Tones to Light/Bell & Wireless speakers

dwk270

Aug 29, 2012
Oregon
When our station gets tones, it comes through a variety of ways. None of them are effective in my opinion. I am looking for a low budget way to incorporate a bell or a light to go off for say 20 sec when tones go off. Also, does anyone know of any wireless solutions for a speaker from a base radio. Right now we have a old hand held that doesn't work and i'd like to replace it with a speaker from our base radio downstairs.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
dwk270 said:
When our station gets tones, it comes through a variety of ways. None of them are effective in my opinion. I am looking for a low budget way to incorporate a bell or a light to go off for say 20 sec when tones go off. Also, does anyone know of any wireless solutions for a speaker from a base radio. Right now we have a old hand held that doesn't work and i'd like to replace it with a speaker from our base radio downstairs.

Not sure what you use for equipment, but the Motorola Minitor amplified chargers have pins on the back that will deliver a "trigger" signal when the unit alerts.

That signal can be used to activate any sort of relay/timer/buzzer/air horn/door lock/vehicle gate/marital aid/etc, that you so desire.

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
You could use a Federal Signal Informer wired to an amp, then to speakers throughout the station. The informer has several tones and lengths of time that they'll activate for.

20 seconds is a LONG time for a station alert, however. Any reason you selected that amount of time? The alert would still be sounding when the dispatcher was talking.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Many of the Motorola mobiles that are commonly used for base stations will decode and alert on Quick Call II. These radios have an emergency alarm circuit that can be triggered by a QC-II alert. That circuit can be used to turn on lights, sound alarms, etc.

My memory says that about a year ago, someone posted an excellent write-up on doing exactly this with a CDM1250. It was part of a thread that someone else started, essentially making the same inquiry as this thread. I bet a minute or two with the search function will find it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.