Think my Pyramid Power supply just ruined a Jetsonic.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
So, I was doing a final check of the Jetsonic Series B I picked up from Rugby earlier this week. I hooked power and ground up correctly and applied the rotator trigger wire to power. All went great, until I removed the trigger wire. The motor sped up and the rotators did not go back to home position and kept going, bulbs off now. Then, the relay bank started buzzing and then the motor slowed down to a crawl, relay still buzzing. I pulled all leads off right then. I wondered what happened and pulled the cover off the relay bank. I temporarily put power back on and the relay closest to the speaker showed a spark between contacts, then stopped. I checked all grounds: Good. Leads: Good. So...I turned focus to the power supply. I had a spare halogen headlight bulb and put power to it. In 2 seconds, it shorted out. Freakin....great. The power supply has a fault now it seems and overloads the accessory. So, the big question: Did I just kill that Jetsonic's guts by accident? I feel sick about this.....uuuggghh x-( !

Last edited:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
maybe over voltage
I'm thinking you're right, Kit. *Sighs* Welp, guess I'll make that Jetsonic a dumb one now, so it'll at least have rotators, takedowns, and alleys. Crappity crap crappers....got-damn power supply had to screw up a vintage bar. Gonna buy a MegaWatt 50 amp switching supply with complete short circuit protection. No more BS.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Make sure that your new power supply really work with electronics.
There are alot that make electronics go haywire or even fry the electronics.

For some 30 years ago I learned this lesson by destroying the circuit board flasher in an JS-1 and a Hella electronic flasher.
Fortunately there was discrete components used that I could replace to get them working again.
An IC in the JS-1 and a few transistors in the Hella.

If you are lucky there are not much that have been destroyed in your JetSonic so you might be able to repair it.

I have found it much better to use a 12 Volt battery that you charge once and avile.

Michael

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I don't know if I can send the Jetsonic's circuit board anywhere to get repaired. That's the bugger of this whole fiasco. Certainly not gonna bin it, but who can work on that board properly is a whole 'nother issue...

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Have you tried the bar with a battery to see what are not working?

Do you have any school nearby that has an electronics education where you can get help to find the problem and maybe get it solved with only the component cost?
If so, talk with the teacher so he understand that the circuit board is not to be destroyed and he can supervice with he’s expertice.

Michael

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I've noticed with electronic power supplies like the Pyramids, the voltage is near 24V until you put a substantial load on the power supply.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Have you tried the bar with a battery to see what are not working?

Do you have any school nearby that has an electronics education where you can get help to find the problem and maybe get it solved with only the component cost?
If so, talk with the teacher so he understand that the circuit board is not to be destroyed and he can supervice with he’s expertice.

Michael
I used my Astron 35 amp back up power supply (which is a better brand and stays between 12-15 volts constant) and the board just buzzes. Nothing happens. No electronic schools near me either :-(

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I've noticed with electronic power supplies like the Pyramids, the voltage is near 24V until you put a substantial load on the power supply.
I have had this Pyramid for over 8 years and it never screwed up until now. I don't know if I had the got-damn leads touching unbeknownst to me and fired up the unit and they shorted out the internal protection. It has a circuit breaker, but apparently that bastard failed to do its job >:-(

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
BTW, here's the MegaWatt power supply webpage. I actually have a 36 amp one from them to run my Tripp Lite S-74 beacon, and it works flawlessly. Good power supplies for sure and made in the good ol' US of A! http://megawattpowersupplies.com/

Reactions: TDC and FCV96

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Not running fuses?
The wiring I used on the power supply has an inline fuse, but that didn't fail. Plus, the lightbar had no internal fuse block. So....yeah....

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
that pyramid is a stepper power supply too i think
It is, and it's definitely the last time I trust the Pyramid brand. I went to read reviews on the model I had. 75-85% I looked at had nothing good to say about 'em. I must have gotten a fluke and it lasted so long until it finally decided to foul up just as I am working on a special kind of lightbar. Lovely...:rolleyes:.

Probably gonna order that MegaWatt 50 Amp power supply after the next paycheck comes in...

