Trail-Brite Chief

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I bought this today on marketplace pretty cheap. It's a NOS, in the box Trail-Brite Chief Teardrop. It's friction drive and it has the same Chief emblem as Tuff-Bilt. The box says made in Hong Kong as was TB. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Tuff-Bilt rebranded Dietz? I found a Trademark registration for Trail-Brite from 1976 and it looks like it expired in 1999. I don't have it in hand yet, but am curious as to what is stamped on the band. Hopefully a W3 date. If you know anything about it, any info is greatly appreciated.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

4.jpg 5.jpg Name Patent.JPG

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c66_patrol530_tuffbilt001.jpg

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Tuff bilt, Trail Brite, Dietz, all the same light.
Is there a timeline for Tuff Bilt and Trail Brite? I have two TB and they are both W3-79.

I also have a teardrop that says TB77-101. Band around dome says TB 7-07 12 volts dc SAE W3-79

That's a nice Tuff Bilt 7-07. I have two TB and they both have the W3-79 code on them. I don't think there are any other dates on them. I suspect they were made for only a few years under the TB name, #dmathieu would know better than I would.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Skulldigger
I do not think there are any SAE dates prior 1979.

I have a Tuff-Built 7-07 light that I bought from Dietz and a Dietz marked 7-07 light that came in a Yankee box, both with SAE date 1979.

Yankee was owned by Dietz from 1977.

The lens is marked TB on the Tuff-Bilt light but DZ on the Dietz/Yankee light.

The Tuff-Bilt brochure that you show, which I think is my photo I uploaded once, came to me from Dietz.

This Trail-Brit light you have is a new for me.

Michael

Reactions: Skulldigger

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Dietz 7-07, Yankee 1166, Tuff Bilt 7-07, and now Trail Brite 107-07 are all the same teardrop beacon, just different brands, different production times. I have a Dietz, a Tuff Bilt, and a NIB Yankee. I think the SAE date on all of them is 1979.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
@Mars Light
The Sireno 44630 do not have the same lens as the SVP 1166.

The 1166 has the larger lens that are flat at the back.

The Sireno 44630 has the same lens size as the Fire Ball.

I had one Sireno 44630 I bought in 1978 that unfortunatly only the lens and bezel still exists and that lens is the same size as the Fire Ball and the Dietz ”The Chief”.

Maybe a later version sold by the Sirchie Fingerprints owned Sireno sometime after 1981 had the larger lens. Who knows?

Michael

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Here a short list with matching domes:

Group 1:
Yankee 1166
SVP 1166
Sireno 44630 (maybe later version ?)
KD Lamp 875
Dominion Auto
Signal Stat 381 (dome #367)
Sho-me/ Able2 01.0169

Group 2:
Fireball 1
Dietz 7-07
Tuff Bilt 7-07
Trail Brite 107-07
Sireno 44630 (earlier version)

My NIB Yankee 1166 uses the smaller, Federal Signal Fireball size dome.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That is new to me.
All 1166 I know have the same size.

Well, mine is in a box the same size and artwork as the Trail-Brite one in the OP, but mine is marked Yankee
The Chief Emergency Revolving Light.
Model 1166R Red.

Inside the box is a brand new Dietz 7-07 with a red DZ 77-707 dome, slip on eye shield, instructions, and a pair of steel mounting plates. All of this fits into the box for a perfect, no rattle fit. This is how I bought it off of eBay about 15 years or so ago. Perhaps a case of Yankee selling a Dietz product and not wanting to use the Dietz model number?

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
This is the Signal Stat 333A, it's a lot bigger than a Fireball or TB. No real markings on it.

I will say that it is most probably made in Taiwan.

I bought one similar to yours once with the screws for the lens exactly as on yours but replaced it with a blue Federal FB15 lens that has recessed screws.

Mine is made in Taiwan.

The FB15 is also made in Taiwan.

Michael

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Federal Signal stopped making the Fireball FB and FBH, then imported these cheap pieces and sold them as the Fireball FB-15. I had one of these, mine was labeled "Sunbeam". I'm guessing the flash rate was somewhere around 120 fpm. It was not a quality piece.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
So far I have dates for the FB15 being offered as 1987-1989. This would put this light offered at the same time as yhe FB and FBH, which eas discontinued in 1991. I have a 1989 catalog with both lights offered.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
The lights (SS 333A) are actually really good lights and quite effective........ IF..... You recenter the bulb. I have two of these I keep in my vehicles for roadside emergencies. The bulb was set high so the light reflected down. I removed the bulb from it's position, dropped and re-centered the filament, and more than doubled the brightness. It is as bright now and as effective as my TB 7-07 or my Fireball. Some of you may have seen my video of this fix.

Reactions: OliverD and Tony P

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I did receive the Trail Brite light and will make some pictures when I get time. It has a TB-77-707 dome. The band says model 7-07 with the W3-79 as expected.

ejwa

May 22, 2012
Southeastern Kentucky
The lights (SS 333A) are actually really good lights and quite effective........ IF..... You recenter the bulb. I have two of these I keep in my vehicles for roadside emergencies. The bulb was set high so the light reflected down. I removed the bulb from it's position, dropped and re-centered the filament, and more than doubled the brightness. It is as bright now and as effective as my TB 7-07 or my Fireball. Some of you may have seen my video of this fix.

I have the 333-A. What does the process take to make the adjustment?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.