Trusted Radio Brands/Systems

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
How do I know which type of radio (brand or system) to use for my application?

Discuss!

Please keep it clean and organized, this forum section is heavily moderated to keep information organized. We're going to use content from these discussions to compile a helpful guide for users seeking information about products in this industry.

Firefighter6940

Aug 30, 2011
Tuknhannock PA
It all really depends on what you need. If you need Trunking, P25 digital, DMR (TRBO), or just plain Analog.. Whether you need a radio with signalling capabilities like MDC1200, or Kenwoods Fleetsync, or 2-Tone Encode/Decode, or DTMF. 

If you need only analog radios some handheld radio's I'd recommend are:
Portables:
Motorola HT1250
Motorola HT1000
Motorola MT/MTS2000

Icom IC-F70/80 T/S

Kenwood TK2180/3180

HYT TC780 (Recommend for EMS/PD)

Relm  RP3600 (recommend for EMS/PD) 

Mobiles:
Motorola GM300 (Narrowband) 

Relm RM800

Kenwood TK790 

If you need something P25 Phase 1

Portables:

Motorola XTS series 
Motorola APX series (without the Phase II upgrade) 

Icom F- 70/80 DS/DT
Icom F-9011/F9021

Kenwood TK-5210

Mobiles:

Motorola ASTRO Spectra
Motorola XTL series

Icom IC-F1721/F2721

Kenwood TK 5710/5810
Kenwood TK 5720/5820

And P25 Phase II

Portables: 

Motorola APX series with the P25 Phase II upgrade

Harris Unity

Thales Liberty

Mobiles: 

Motorola APX Mobiles series

Harris Unity. 

Most, if not all radios will do either MDC1200 or Fleetsync. Most of them do 2 Tone Decode/Encode. All of them will do Analog!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fleetcomm

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
If you are shopping brands I like to stay with the largest one because of customer service. I would check in your area and see who provides service and how long they have been in business. I like Motorola because they have great customer service, they are very expensive and work very well in bad conditions and if you consider cost over time Motorola is not that bad. Kenwood is good but, customer service is not as good.

M.Link

Oct 21, 2013
PDX, OR
I like ICOM radios. We run them in all our trucks and equipment, except two, that have Motorola PM1500s. The 1500s are 100watt VHF, the ICOMS we use are IF-C 5021s with 50 watts of power. In my experience the 50 watt ICOMs work just as well, if not better, than the 100 watt Motorolas, and cost 1/3 the price. We have even had one of the Motorolas fail and had to be sent in for repair.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I've had a few styles and I say the motorola ht1250 can take a beating and works well.

The icom fv50 is ok but quite small, the icom f30gt however is a very nice radio. The icoms we have are programed w/ the qc2 alert it's pretty nice option on a portable.

I currently use a Vertex 924 radio and it's OK. Some times its hard to read, seems a little limited on the TX side too. The icom f30gt doesn't seem to have the same issues in the same spots either.

The Vertex is issued and stays in my truck/gear and the icom is a backup usually stays in the house.

You can't really go wrong with the big names though.

I do have a baofeng that I use for uhf/vhf and it is OK for the price it was cheaper than a dual band scanner. I use it for rx only. TX is disabled

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
We run ht1250 portables with no problems I run a m1225 mobile 20 ch in my pov and we also run Motorola 1250 mobiles in all of our trucks

ckgarside

Jul 9, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
When lives matter, I choose Motorola. Their equipment is over-engineered and battle proven.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.