Thinking about moving

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Tired of the snow, tired of the cold, tired of the politics and ungodly cost of living. My taxes are horrible, I can't take a leak off my backporch without a building permit, and the numerous stipulations and costs that fo with it. Yea a could hop a border and get out of NY, but why stop there. Just sell a majority of the crap own and get the hell out of dodge.

I can take the heat, that's what A/C and lakes are for. Don't like the humidity so was aiming for someplace dryer. Always had my heart set on Texas. I like horses and flat land. Only requirements I'm looking for is the ability to find a job, humidity on the mild side, a house with at least 2+ acres not in town, cell service and a landline internet connection( hell I don't even have internet now, and I'm destined to a single cell carrier because of where I live) and away from all that drought crap further west.

So where is a good place to live in Texas (or other states if you have a valid reason and meets my criteria)

Any ideas, stories, thoughts or inspiration are appreciated.

Coming from a guy who already has a house and wife and a son here in NY.

Reactions: Station 3
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Don't come to PA!  we have waaaaay  too many NYers as it is!   lol  j/k

Seriously though,   NY & NJ are running out of control... I fear PA may be next.

Reactions: Retired1

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
haha, starting over again. hum.......
Are you kidding!!?? I rescued my wife from PA. You guys are crazy- no offense Boulder, well maybe he is crazy?

If I'm going to move, I'm doing it big. Tired of moving wood pellets and shoveling snow, plowing the driveway, freezing my buns off just to go outside

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Nort Dakoootah.. :lol:   While the oil work has dried up a bit, there's still plenty of jobs and low cost of living, as long as you stay away from the west side of the state.

You're not going to get away from the cold here though, but it does keep a lot of the riffraff out.... 40 deg outside today and i'm nearly running around in a short sleeve shirt, sweating to death at work. I've grown accustomed to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Having fled Illinois weather in the 1970s, I lived, worked, and traveled in Texas for the next 37 years. As a matter of necessity (good wages), I stayed in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, but longed for the open spaces. My wife and I took a road map and every weekend we drove a new road. We surely saw more of Texas than 99% of native Texans ever saw. As far as where we would most like to live, we both came to the same conclusion (more on that in a minute).

The major metro areas (D/FW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc) have all become super populated and congested. Most are inhabited by a majority of liberal minded people (not ideal for a conservative minded person such as myself). No one has seen traffic congestion like Houston and Austin have.That said, the highest wages are still generally earned in these areas.

I found endearing features in every geographical part of Texas. The East Texas Piney Woods (humid and bugs - lots of bugs), The Galveston and southward Gulf waterfront (hurricanes), D/FW and Austin (cosmopolitan recreation), Northeast Texas (Caddo Lake),  West Texas (Palo Duro Canyon and energy related employment) and more.

As far as cold is concerned, one needs to select a location south of a line about 90 miles south of Fort Worth (read: Waco and Waco is not on my list of places I liked to live in)) to be totally free of the snow and ice . 

Lakes are mostly man made by USA Corps of Engineers damming rivers and streams. The Colorado River based lakes are excellent. You can still find real gold (flecks) laying in the river bed.  The lakes northwest of Austin are superb. I also really liked Caddo Lake in northeast Texas (no work there, mostly poverty or self employed). 

I could write volumes more, but let me get to my favorite place in Texas to live. It is:  

drumroll,

another drumroll, 

trumpets blaring:

Boerne, Texas.

Boerne is a historically German descent populated city located in the absolutely stunning Texas Hill Country. Folks of all cultural backgrounds form the current population.The wildflowers form unbelievable carpets of color. San Antonio and Austin are short (by Texas standards) drives away. One could spend years exploring the sights and history of the Hill Country.

It has everything Wilson (and wife and son) could want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Hill_Country

http://texashillcountry.com/

https://www.google.com/search?q=texas+hill+country&espv=2&biw=931&bih=594&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nfQeVYr3GcaHsAWopoG4Cw&ved=0CEAQsAQ&dpr=1.1

http://www.visitboerne.org/

http://innewbraunfels.com/visit/

http://www.canyon-lake.net/

http://www.visitfredericksburgtx.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw9PioBRDdpqy0-ofG3DgSJAACe5NEpxK47TuNuiDvFYTH6FK12gBFYTWIFa8tI44Yu5FkzRoCWm7w_wcB

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_City,_Texas

http://www.highlandlakes.com/

http://www.highlandlakes.com/Llano/

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Tennessee,

sounds good to me.

State motto...

Reactions: wilsonbr90
May 10, 2012
New England
Get an entry-level job with a DHS component (there are zillions of openings all the time, all over NY, even upstate), finish your probationary period, then transfer (or apply for a different "status" job) to Texas.

If you stay in the same job (let's say, a CBP LECA position), you will keep your paygrade and step and enjoy the low cost of living in TX. Or climb the ladder and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

There are even more openings on the southwest border than in NY.

That's what half of my employees do (I'm a supervisor in one of the border agencies) :(

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I live in Boerne, I love it here. I'm looking for land now, I want atleast 40 acres in the Hill Country.

