Transforming Twist 'N Lock Strobe to a HAW Strobe

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I was performing an install a couple days ago and ran into a problem. A brand new Whelen HAW strobe wouldn't flash on testing, and my customer needed the car done the next day. So not enough time to ship it to Whelen and get a replacement that fast, and I don't have any extras or any where close that has them. So, what to do!? Thankfully, I am a hoarder of emergency equipment, even if it's broke. I can always use it for something...eventually!!

So, I had a Sho-Me HAW that one of my friends were installing and it fell and busted the tube, and I told him I could at least use the AMP connector, which I did, and I just held on to the rest. And then this new Whelen HAW won't work. So, I have a twist and lock from Whelen, and this busted Sho-Me HAW.

Tools needed:

Half round bastard file (Dremel tool if available)

Multiple drill bits (7/8" largest)

Drill

Vice/Vice grips (Optional, but helps a lot)

Silicone

So here's what happened:

Sho-Me HAW:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I then took a 7/8" step bit and drilled the center from the top down:

3.jpg

Then, I took a smaller bit to make it a bit easier (1/8" drill bit) and when I started drilling, the strobe holder (?) just popped out! Easier than I thought!

4.jpg

5.jpg

So now I work my bits up slowly, growing larger and larger until I get to 7/8" with a normal bit (the step bit wasn't working in my favor). Now, the top of the base has that raised edge, and it must be removed. I took wire cutters and trimmed it down quite a bit, and then used a bastard file to shave it down.

6.jpg

7.jpg

The Whelen twist and lock strobe has 3 tabs on the side that must be filed off also.

Before:

8.jpg

After:

9.jpg

Now try and fit your twist and lock into the "ring". It will likely not fit. So take that bastard file (half round side) and starting filing. Do it little by little, because you don't want to over file. So eventually, this is the final product!

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

So now just lay a bead of silicone in that little gap and I also did on the bottom side to be safe. No, it's not perfect, but it works like a charm!! I don't have pics or video of the install due to the customer not wanting the vehicle publicized, but it did work great...just as well as the factory strobe! Hopefully this will help someone! This trick could also be used with a piece of sheet metal or a piece of plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.