Traffic advisor, arrow, signal master etc info thread

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
RoadDawg.. I know on some Whelen controllers it can be changed to control a six or eight lamp array via dip switches.. just a thought on maybe why the ends act a bit shady.
Still doesn't explain all the extra wires tho. Good luck

roaddawg7

Apr 7, 2013
Linden, VA
tried the dip switches when I was messing with it. They do not control the anything but the 6 amber leds for the t/a. Oh well ill just part the bar out or try to see what happens when I cut the extra wires out to make it like it came from the factory

dzik

Dec 22, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
Hello,

I've got a problem with wiring and programming Whelen Cencom Gold build-in Traffic Advisor.
My TA is 6 lamp halogen integrated into Federal Vista Lightbar.
The first question is: whatever TA type (5 or 6 or 7 or 8 lamps) I setup in cencom gold programming software, the TA controller seem to light up all 8 lamps. The TA pattern displayed on cencom gold keyboard is always 8 lamps even if I program that it is 6 lamps.
Is it normal with concom gold or is it a programming issue?
The second question is: because I have only 6 lamps and controller has 8 outlets, which of the outlets should I leave disconnected?
My first guess was take outlets 1 to 6 and leave 7 and 8. But then I checked that even in 6 lamp program cencom still uses all 8 outputs.
It is important because in some flash patterns (for example Triple To Flash) the farthest left and right lamps blink 3 times and others only 1 time.
And these 3 blinks are on outputs 1 and 8.
So my second guess is I should disconnect some of other outputs, logically 4 & 5.
Am I right?
Is there any manual which describes it in details? I've go Whelen installation & programming manuals but no help in them.

Best regards

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Hello,

I've got a problem with wiring and programming Whelen Cencom Gold build-in Traffic Advisor.
My TA is 6 lamp halogen integrated into Federal Vista Lightbar.
The first question is: whatever TA type (5 or 6 or 7 or 8 lamps) I setup in cencom gold programming software, the TA controller seem to light up all 8 lamps. The TA pattern displayed on cencom gold keyboard is always 8 lamps even if I program that it is 6 lamps.
Is it normal with concom gold or is it a programming issue?
The second question is: because I have only 6 lamps and controller has 8 outlets, which of the outlets should I leave disconnected?
My first guess was take outlets 1 to 6 and leave 7 and 8. But then I checked that even in 6 lamp program cencom still uses all 8 outputs.
It is important because in some flash patterns (for example Triple To Flash) the farthest left and right lamps blink 3 times and others only 1 time.
And these 3 blinks are on outputs 1 and 8.
So my second guess is I should disconnect some of other outputs, logically 4 & 5.
Am I right?
Is there any manual which describes it in details? I've go Whelen installation & programming manuals but no help in them.

Best regards

For your first question: Yes, the TA controller should still illuminate each of the eight lights on the controller still. This is because as you mentioned in your second question, it still uses all 8 outputs

For your second question: Yes, you will end up not using two of the outputs and I believe you are correct that you don't use number 4 and don't use number 5. I'll try to find it in the manual.

dzik

Dec 22, 2016
Warsaw, Poland
Thanks for the quick response.
So, what is the purpose of 5, 6, 7, 8 lamp setting, if it still uses all 8 outputs?
And what is the difference between Halogen and LED TA type setting?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.