BTW, has anyone here ever fixed a Jetsonic Series B Control Board? If so, holler back. Thank you. I want to get this working properly again before making it a dumb Jetsonic.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
always just float charge a battery
I could, but then the issue with potential leaks and a catch tray for it for in-house use is another thing. I like what I've researched on the MegaWatt power supplies. I feel best going that route, plus, they don't take up much room either.

Reactions: FCV96

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Does the owner of MegaWatt Power Supplies build the power supplies himself?
No, it's a small company out of California and several people work there. But, they are well built supplies

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Your not the only one who has toasted a JS series board..
I have a replacement for mine, but I am hesitant to do anything until I can confirm it won't happen again.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Your not the only one who has toasted a JS series board..
I have a replacement for mine, but I am hesitant to do anything until I can confirm it won't happen again.

Sucky-ass feeling when it does happen.....bleecch :(.

I decided not to go through the hassle of trying to repair the board by outsourcing and just made all the functions work the old fashioned way. Besides, the lenses are not the best, even after wet sanding and polishing, and the back rear speaker driver cover was snapped in half at one point during its service. So, this JetSonic will go to somebody or maybe another department that needs an upgrade or replacement done. Many rural departments take what they can get!

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
What does your board look like ?
I found these on the shelf. I know they were for the Jet but I have no way of testing them.
They have been in a tub for many years. PM me if they are of interest.

-Pete

Attachments

• JetSonicBoards 001.JPG
    JetSonicBoards 001.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 21
  • JetSonicBoards 002.JPG
    JetSonicBoards 002.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 20

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Thanks for the offer, Pete, but those aren't the same. I'm just gonna keep it a basic JetSonic now and let things be. At least the bar works again....minus the features it originally had.

TDC

Lifetime VIP Donor
Dec 4, 2012
Carswell AFB, TX
BTW, here's the MegaWatt power supply webpage. I actually have a 36 amp one from them to run my Tripp Lite S-74 beacon, and it works flawlessly. Good power supplies for sure and made in the good ol' US of A! http://megawattpowersupplies.com/
Thank you all for this info. Just bought a MegaWatt 50 amp ... instant on, even with a full up AD.
Very small also; smaller than a kid shoe box. "Replaces," an Astron 50 amp, which is easily 1lb/amp.

Reactions: CrownVic97

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
BTW, here's the MegaWatt power supply webpage. I actually have a 36 amp one from them to run my Tripp Lite S-74 beacon, and it works flawlessly. Good power supplies for sure and made in the good ol' US of A!

I'm curious, where did you see the "made in USA" info? Nothing on the website that I can find. I've been trying to find out from the seller whether they build these units domestically or import them, and I haven't gotten a straight answer.

Of course, I'm fully aware that the vast majority of electronics are imported, but I'd like to know what supposedly makes the Megawatt supplies better than others.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I'm curious, where did you see the "made in USA" info? Nothing on the website that I can find. I've been trying to find out from the seller whether they build these units domestically or import them, and I haven't gotten a straight answer.

Of course, I'm fully aware that the vast majority of electronics are imported, but I'd like to know what supposedly makes the Megawatt supplies better than others.
Here's a review on a MegaWatt 30 amp power supply vs a Chinese knock-off. They do mention they are made in the US.

Funny they are giving you an issue with your inquiry, man. I might need to do more research before committing to anything yet with MegaWatt.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The solid state power supplies, similar to this MegaWatt brand are what I started using, and then migrated to my current setup. I actually have 3 different ways to power lighting I am working on.. The bench has 2 Batteries (sealed) in series.. these are not car batteries but similar in size and are used in electric wheelchairs. I have them running to a wiring block which is fused, and when not in use a trickle charger keeps them 100%.
When I am on the road, or testing prior to purchase.. I have Jump pack.. Basic Harbor Freight one or something else cheap. I make sure to run a lead from it that is fused, lastly which is the point of this thread.. I have a solid state power supply that is variable voltage that will power upto 50 amps.. It has worked fine, but there are some lights that did not like it or acted weird when connected to it.. (certain strobes) and it has been replaced by the 2 batteries in series.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Hmm...I might just think about the battery in series with trickle charger in tow. We'll see!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.