TIR or LIN?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
So, I have a 10-75 intersection bracket on its way to me, and I am going to put it to use. I have some axixtech LIN 04 LED's I wanted to toss on it, but I am unsure how well the light output will be seeing as they will be mounted vertically, rather than horizontally.

Would I be better off with a pair of TIR light heads? Or will the LIN's work?

Discuss- cause well, I am curious. :lol:

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Lin loses all brightness, I was messing around with that the other day, heres a comparison I did.

Lin loses all potential until you get head on.

TIR because it has optics (mine is horizontal mount) it has some potential, but proper vertical optics are needed.

cpdchief

May 22, 2010
Madison County, AL
Richard P said:
Lin loses all brightness, I was messing around with that the other day, heres a comparison I did.
Lin loses all potential until you get head on.

TIR because it has optics (mine is horizontal mount) it has some potential, but proper vertical optics are needed.

Very unfair comparison. Apples to oranges. Do the same thing with an identical colored light, and then you might be able to make an informed decision. When I've compared them, I've noticed very little drop off in brightness of the LIN light. Yes, there is some, but the LIN is still a very effective light, even head on.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
cpdchief said:
Very unfair comparison. Apples to oranges. Do the same thing with an identical colored light, and then you might be able to make an informed decision. When I've compared them, I've noticed very little drop off in brightness of the LIN light. Yes, there is some, but the LIN is still a very effective light, even head on.

Like stated in my video description, Im not comparing the 2 lightheads against eahother. Im comparing each vertically and horizontally off axis, it doesnt matter what the color is, red blue, amber, it will still have the same light spread. If I really wanted too, I could have used amber TIR in my grill.

Hoot

May 21, 2010
New Jersey
dakarm34 said:
TIR behind tint, LINs if not behind tint.

I've never seen a 10-75 bracket mounted in such a way that it was behind tint. so while the above statement is generally true, it doesn't address the horizontal vs. vertical issue. if you want my two cents, neither are the best choice for vertical mounting. they both spread their light pattern into a wide oval shape. the LIN's even moreso with a nice even spread, and the TIR with hotspots and then a lesser spread. if you rotate the light-head 90 degrees now the oval is a TALL oval. ok, maybe blinding ants and airplanes is a bit of an exaggeration, but it makes the point. when you go off-axis on a wide oval, you're still in the beam pattern. when you go off-axis on a tall oval, it doesn't take much for you to be out of the beam pattern. people will say you can still see the lights, yeah sure, you can "see" them from almost any angle, but the light output is much reduced. a good option would be the TIR's that have the vertically oriented fluted lens that are made to do exactly what you want. if you don't want to get those, then i would choose the regular TIR's.

just noticed a video that illustrates my point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC9wUeA2wT8

first let me say, i LOVE this truck and install. now look at the viper ext's mounted on the pushbar on 45 degree brackets. notice the bright vertically oriented line they draw on the pavement. stand in front of that and they're as bright as they are designed to be. step off to either side and light output drops dramatically.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Since it hasnt really been answered clearly in one post here is my opinion.

Good:

LIN3 (Its going to basically become a TIR lighthead as the output will be best only from straight on and its spread is going to go up and down. Horizontally the bumper is still going to block the light spread backward, and the plate blocking the spread forwards with the 10-75 bracket therefore their is no true spread that you will get from any lighthead in this application)

Better:

TIR3 (Because there is a slight drop in head on output to the LIN heads, however with you actually having the LIN4 and Whelen not making a TIR4 you might just have the same if not better output head on because of the additional LED. In my opinion the drop in a TIR3 to a LIN3 is not huge and the LIN3 head on is still extremely bright)

Best:

TIR3 Vertical Mount Optics (Because obviously this is the situation this lighthead is supposed to be used in, where the light is placed vertical and the optics are built to account for that)

My vote stick with the LIN4 its not going to disappoint, and the difference to go to something else probably wont be worth the hassle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.