thought it was *69
*69 recalls the last number, if it's not blocked. Caller ID kind of killed the need for it.

*59 is call trace, even if the number is blocked, the phone company can still get it, and log it for their records.

rick h.

May 21, 2010
Green Bank WV.
You can also advise him that such and such has moved away and here is his phone number *************. give him the number of the police chief or the mayor :D :D

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
I'm just guessing but it sounds like this would be someone you know just dicking with you. Nothing else really makes since. Does someone really think they are going to get over on you by call you at midnight on a weekend about an application you filled out two years ago?

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
Just throwing this out there but was the call from a soundboard? Officer riviera is the LEO on the YouTube videos recorded using unnssary force against kids and there a ton of prank calls using quotes from the YouTube videos like "I am Officer..RIVIERA" check it out on youtube

Kp

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
HFD eng1ine said:
Just throwing this out there but was the call from a soundboard? Officer riviera is the LEO on the YouTube videos recorded using unnssary force against kids and there a ton of prank calls using quotes from the YouTube videos like "I am Officer..RIVIERA" check it out on youtube

Kp

WOW!!!! Can someone say JACKASS!

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
kinnelonfire75 said:
I tried dialing both numbers *59 and *57 after calling my cell from my house phone and neither did the trace...
Try the opposite, it's a land-line thing I think, not a cell phone thing. Be careful doing it though, it actually reports the call as abuse, but does not give you the number.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
The guy in the video's! You're cool "DUDE!!!" Anyhow it turns out it was all actually legit, he just called me tonight about 2 minutes ago, and i got a badge number and name, called dispatch and they said it was legit. So i'm going out there Friday for 3rd shift they want me to come in and meet everyone and then we'll be discussing swat training among other stuff!

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Which dept would have an officer/recruiter call at midnight, (and on a weekend nonetheless) and hang up/disconnect more than once- without a callback immediately to apologize?

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
No shit, this guy seems to be involved in a lot of drama. Plus why do they want you to come in and meet everyone and talk about SWAT? Does the SWAT suck that bad they are looking for non police, possible recruits to fill slots???? just sayin ...

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
TNFF412N said:
No shit, this guy seems to be involved in a lot of drama. Plus why do they want you to come in and meet everyone and talk about SWAT? Does the SWAT suck that bad they are looking for non police, possible recruits to fill slots???? just sayin ...

Probably, its a small ass town 40 miles away, i'm not too interested to be honest. :roll:

And he did call back once he got disconnected, it was a while after though. :?

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Fast LT1 said:
Probably, its a small ass town 40 miles away, i'm not too interested to be honest. :roll:

And he did call back once he got disconnected, it was a while after though. :?

Might be different near you, but usually when it's a small town, they don't worry about trying to fill a SWAT team with their 10 officers. My area uses regional teams a lot....and each department usually has 1 or 2 guys on it...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.