Touchmaster Sweep Question

OPD1222

Jan 30, 2019
OK
I'm pretty well versed on the TM4 but I'm curious how agencies are achieving a much shorter wail in their sweep function on the old school Touchmaster (not the Delta).

Like in this clip
of a Tulsa Police pursuit. Their wail tone in the sweep mode stops just short of peak before cycling to Yelp then ultra hi-lo, whereas all Touchmasters I've had or found videos on the wail runs all the way past its peak in sweep mode before it cycles through the next two tones.

Is anyone aware of a certain unlisted dipswitch config that enables this faster sweep function?

I've seen their siren boxes and they are indeed the old school Federal Signal TM4
and they have ran this faster sweep cycle for almost the last 30 years in Tulsa, so I know it's not just a fluke with this unit.

I know it sounds like a minor difference, but when clearing an intersection that longer wail cycle in sweep mode seems like an eternity before it cycles to Yelp and hi-lo to the point I'm cutting the wail short by double tapping the horn ring function to speed the sweep function along.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

OPD1222

Jan 30, 2019
OK
After some more digging, I found a TM4 doing the same much shorter wail in sweep

But this is the only one I've found. If anyone has some insight on if this was only on one particular year's production or if it's a way to mod I'd appreciate it.

Tulsa PD has always had this shortened wail sweep function so I'm not sure how they've maintained it all these decades if it was just a limited production model.

His is the cali unit marked wail and wail on the rocker switch which is supposed to prohibit the hi-lo, although it definitely has the ultra hi lo in sweep. I dont know if that's enabling the wail difference or not but I would say no because Tulsa PD does not run the cali unit. Their rocker switch has the hi lo option.

Sorry for my OCD over 3 seconds of extra wail, but man that extra 3 seconds kills me when I'm hitting an intersection waiting on what should be a hands free change up of tones. I would like to have that short burst of wail as oppose to almost its full cycle.

Last edited:
Apparently the newer Touchmasters made by FS have the wail go full through. The older Unitrol Touchmasters (the ones made before FS took over) make this specific sound. The Yelp also has a “bow” sound. You can also find this in FS Touchmasters but I’m not sure if they are custom ordered or if the drivers were switched. There are tons of videos on YouTube with a Touchmaster like this. Here’s one:

OPD1222

Jan 30, 2019
OK
Apparently the newer Touchmasters made by FS have the wail go full through. The older Unitrol Touchmasters (the ones made before FS took over) make this specific sound. The Yelp also has a “bow” sound. You can also find this in FS Touchmasters but I’m not sure if they are custom ordered or if the drivers were switched. There are tons of videos on YouTube with a Touchmaster like this. Here’s one:

Awesome! Appreciate the help. Yeah I used to have a Dunbar Nunn Touchmaster (before the FS buyout) that did the much shorter wail in sweep mode. I just have yet to be able to find a Fed Sig TM that will do the same.

The agency obviously bought a huge surplus amount of that Fed Sig model or like you said made a custom order with the old drivers.

But now with the Touchmaster discontinued and agencies having to swap over to the new Smart Siren for the Unitrol tones, it's all about to become a moot question of mine anyway.

Thanks!

Cj80

Jun 17, 2023
KY
I know this is an old post but are those particular siren sounds still available or did they die when they discontinued the touchmaster? Could they be done in a remote control type siren controller?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.