Troubleshooting Typhoon Handheld

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Tried to flip on my typhoon handheld this evening, and got no response from the on/off button. Since then, I’ve
  1. Checked cable connecting siren amplifier and handheld controlled, seems secure.
  2. Checked connections at battery and into the typhoon amplifier, all are secure.
  3. Verified that the hot lead into the amplifier is in fact hot by temporarily connecting it to one of the power wires for my lights.
  4. Out of curiosity, I unscrewed the back of the handheld controller, and there is a tiny little LED on the circuit board that is lit up, which seems to rule out a bad ground, or any other connection issues.
Which leads to me to the assumption that maybe something legitimately went “bad” in the handheld unit itself. Are there any steps I may be forgetting, or other ideas? Otherwise, I guess it’s a phone call to Feniex in the morning...

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Feniex Tech Support was impressed with all the steps I had taken in troubleshooting and agreed that something must be defective. Ended up getting an RMA set up to send it in for warranty replacement, and will have a replacement unit on the way. Still longer than I'd like to be without my siren and controller, but I pulled the wires for my mini-bar and hooked it back up to a cigarette plug, so I at least have my primary warning lights for the time being.

If anything like this happens again, and I have the cash, I'll probably just order a new one from a dealer with fast/cheap shipping, and then once I have that in hand, I'll send the broken one in for warranty repair and sell it once I get it back. Unfortunately, that seems like the most efficient way of limiting out-of-service time, and would end up being just about the same amount of money out of my pocket once everything is settled up.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Yea, them holding funds while waiting for the product is kinda hard on some folks who don't get paid alot... Had the same issue with a Canon once... had to delay rent a week while they decided if I had a defective unit once... When I sent them pictures of me testing it on a battery and it not working I was refunded the next day...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.