Truck with a V10 engine.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Looking to buy a truck with a V10 to do some pulling. Dump trailer, camper, rented equipment, etc. Anyone have a preference between the Ford Triton 6.8 L and the Dodge 8.0 L? Reviews based on prior experience would be really helpful.

Mods/Admin, if this needs to be in off topic please feel free to move it.

John Smith

Oct 19, 2010
CO, US
Can anyone share why neither company, and as far as I'm aware no car company, currently sell a V10 powered vehicle at all, let alone in a truck?

You misspelled diesel.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
The V-10s proved to be more troublesome and not very reliable and didn't give all that great of power. If you are looking for a gas engine, I'd go with the 6.0 in the GM 2500 and 3500 trucks. A VERY dependable and solid engine. It won't win any races, but it will get the job done safely and dependably. As far as Diesels go, Avoid anything 2011 and newer if you can due to the DEF and DPF systems (emissions related) And avoid the 6.0 powerstroke unless it has been heavily modified/bulletproofed as they call it. The 01-04 Duramax was troublesome for injector issues, but after that they had a very good solid engine. I've had 2 of them, an 08 and a 2012. The 12 had some DEF and DPF issues but we got those sorted out. The 08 was my favorite. The Cummins is a decent engine, but everything else around them seems to fall apart on the Dodge's. The Ford 6.7L Diesel has done well, with some DEF issues. I'll be getting back into an HD truck again soon and will be going with either a 2500 GM with the 6.0 V8, or an 2004.5 -2010 Duramax.

Reactions: Sparky_911

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
The Triton v 10s were known to blow spark plugs out of the cylinders.. sleeve and all

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Can anyone share why neither company, and as far as I'm aware no car company, currently sell a V10 powered vehicle at all, let alone in a truck?

You misspelled diesel.

Now this one I can answer. Ford actually still produces the 6.8L Triton V10, and Dodge axed the 8.0L V10 and 8.4L SRT10'S because the Hemi 5.7's and 6.1's were able to produce similar enough horsepower that dodge saw the engines as redundant. There have been sporadic rumors about Mopar possibly introducing a Hemi V10 in a new SRT or HD application, but seeing as these rumors have started around 2011, I highly doubt the project ever got, or ever will get, fully off the ground.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
My only experience is our E350 Type III with a Triton V10. I'ts pretty meh and a gas hog. It was ordered that way only because the Power Stroke diesel wasn't available for that model year.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
My 6.0 GMC Sierra ¾ ton pulls great. Co worker has a 5.7 Dodge ¾ ton and it's a beast as well. He went with it instead of a diesel Dodge because in order to justify the extra cost of the diesel motor he have to put 180,000 miles on it to get the same value for the money. (We were both looking at new trucks at the time). I pull a 7k+ trailer handful of times a year with one of those trips being 700miles through KY, TN, NC mountain country and it works just fine.

This of course is all relevant depending on your needs. If you're pulling 7k+ long distance regularly or multiple times a week then go diesel. Otherwise any modern(ish) V8 will perform better than a V10.

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
How new you looking to buy? Ram has the 6.4L V8 starting in 2014. I have one in a 2014 Ram 2500 and it's a powerhouse for a gasser and doesn't do terrible fuel mileage wise. It's just a simple, reliable pushrod engine that should have great longevity. It does have MDS but I don't see an issue with that, my truck has 170k on it and has never given trouble. 2003 was the last year for the 8.0L V10 in a Dodge. Worst part about those trucks is that most of them are just rust buckets at this point. My previous rig was an 01 Dodge 2500 and I replaced it because it was literally falling apart from the corrosion and wasn't worth dumping a lot in to, it's almost impossible to find a 2nd Gen Ram in good condition in my area anymore.

I don't know much about the Ford V10 other than the spark plug issue and I've heard from some that they are a little disappointing in the power department. A friend of mine has a V10 in his 2017 F550 service truck and I don't think he's ever seen more than 6 MPG out of it.

I really wouldn't be afraid of a 5.7L Hemi either for what you would like to do.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Sparky, looking for about the same. Not a daily driver, just a truck to get work done with as needed, and to pull a rv trailer the wife and I are planning on getting as a reminder to take a dang vacation once in a while.

MRFD715, not trying to get anything too new, as this will primarily be a working truck, so I'll be wanting to keep the cost relatively lower, both for purchasing and annual registration fees.

MRFD715

Apr 23, 2013
Iowa
MRFD715, not trying to get anything too new, as this will primarily be a working truck, so I'll be wanting to keep the cost relatively lower, both for purchasing and annual registration fees.

Then I would agree with the other poster that said any modern gas V8 will suffice. Just find something in good shape and make sure it is geared well enough to tow with. Condition would be more important to me than miles.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Thank you all who contributed. After careful consideration and shopping the local market, I settled on a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 magnum in it. Just picked it up today.

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
My canteen is searching for a replacement motor for our blown engine in our excursion... Hard to find something that should have been gas!

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
219984finally figured out how to share the pic

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Shes a beaut clark!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.