What type of work do you do right now? San Antonio is actually becoming the IT capital of the US.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
My vote is the great commonwealth of Virginia.

I came here from NW Ohio in 1980. I love it.

Yes we got a little snow this year but it's usually gone in 2-3 days.

And yes, I did complain but it was 80+ degrees today.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Here in NY, politicians are looking to take away 2nd Amendment rights...

Down in TX, I am PRETTY sure their welcome-package includes 3-5 firearms given to you upon moving in, free of charge...

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Unless you lean left (politically) you probably want to avoid Austin/Travis County. Hippie paradise, high cost of living, and an island of blue in a sea of red.

Not that we need more people, but Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't have quite the humidity issues of Houston/SA, and the job market is fantastic. East of here is nice and not as populated, until you reach those other countries (Arkansas, Louisiana).

The Hill Country is quite scenic, although likely a bit higher cost of living.

Texas is the best damn country in the world... although Zapp, I was born here and I didn't receive my welcome package. Do you know where I can complain? 3-5 free guns would be great!

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Been a central IL guy my whole life....winters get chilly but no where near the snow the NE gets.  Springs are mild and last from late March to late May, T-storms and tornaders in the spring but it seems you get those anywhere except the Rockys or west coast..  Summer runs from there...August and September usually heat up but October and November are like spring....60s-70s during the day and 40s at night.  Late December thru Feb get cold again and we usually don't get snow til mid January.  

As for the job market...always work in computers, service industries (electrician,HVAC, etc), medical (hospitals), and government levels (city,county,state at least in the capitol area).  You could probably stay employed with LED swaps for at least a few months...lol!

Some left wing stuff here..but it swings back and forth depending on who is in office.  A lot of downstaters feel that WI and IN should divide and absorb Chicago....(no offense to anyone in WI or IN).  But hey...we finally got concealed carry...oh and I can pee off my back OR front porch wihout a permit, although my neighbors might not like the front porch part...ha ha ha.

Living wise...cost of living is pretty decent (except for Chicago area) and land/houses the size of what you seek should be easy to find especially south or west central IL.  Internet service (cable and DSL) are very good and cell coverage (ATT,Verzion,Sprint, to name a few) until you get into Shawnee Nat'l forest down in the very southern part of the state. 

The county Im in has a city of just over 100,000.  Drive 10 miles (max) in any direction from the steps of the capitol building and you are in a rural area.  I drive 7.7 miles to work and it has never taken more than 15 minutes to get there.   Lots of vollie FD's always looking for good help as well.

For things to do...lots of history and culture stuff (Land of Lincoln...no shortage of that stuff), St. Louis is a fun place to go (family or not) on a day trip or a weekender and is only 1-2 hour ride.  Really bored? 20 minute flight or 3 hour drive to Chicago, 4 hour ride to Indy...12hrs to New Orleans. 

Good luck in your hunt....

(PLEASE NO ONE TAKE OFFENSE TO THE FOLLOWING...TOTAL BAD JOKE AHEAD) Remember what Gunny Sgt. Hartman said in Full Metal Jacket..."only 2 things come from Texas"...(again kidding, I just couldn't resist...I personally have family in Texas and I can say TX has some fine citizens, and the women...WOW)

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Texas is the best damn country in the world... although Zapp, I was born here and I didn't receive my welcome package. Do you know where I can complain? 3-5 free guns would be great!
Best country in the world?

Well wilsonbr90, we know how the educational system is down there, take that into consideration with your son! :lol:

I guess when you are born there you don't get the welcome package, its assumed you will get them anyway!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Are you kidding!!?? I rescued my wife from PA. You guys are crazy- no offense Boulder, well maybe he is crazy?

If I'm going to move, I'm doing it big. Tired of moving wood pellets and shoveling snow, plowing the driveway, freezing my buns off just to go outside
Hey!!!  I resemble that remark...  lol

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
The mere fact that Garza lives in Texas makes me NOT want to even visit there, never mind move there...  lol

I have to agree with boulder. The State of Texas lets me have a gun and a shiny star on my chest and they gave me the right to pull over citizens......... That is scary if you think about it. :crazy:

But on the bright side... In Texas volley fire fighters are allowed to run any damn color they want and there are plenty of volley fire depts to play in down here. B)   :cool:

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Best country in the world?

Well wilsonbr90, we know how the educational system is down there, take that into consideration with your son! :lol:

I guess when you are born there you don't get the welcome package, its assumed you will get them anyway!
If you lived here, you'd understand why this is the best damn country in the world. But, since you're a Yankee, not so much. :D

Remember, according to the 2012 study, if Texas were a stand-alone country, it would have the 14th largest economy in the world. We have more exports than California and New York combined. Silicon Hills. Two of the largest Army facilities in the world. The majority of the US oil production and refinery facilities. 4 tier-one national research universities. The most farms (by number and acreage) of any state in the Union. On and on.

The only downside... Garza needs to do a little better job down there on the border...

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
I have been thinking about getting out of the shity weather here,   I was thinking South Florida,.   i like the beach

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Hell, why not just give TxDPS Apache helos?

Oh that's right, some liberal with a sandgina will protest about the militarization of local law enforcement if they had those.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.