TOUCH SWITCHES

robertwrackl

Jun 3, 2010
USA NY
Does anyone have information regarding the "rubberized touch switches" such as what TST uses in the Touch Tek switch panels? I would like to create my own switch panel with something similar or with LEDs inside the switch; without using the logic circuits.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
The TouchTek IS a logic system. If you take apart a TT6, you'll find a membrane skin and a circuit board. On the membrane skin there is a carbon disc that presses against tracks on the circuit board. You're not going to be able to do this setup without using microchips. These are specifically designed circuits. Not something one can just make on their own.

led0987

Jul 13, 2010
Joplin, MO
Grab a PCC8 switch system from Whelen. Its probably as close as your going to get to what you want to do. Remote head, very cost effective, relay based and very easy to setup and adjust as needed.

PCC8RLG.jpg

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
*deleted* (found what I was asking a question about)

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
So there's no way to buy just the switches? I'm looking to make my own control panel too, and I'd love to have these switches. I find it hard to believe you can buy individual rocker switches, but not individual rubber push ones...

mjMIff

Jun 2, 2010
Mid-Michigan
What someone already tried to tell you is this is a custom designed system. The logic board behind the switches takes the signal from depressing on the membrane buttons and sends it digitally to the processor in the TSK or Whelen system.

They are not ind buttons per-se, more like how your computer keyboard is made. If you are really hell bent on re-inventing the wheel I am sure this company will turn your schematics into reality.. http://www.membraneusa.com/membrane_switches.html

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
mjMIff said:
What someone already tried to tell you is this is a custom designed system. The logic board behind the switches takes the signal from depressing on the membrane buttons and sends it digitally to the processor in the TSK or Whelen system.

They are not ind buttons per-se, more like how your computer keyboard is made. If you are really hell bent on re-inventing the wheel I am sure this company will turn your schematics into reality.. http://www.membraneusa.com/membrane_switches.html

I've just seen a bunch of pushbutton switches, like the one below:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.e-switch.com/Portals/0/aspdnsf/images/Product/medium/13.jpg

I don't see how a circuit board is necessary. You push it and it makes contact. There has to be a company who makes switches like that, but soft-touch like what's used on the CenCom and SmartSiren and such...

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
In the wide world of the interwebs you can probably find such a switch (maybe) however it would be useless in terms of ability to carry any amps beyond that required to activate a relay or logic circuit.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The reason touch switches have remote boxes is so they can carry the required amps.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
JohnMarcson said:
The reason touch switches have remote boxes is so they can carry the required amps.

I had planned on using relays anyway, I'd only need enough current to trip the relay. And Dave, I checked E-Switch, they don't seem to have the membrane type that many siren manufacturers are using. I'm guessing they all get them from somewhere and don't make them in-house....

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Rofocowboy84 said:
I had planned on using relays anyway, I'd only need enough current to trip the relay. And Dave, I checked E-Switch, they don't seem to have the membrane type that many siren manufacturers are using. I'm guessing they all get them from somewhere and don't make them in-house....

Look for the Non-Tactile switches. I believe models like the LP11 or try e-mailing them.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
DaveCN5 said:
Look for the Non-Tactile switches. I believe models like the LP11 or try e-mailing them.

Yeah, I was looking at those. I think that's actually the best bet, because you can get bi-color options, so they can be red when off and green when activated. Maybe I'll just put the labels on the top, might be able to make it look okay. I'm just surprised that I can't find the ones that siren manufacturers are using. I figure the ones in the Touchmaster Deltas aren't hooked directly to the circuit board (don't have one to check), and those would be perfect, since they do the dual color thing too....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.