Toyota Tacoma Install Help

skorea2131

May 19, 2016
Connecticut
Going to be doing a small install in my ‘22 Tacoma, and I just wanted to run some stuff by you guys to make sure I get it right.

Included in the install will be 2 Feniex Cannons in the tail lights, a Whelen Century mounted to a Back Rack, and a Strobes n More TruDual mounted into the grill. A Feniex siren speaker is going to be mounted in the grill as well, and a Whelen HHS3200 will be the siren and light controller.

What I’m think is to mount the controller into the rear cubby behind the back seat, and to wire everything into the cabin through an unused grommet in the floor of the rear seat.

I figure I can connect the Cannon syncs in the rear, and splice both grounds and power wires and run them into the cabin. The Century will be wired separately into the cabin as well with a pattern wire included. The TruDual will need 3 outputs (white output, red flash only, and white output with red flash) as well as the ground routed. The siren will also be wired into the cabin.

I’m hoping I can ground everything into a BlueSea inside the cabin near the controller, and route one ground to the battery. I’m thinking I’ll need three power cables going to the battery from the HHS3200, one cable for the ignition and one cable for the backlight (wire into the positive bluesea for the ignition and backlight and have them run off of one ignition fuse?). I’ll also need the six output cables, and 3 grounds coming into the cabin. I think I can get away with 16G wires for everything except the 3 main power, which I will use 12G for.

First time wiring anything besides a few lights and a small switch, so if I’m overthinking stuff or overlooking something, help would be appreciated. Thanks.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Going to be doing a small install in my ‘22 Tacoma, and I just wanted to run some stuff by you guys to make sure I get it right.

Included in the install will be 2 Feniex Cannons in the tail lights, a Whelen Century mounted to a Back Rack, and a Strobes n More TruDual mounted into the grill. A Feniex siren speaker is going to be mounted in the grill as well, and a Whelen HHS3200 will be the siren and light controller.

What I’m think is to mount the controller into the rear cubby behind the back seat, and to wire everything into the cabin through an unused grommet in the floor of the rear seat.

I figure I can connect the Cannon syncs in the rear, and splice both grounds and power wires and run them into the cabin. The Century will be wired separately into the cabin as well with a pattern wire included. The TruDual will need 3 outputs (white output, red flash only, and white output with red flash) as well as the ground routed. The siren will also be wired into the cabin.

I’m hoping I can ground everything into a BlueSea inside the cabin near the controller, and route one ground to the battery. I’m thinking I’ll need three power cables going to the battery from the HHS3200, one cable for the ignition and one cable for the backlight (wire into the positive bluesea for the ignition and backlight and have them run off of one ignition fuse?). I’ll also need the six output cables, and 3 grounds coming into the cabin. I think I can get away with 16G wires for everything except the 3 main power, which I will use 12G for.

First time wiring anything besides a few lights and a small switch, so if I’m overthinking stuff or overlooking something, help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I don’t think you can move enough energy for a lightbar, siren and accessories, I’m thinking a pair or 8ga or 10ga into the cabin for power. The distance from the battery, the length of the “run” plays into this as well. Whelen instructions provide a graph to use as a guideline. I am not an installer, but have experience with installs.
Good luck with your install

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Reactions: Tony P and StEaLtH2

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I’ll probably have to go with 8g for power, 12 for the light bar, and 14 for everything else.
This chart has served me well, I round the distances up and it hasn't been wrong yet. Good luck with the project.

Reactions: skorea2131

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Run 1 6awg to a fuse block. You can power everything off of that. You would probably be ok with an 8awg, Im not sure how much that lightbar draws, but the hhs with only a few lights and a siren wont draw much. Use a circuit breaker or a large fuse at the battery. Run 1 6 or 8awg to a ground stud. Find a nice spot on the body that you can strip the paint off the metal, and attach the ground wire to that. No need to run your ground all the way back to the battery. You can hook your backlight wire and hhs ignition wire together, neither draws any power, they both are just “sensing” wires. 16awg wires will be plenty for siren and cannons. If you aren’t going to use actual ignition, at least hook up a switch to turn the controller on and off. You can use whatever type of fuse block, or ground stud that you want, my main point being, run one ample power wire, and one ample ground to the area of your controller, and fuse everything there.

Reactions: fp13-2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.