Touchmaster Delta Backlight and Aux Button Lighting Issue

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I have two questions in one here about the Touchmaster Delta.

First, how do I get the backlight to light up? I've only seen one on YouTube where the backlight was activated. The poster said that what he did was run a jumper from terminal 1 (Panel) to one of the terminals for the Aux switches. I tried this to no avail. All cables are powered, although I'm using fuses instead of circuit breakers as recommended by the install manual. Would wiring the ignition cable and a jumper from terminal 1 in a way that simulates an ignition switch do the trick?

Second question is about the LED lighting for the Aux buttons. I have them all working just fine, except the buttons used for takedowns and right alleys on the unit that the siren was pulled from are quite dim when activated. Took a closer look and it looks like one of the red LEDs on one button is out and the other either dim or pushed out of place from heavy use. The other button in question has both LEDs functioning, but they're quite dim. Again, they look like they've been pushed out of place by heavy use. The green LEDs on both buttons work just fine. Is there any way to fix the red LEDs on these buttons or would I have to replace the entire button?

Both issues are purely cosmetic; the siren itself functions beautifully. Cleaned it up and straightened out the slide switch as much as possible and have been treating myself to the music of the Unitrol wail ;).

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Connecting terminal 1 to +12V should activate the backlighting.

The TMDs that I've seen typically have several burned out panel lights. The lamps (type 7382, IIRC) are soldered in, so they're unlikely to be replaced in the field.

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
One man's pleasure is another man's pain.

I said that specifically to get a rise out of you, Wailer! Looks like it's mission accomplished ;) . I knew that you'd home in on that comment like a heat-seeking missile. Don't get me wrong, I love the Unitrol wail, but it's not quite in the music category for me. That category's reserved for the older equipment. Anything that literally has you saying anything about how beautiful the tone is, be it the wind up, the rises/falls or the wind down and where you watch a YouTube video of it at least a couple times in a row.

Connecting terminal 1 to +12V should activate the backlighting.

The TMDs that I've seen typically have several burned out panel lights. The lamps (type 7382, IIRC) are soldered in, so they're unlikely to be replaced in the field.

As always, thank you for the info MtnMan! Is there any risk of frying any backlighting by connecting directly to +12V? Should I fuse that connection? If so, what would you recommend?

I kinda figured that the button lights couldn't be easily replaced. Had no clue that the actual lights in the buttons were miniature bulbs and not LEDs. The coloration of the green and red look like what you'd expect of an LED of that era. Checked that model of lamp online and you can get colored filters for them.

How might I go about changing the bulbs or is this something that isn't really worth the hassle?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I said that specifically to get a rise out of you, Wailer!

The Unitrol Touchmaster and 80K wail tones remind me of the 1970s era Federal electronic sirens, all of which had a high-pitched fast rising and slow falling wail tone. I was never fond of that sound. :mad:

The one thing I really do like about the Touchmaster and 80K sirens is that tone that sounds like a telephone ringing. :)

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
The Unitrol Touchmaster and 80K wail tones remind me of the 1970s era Federal electronic sirens, all of which had a high-pitched fast rising and slow falling wail tone. I was never fond of that sound. :mad:

The one thing I really do like about the Touchmaster and 80K sirens is that tone that sounds like a telephone ringing. :)

Agreed on the 80K being a bit higher pitched. Ah yes, the Unitrol Hetero tone and its brother the Unitrol Ultra Hi-Lo. I think that those are universally popular :) .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.