Time to Retire the ol' Beast

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Sad day today.. at least 4 me.
Looks like the time is up for my 98 4Runner. If you have seen any of my videos, or any photos of my lights here on elb you've seen it. It's my trusty workbench (lol), people, and light hauler.

Rust is doing it in.. doesn't look bad until you get under it.. East Coast winters claim yet another one. *Sigh*
It just developed a slight leak in the Rear Differential.. enough to put drip or 2 on the ground.. with all the rust going after the leak is just not worth it. Better to keep an eye on the Gear oil levels and fill as needed.

It's been a very good ride for me, I have had it since 2005(ish) and it's been up and down the east coast, been on many a lightbar find haul and overall is still running strong.

So it's off to AZ come November to hopefully to delay the decay for a few more years and live out its golden years with the inlaws.

Next up is finding a replacement..
Looking at a 4th Gen 4Runner ideally (2006-2009) It would be great to find a fairly low mileage example.. definitely as free of Rust as you can expect.. East Coast and all.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
This is why we used to undercoat cars back in the day to keep thatfrom happening, but it doesn't seem anyone does it anymore, your best bet is a Florida car ( we do t need to salt the roads here ) or west where there isn't a need.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Florida? Where all the tropical cyclones blow salt into even the most minute of crevices?

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Stick with the 3rd gen. wish I had kept mine!

I'd love to but all the options I see out here are rotting underneath.

I have a fairly good lead on an 08 SR5. It's priced very well, and I plan on getting it on a lift to look under it sometime this week.

Wish me luck..

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Well on the plus side I located a replacement.
Found a 2008 SR5 4X4 for a much more reasonable then the dealers wanted price.
Needs some minor work.. V Belt, Tires, 3rd LED brakelight. and some TLC.

The 4th gen 4Runner might be the easiest vehicle I have ever performed an oil change on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.