Thoughts on shipping a Jetsonic?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
What are some thoughts on shipping a Jetsonic? Main concern is the incredible wasted space from the peak of the speaker section. The bar could be put in at an angle with the peak in the corner of the box or shipped separately but someone must have a better way. Thoughts? I am considering just stripping and selling parts individually unless I can figure out something reasonable.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
UPS Golf bag box (48x15x15) cut lengthwise in half, bubble wrap it well and then sandwich the box halves together and tape it all up. Sturdy package with minimal wasted space then.

Also, pro tip if you ship from MN, WI, IA, IL, ND, SD to anyone in MN, WI, IA, IL, ND, SD and parts of NE... use Spee-Dee delivery whenever possible. I have shipped full-size bars for as little as $12 and it is usually next day delivery.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
What are some thoughts on shipping a Jetsonic? Main concern is the incredible wasted space from the peak of the speaker section. The bar could be put in at an angle with the peak in the corner of the box or shipped separately but someone must have a better way. Thoughts? I am considering just stripping and selling parts individually unless I can figure out something reasonable.
Way back when I tried to combine multiple bars and got burned by different series I had to unload the bars and locally wasn't an option because I had too many. I shipped them like a twinsonic meaning I just pretended the highest and deepest part (the speaker) was the actual dimension of the bar. The boxes were big but not really bigger than an XL9000 or Twinsonic, there are just voids to pad and fill. In today's shipping market I would only ship a super rare one for super rare $$$. You will probably spend $200 in shipping and packing if not more. As far as parting them out, I hate to see that but it's probably the way to cheaply sell them, especially on eBay.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
UPS Golf bag box (48x15x15) cut lengthwise in half, bubble wrap it well and then sandwich the box halves together and tape it all up. Sturdy package with minimal wasted space then.

Also, pro tip if you ship from MN, WI, IA, IL, ND, SD to anyone in MN, WI, IA, IL, ND, SD and parts of NE... use Spee-Dee delivery whenever possible. I have shipped full-size bars for as little as $12 and it is usually next day delivery.
I did not know about Speedee, thanks. Otherwise just trying to avoid so much wasted space!

Reactions: tsquale

gtpts27

Jul 1, 2017
Virginia
I've shipped 2 or 3 in the last year. Huge PITA to pack given the issue you raise. I've become a lot better at cutting down boxes since I shipped them. I'm guessing that would help a lot, but there'd still be a lot of empty space to fill. Given the speaker is angled out on both ends, you end up needing an even wider/deeper box than you'd think. Plus, the sharp and awkward edges of the speaker housing make it a bit tougher to protect than the typical bar shapes.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I did not know about Speedee, thanks. Otherwise just trying to avoid so much wasted space!
There is no good way to get around the wasted space. I did have one shipped to me that wasn't packed at all, just wrapped in plastic. It wasn't damaged but I didn't know that the person was doing it that way and wouldn't try that again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.