Thoughts on Vista

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I got a cool Federal Vista this week for only 25 dollars in working condition and complete. It has some problems that are not a big deal and I'm going to fix it. Mainly someone rigged it up so just the rotators and front take downs work. It has 5 rotators, flashers front rear, take downs, alleys and sweepers. Red domes, that are hazed. I'm planning to convert to all Amber for race track duty this summer.
I'm not a big fan of the weird shape of it plus it's heavy for a smallish bar, but I love the rotators. I have a JetStrobe I was going to use, but I'm liking the rotators look, can't wait to see it in amber with clear lemses. I know these aren't as cool as a streethawk, but what is your take on vistas? Here is mine and I think it is well worth 25 dollars and the small amount of money I had to put into it to make it perfect. I think I will keep this one

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_191701.jpg
    IMG_20200428_191701.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200428_100554.jpg
    IMG_20200428_100554.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200428_100536.jpg
    IMG_20200428_100536.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: OliverD and Dave F

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Good for surfing.. strobe version suck

Reactions: Eric2.0

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Good deal for the bar. They are heavy and bulky. If it's going on a daily driver you'll probably lose 3-4 mpg. Might be pricey to convert. If the jet strobe is amber go with it.

Reactions: Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Yepp my JetStrobe is all amber, although I do have red and clear inserts if I want to get my ass a big law violation.
I'm a sucker for the old, big bars, loved them since a kid and always wanted one, but no reason for one until now(duties at a race track/lite towing).
My JetStrobe is the Chicago P.D. version with all metal center and 10 strobes, alleys, take downs and rear flashers. I just hope those strobes last a while, because I have a feeling they are not easy to find like an H-1 halogen like in the Vista.
I might replace one of the domes to a green for green/red on the Vista and have one hell of a nice Christmas light.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
My brother and I always called it "the football." Later, I kinda wanted to get one and put Stewie Griffin's face on top.

But about the bar, I think it was a bad attempt at an answer to the MX7000 after C3 really ran with the 2 tier concept that, to the best of my knowledge, was introduced by FedSig in the Streethawk. IMO, it would have been better for them to stick with that Streethawk platform and just put a clear lower on it so you could populate it more.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I think Federal was attempting to bring a better 360 degree viewing angle, with the Vista. Instead of going straight like a hawk or Mx7000, they made it oval shaped to get more of the front and back viewable from the side. Well, that's my guess, but it does fit well on top of my little ranger truck. I'd leave it on, but it's so heavy, overkill on a little truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_121430.jpg
    IMG_20200428_121430.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 19

DLBFalcon

Aug 22, 2013
Colorado
I have a Vista rotator version in my collection and I like it more than I thought I would. (Ended up buying it from a guy I was getting another bar from and didn't know he had it until I was looking at the other bar -- bought both bars.) I personally think just try it out for a while and see if YOU like it or not. That's all that matters is if you like it. If not you can always change it out with another bar. A couple of bars I've always liked with rotators are the Code 3 MX7000 and the Code 3 LP6000. I also like the Federal Signal Vision and always thought the Vision kind of looked funny shaped, but I love the features on it! Sorry I'm so long winded, but just try it out see how it goes and go from there! Have fun!!

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Oh I like it and keeping it.
I have duties this summer at the race track doing push duties and picking up parts after a crash, stuff like that. Other guys have the cheap, LED mini bar stuff, so I will be the brightest out there, hahah. Just have to land those Amber domes and switch out with the reds. She is no longer a New York State trooper car bar.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I have a pallet of these bars of both halogen and strobe. Do not know what to do with them yet. If any one needs parts, got lots of them too.

Impala9C1

Sep 28, 2018
Arizona
I like Vistas. It is hard to fully appreciate strobe ones on video. Rotators are always preferable. I don't recall ever actually seeing one in-service though. They were not used where I was.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
I think for a little while some depts in South Florida used them as a try out then went back to tried and true, whelen dominates down here though some depts use federal signal but you know it's all based on the almighty dollar!

Reactions: jdh

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
From what I have seen here in central fl, it is mixed Whelen and Federal. Some smaller cities use C3. FHP were primarily Federal. They tried the Javalen for a few years, and I saw some with MX's back in the day. The mustangs they got had the LFL.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
My Vista is off a New York State Trooper, patrol car. I think around 1996. Still searching for Amber domes in good condition. Got to get these reds off, because I'll get in trouble firing this thing up in the driveway, hahah.

I'm like a moth hovering around cool lights. I can't help it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.