Time for whelen to update the TIR3?

bylawdave

Sep 6, 2010
I was looking over my setup and thinking to myself, the tir3 has been out for A LONNNNNNNG time and has remained pretty much unchanged. We've seen the Lin3 evolve into the Lin4 and finally into the LINZ6, while the little old TIR3 has continued to chug along. Now granted, its a nice little light, but I've always felt it could be brighter. maybe 3 watt LED's or a TIR4????

thoughts ???

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
I believe Nova has tried a 3 watt lighthead, but there's been heat sync issues. They could do a TIR4, but others are already doing it, so why mess with it.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Sho-me has a 3watt led surface mount light!

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
SOUNDS LIKE WHELEN BETTER GET UP WITH SOME TIMES, THEY ARE FALLING HEBIND AS FAR AS LEDS.

They replace one of the better leds they ever made with soemthing that is overrated.

Jim Rogers'

Northern Lights/Sirens

Pods are the Future :mrgreen:

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
Northernlights/siren said:
SOUNDS LIKE WHELEN BETTER GET UP WITH SOME TIMES, THEY ARE FALLING HEBIND AS FAR AS LEDS.
They replace one of the better leds they ever made with soemthing that is overrated.

Jim Rogers'

Northern Lights/Sirens

Have you been following the forum much lately??

The Pioneer LED scene light made by Whelen is really good. They just introduced a new Par46 spot light for cop cars that has a solid LED beam for at least 200 feet, and the LINZ6 is the same size as a Tir3 but with twice the light output. Falling behind??? Where?

Why even spend the time re-engineering a light that seems to be as popular today as it was 5 years ago, especially when it's counterpart, the LINZ6 is near the same price?

Now I will admit in some area's, FedSig and Code3 have a leg up, but I cant see how retooling a Tir3 is going to help that.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Jim Rogers'

Northern Lights/Sirens

Sounds like someone with a known chip on their shoulder about whelen is knocking whelen again.

SurfCityCar2

May 20, 2010
Jacksonville, NC

You must be speaking of the LIN4.

I love the TIR3. Why change something that works great for primary warning, secondary warning and even a traffic advisor?

The LIN3 isn't all that great in my opinion, but the LIN4 kicked butt for a wide angle of light dispersion.

I have a TIR3 Dominator over my RVM and paired TIR3s on my side as rear glass and they do a great job.

I'd rather have something that is tried and true and has a good history than something new and straight out of the design lab. Most of the latest and greatest LED lights out there aren't all that great when compared to the older ones.

Actually, there is a company that is using 3 watt LED diode's in their emergency warning products. I have seen these and they are absolutely INCREDIBLE. The company is called 'RONTAN' and they are the largest company for Emergency Warning in Brazil. They have been in the United States for several years now and they are based in Miami, FL. They make a full line of emergency warning products from Lightbars (Several different types) to dash lights, insertable LED Hide-A-Way's, Stick LED's (similar to the Whelen "Dominator" series and many others. Their newest series called "QUASAR" is the lights that use the new 3-watt LEDs. QUASAR "Delta and Delta D" are really nice in dual color which have the LED's in a Diamond or "triangle" array. Delta is a single version and Delta "QB" DUO is a DUAL version. They have bezels available in both black and chrome. A single LED similar to a Whelen VERTEX but again using 3-Watt LED diodes is called "DELTA DOT". They also have a really nice dash light using the 3-watt LED diode's called "QUASAR TUBE" which can be ordered in either single or dual colors. The pricing is slightly more than lights that use 1-watt LED's but I think it is WELL WORTH THE EXTRA COST! These lights are SUPER bright. There is NOTHIGN on the market today that is brighter than these lights. NOTHING. At least with the same amount of diodes. 1-watt verses 3-watt, you can make the call, but like I said, I have seen these lights and they are incredible lights. Rontan is trying to break into the U.S. Market. They aren't a well known name like all the other "biggies" in the U.S. that sell emergency warning equipment, but I promise you, if you give them a try or check them out at a trade show, YOU WILL be impressed. They are very unique in their design and VERY high quality lighting equipment. They also make incredible sirens of all different types especially small compact designed controllers.

www.rontan.com

When you check out the website, look under "Product Line", then under "Microlites" and you will see most of the QUASAR line. The QUASAR "TUBE" (Dash Light) is under "Interior" lights.

Quasar Dot..png

Qusar Delta QB DUO.png

quasartube.png

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
IMO rontan has always been subpar to the big three. I cannot see them exploding in the USA market today unless they have something fantastic to bring to the table.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
C420sailor said:
You want brighter lights? Really? You can't look at most LED lights for more than a few seconds without burning your retinas.
+1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.