Tripp Lite Mark 12

lowrdsdime

Aug 30, 2010
Hello,

well, as you can see this is my first post to this board and I am also new to the site in general. I recently got two rotating lights that I cannot find much information on. Both of the lights have the name plaque that says they are Tripp Lite brand from Chicago and the Model is a Mark 12. They are complete, both light up but only one motor turns. I am looking to possibly restore these lights to start a little collection and am looking for as much information about them as possible because as or right now I basically know nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated, I tried a couple other forums and they told me to try here.

Thank You

-Chris-

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Chris,

The AC-powered Mark 12 beacon that Tripp-Lite made is still in current production, only it's now part of Tri-Lite, Inc, Tripp-Lite's sister company. I have two MK12 beacons and they are the best rotating beacons you can get for entertainment use. I used them for high school dances and live gigs in a band I was part during that time. In my opinion, they are the largest beacons you can get (12" high x 12" dia) and are real heavy-duty. I wanted these beacons real bad years ago when I was a kid because I've seen them on different TV shows and movies. The most memorable being on "American Gladiators," when the contestants cross the finish line at the end of assault and the long obstacle course at the end of the show. They had them mounted on 4ft tall rectangular columns and were mainly in red, but I have seen a few episodes where they had red and blue. I just liked how big and bright they were!

Skip to 1:45

Video of my MK12s in action alongside a 6-head helicopter disco light :cool::

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg82/Mercer36/Light%20and%20Siren%20videos/th_TriLitesHeloLts.jpg[/URL]

There are differences in the rotator design with the new vs old MK12s. Older MK12 beacons used round, upper and lower, bulb holder plates. They had the two original par46 bulbs that came with it, but the bulb holder also had two extra slots if you wanted a 4-bulb MK12. The current models have C-channel style bulb holders and only run two par46 bulbs.

Tri-Lite's RF-64 beacon uses the round bulb holder plates for its rotator and is the same design as the MK12.

awww.bondorseals.com_more_info_dc_warning_lights_images_rf64.jpg

Parts are still available from Tri-Lite for these beacons. NPS Ranger just beat me to the pdf link for these, I see (sneaky.... :lol: ).

Best of luck in restoring those beacons! BTW, what colors are yours in?

lowrdsdime

Aug 30, 2010
WOW, I was definitely sent to the right place!

Thank you for all of the help and detailed information, I am super excited that I should be able to get parts for these lights. I have one with an orange dome and another with a green dome, the orange dome unfortunately has a small crack in it. Hopefully I can take it all apart, clean it up, fig the one bad motor and get a new pulley and they should be good to go. I hope I become a frequent visitor on this site now that I caught this bug. Once again thanks for the great information.

-Chris-

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
No problem, dude. That's what we're here for :D .

partypros

Feb 15, 2012
Reading, Pa.
I am sorry to bother you too.. again I am brand new to this forum... I own 8 of the Tripp Lite Mark XII beacons. I use and used them for DJing for 26 years now and the guy who taught me back then used them for as long as I can recall.... Love them! But I am having an issue with all but 2 of the fixtures.. (i am down to only using two because of this) I have found that the contacts are bad... My lights are dimming. Some all the time and some are of but running for a few moments they get dim and then bright etc. I have replaced the brushes. But it still keeps happening.... Is my problem that metal ring that the brush presses on? I am guessing that is the problem.. What is that called so I can order it if that is the problem....? Or is there a simple way to clean the metal contacts? When I was a kid I think (not sure) I might have sprayed a little wd40 on it to clean off the brush dust. I know now that I should not do that. (again i cannot recall if i did or did not on some of them.) But knowing me back then... I more than likely did do that... Sad to say... Also the domes are a little dirty etc. Is there any cleaners you suggest for them? I have mainly clear domes and I put Jells over the lamps to give me multi color flashes... I miss them and want to bring them back from the dead. ( i do have places already to purchase parts.. i intend to buy extra brushes, belts, and lamps... and whatever you mention) Your help would be awesome! - Mark -

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
partypros said:
I am sorry to bother you too.. again I am brand new to this forum... I own 8 of the Tripp Lite Mark XII beacons. I use and used them for DJing for 26 years now and the guy who taught me back then used them for as long as I can recall.... Love them! But I am having an issue with all but 2 of the fixtures.. (i am down to only using two because of this) I have found that the contacts are bad... My lights are dimming. Some all the time and some are of but running for a few moments they get dim and then bright etc. I have replaced the brushes. But it still keeps happening.... Is my problem that metal ring that the brush presses on? I am guessing that is the problem.. What is that called so I can order it if that is the problem....? Or is there a simple way to clean the metal contacts? When I was a kid I think (not sure) I might have sprayed a little wd40 on it to clean off the brush dust. I know now that I should not do that. (again i cannot recall if i did or did not on some of them.) But knowing me back then... I more than likely did do that... Sad to say... Also the domes are a little dirty etc. Is there any cleaners you suggest for them? I have mainly clear domes and I put Jells over the lamps to give me multi color flashes... I miss them and want to bring them back from the dead. ( i do have places already to purchase parts.. i intend to buy extra brushes, belts, and lamps... and whatever you mention) Your help would be awesome! - Mark -

Never consider asking for advice on things like this a bother, Mark. You've come to the right place :thumbsup: ! I have to say, when I read you have EIGHT clear-domed Tripp-Lite Mark 12s, I dang near fell off my chair! That's awesome! They are the best AC-powered beacon on the market, and you got them when they were cheap compared to today's prices for the Tri-Lite branded Mark 12s.

For the domes, I would wash them with mild soapy water first, dry them off completely, and then apply some Mequiar's Plastx polish using a Mother's Powerball on a variable speed drill. You can find these items at any auto parts store.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.gpforums.co.nz/attachment.php?s=&postid=6935570awww.mothers.com_02_products_product_images_05140.jpg

Polish at a slow to medium speed until the Plastx is mostly gone. If you have the domes off for polishing, work in managable sections instead of all at once. Much easier that way and less risk of unwanted messes or dome cracking. Hand-buff them dry with a clean, cotton cloth after polishing and the difference will be amazing! I'd do what Dan mentioned above and clean the contacts with his method. For added protection on the contacts and plates, apply CRC electronic cleaning spray after wiping all residue from the contacts clean (also found at any auto parts store).

[Broken External Image]:http://www.eastwood.com/media/catal...e/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p39163.jpg

I do have a question for you: Do you have the Tripp-Lite Mark 12s that you have use the round bulb-holding plates, or the current version using the C-channel plates? I remember that earlier versions of the Mark 12 used the round plates then went to the C-channel design in later years, most likely during the 1980s. Post some pics of all those beasts if you get the chance, I'm super curious to see them:D!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_sale_tripp64.jpg

ai57.photobucket.com_albums_g205_elightbars_sale_tripp74.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
What Marcson said in regards to rotator plates :crazy: :haha: .

Falls5623

Mar 7, 2020
Vermilion ohio
Question i just got a tripp lite rf6 12 volt both wires are the same color can someone tell me which wire would be the positive or an easy way to find out. Thanks for the help in advance

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.